Do Not Sell My Personal Information

heater

rick lloyd

Hi guys new to the club and looking for some help ,i have a new ford courier van with the 1.5 d engine fitted and the problem is it takes a age to warm up  around 20 minutes of driving before any warm air starts to come thourgh,now that ok when the weathers ok but takes so long to clear the ice of the screen ,so any help would be great cheers rick

i had a 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci and now have a 2015 1.5tdci.  yes they do take a while to warm up.  That's a sign of an efficicient engine (but not convenient for demisting). that's why i made sure my fiestas had the quickclear windscreens on them  (yes i know it sounds a bit smug)

Thanks for the reply,s gents ,i wanted the heated screen when i went looking for a new van but the one i bought was such a good deal i had to have it ,only other thing is the 1.5 is a bit gutlish anyone used the tuning boxs or remaps to help 

no, not tried any tuning boxes/remap. I agree about it being gutless, mine feels that way. Mine is 94 bhp. My older 1.6tdci was much better. the 1.5 is only 61cc less, but has 4% more power and 10% more torque on paper than my old one , it should feel as good as my 1.6 (90bhp), but is not. (my older 1.6 had twincam 16v, the 1.5 has one cam 8valves). 

On 08/11/2016 at 7:01 PM, rick lloyd said:

problem is it takes a age to warm up  around 20 minutes of driving before any warm air starts to come thourgh

That really does not sound right!

My 1.8TDCI is slow to warm up, with its dirty great cast iron block & head. (Nice engine in most other ways, though!). But I get a trace of warmth in 2-3 minutes (though that is on a hilly 60mph road). With outside temp above 10C, it takes about 5 miles to get hot enough to turn the heater down a bit, and about 8 miles to reach thermostat opening temperature of 80C.

So unless your 20 minutes is trundling around town at 20-30mph, I would suspect a dodgy thermostat. You can test this by feeling the hose to the radiator (from the cylinder head), it should not get more than slightly warm until the engine reaches full temp, then it will heat up too hot too touch quite quickly.

Though in winter, it may never reach operating temperature just idling. Diesels are a bit too efficient for that! (I have got an extra temperature sensor on the radiator hose to check for just that problem, amongst a few other similar mods.)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club