Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive Issue MK1 1.8 Diesel

Paladine

So I have had a lot of work done to the Focus since I got it 18 months ago - has cost me a pretty penny.  I recently had to get the entire injection system replaced which fixed many of the issues I was having.

However, now I have another strange issue.  I am getting no power to the wheels between 1500 and 2000RPM when I put my foot down.  RPM increases engine noise increases but there is no power going to the wheels - it is almost like a slipping clutch but this is happening when I am not using the clutch.

Basic example - I am on the motorway in 5th doing 140km/h and a truck decides to pull out - I have to slow down to around 90km/h which drops the rpm to around 1300-1500.  Truck pulls back in, I put my foot down to get back up to speed and the wheels get no power (despite increasing engine noise and revs) until I get over 2k RPM (I have to back off on the throttle and re-apply to get power to the wheels).

So I am no mechanic but this sounds like either the gearbox or the differential - I am leaning more towards the differential although the gearbox has done 223k km so could just as easily be a likely candidate.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Paladine

if the revs increase and the car does not get any faster then the clutch is worn out (the clutch is slipping). 

5 hours ago, Paladine said:

I put my foot down to get back up to speed and the wheels get no power (despite increasing engine noise and revs) until I get over 2k RPM (I have to back off on the throttle and re-apply to get power to the wheels).

So I am no mechanic but this sounds like either the gearbox or the differential

I agree with Isetta. Your description can't apply to a differential, it has completely positive gear drive, and would have to break  to do that. Same for a manual gearbox.

Max torque is around the 2000 rpm mark, so that is when a clutch is first likely to start slipping. Usually as the clutch gets more worn, the slip range increases, until you have to be very gentle with the throttle, and can pull away from stationary with the clutch fully released. At least that is what I had on two of my cars, many years ago now though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club