Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

login

mk7 ford fiesta wont start

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys im new to the forum and i am need of some help.

My 57 plate fiesta 1.25 will not start i keep getting a message on the check display saying engine fault and then high engine tempreture. All the car is doing is lighting up and not turning.

Hope someone can help me out here as the car has been parked up for a while :unsure:

thanks

My 57 plate fiesta 1.25 will not start i keep getting a message on the check display saying engine fault and then high engine tempreture. All the car is doing is lighting up and not turning.

Hope someone can help me out here as the car has been parked up for a while :unsure:

thanks

need more info on the subject.

do you mean everything works but you turn the key and the engine wont turn over?

thanks

Obvious question, is the battery fully charged?

need more info on the subject.

do you mean everything works but you turn the key and the engine wont turn over?

Yes everything works fine locks, lights, tape etc the engine just does not turn over and the battery is fully charged. I have had the car up and turned the engine manualy and it turs freely.

Do you by any chance have a multimeter?!

If so, get it on the smaller starter wire going to the starter, not the big fat one, the little one which actuates it.

Then get someone to turn the key for you, see if you have 12volts to the motor...

gota start with the basics! the engine code/malfunction message maybe a red herring.

Piggy :)

Do you by any chance have a multimeter?!

If so, get it on the smaller starter wire going to the starter, not the big fat one, the little one which actuates it.

Then get someone to turn the key for you, see if you have 12volts to the motor...

gota start with the basics! the engine code/malfunction message maybe a red herring.

I have already tried that and its fine thanks for the advise though.

Any other sugestions?

So you have 12volts to the starter when you turn the key...but the starter doesn't turn?!

Erm...starter motor!

Little off topic maybe, but a 57 plate would be a mark 6.5?

So you have 12volts to the starter when you turn the key...but the starter doesn't turn?!

Erm...starter motor!

If thats the case why would it say high tempreture on the display?

how do you know for sure that the battery is fully charged? you could try disconnecting the battery for half an hour just to reset everything.

how do you know for sure that the battery is fully charged? you could try disconnecting the battery for half an hour just to reset everything.

ive done that 2 still no luck

As I said, maybe a red herring...it maybe that the sensor is misreading.

However, basic electronics, a starter motor has a 12v feed (big fat wire) and an actuator wire (smaller wire) to get the big relay to switch the power to the motor and turn the engine.

If you got 12v on both wires when you turn the key to start the engine but the motor dont turn...well it gotta be the motor!!!

Try giving the motor relay a bit of a wack with a mallet or hammer and piece of wood while someone is turning the key to start...maybe a sticky starter relay.

Has to be that...worry about some stupid temp sensor and dumb ECU later!! :lol:

Take it back to the dealer, surely you're within warranty? Or am I being dense? If so I apologise...

As I said, maybe a red herring...it maybe that the sensor is misreading.

However, basic electronics, a starter motor has a 12v feed (big fat wire) and an actuator wire (smaller wire) to get the big relay to switch the power to the motor and turn the engine.

If you got 12v on both wires when you turn the key to start the engine but the motor dont turn...well it gotta be the motor!!!

Try giving the motor relay a bit of a wack with a mallet or hammer and piece of wood while someone is turning the key to start...maybe a sticky starter relay.

Has to be that...worry about some stupid temp sensor and dumb ECU later!! :lol:

I gave that a try but had no luck so gave the car a good push in second but still no luck. I think it is going to be some kind of sensor. Will have a good sniff around tommorow.

If you got 12volts constant on the big fat wire, and 12volts on the actuator wire when you turn the key to its 3rd 'start engine' position, it has to start with the motor...try giving the motor 12volts via a wire from battery with engine in NEUTRAL obviously, see if she spins then :)

You gota ensure the basics and work out from there :)

Yes everything works fine locks, lights, tape etc the engine just does not turn over and the battery is fully charged. I have had the car up and turned the engine manualy and it turs freely.

TAPE in a 2 year old car???

TAPE in a 2 year old car???

I was surprised at that, but apart from 1.25 aint sure what it is as the forum topic says mk7 and he says 57 plate! :lol: