Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus Ecoboost - No stop start

Pebbleheed

Hi,

I bought a 62 plate 2013 MK3 Ecoboost Ford Focus second hand. It was a cat D and it's been repaired.

The car's done 33,000 miles and seems in decent condition. It drives nice and I love it.

My girlfriend has the Ecoboost Fiesta. The stop start works perfectly on that, but on my Focus it hasn't kicked in once. 

The previous owner stated it usually works but that it's been stood a few weeks and the battery was low. I didn't believe that to be honest but as the rest of the car was fine I took a chance as it was at a decent price.

Anyone know of any issues that stops the stop start working?

The (A) button is turned on and there are no warning lights coming on when I start the car.

He means the stop start deactivation button is illuminated which means there is a fault in the system.

The car requires a (Enhanced Flooded battery )

If the battery is as old as the car it will not achieve the design parameters required by the system, 

1 thing to try if you wish is to attach a battery charger and allow it to charge fully and see if it improves things.

If not, a new battery is required. It has to be the correct type or the system will never function again.

Jamie

• Like 2

what i was implying is he pushing the button to iluminate and in effect turning it off when thinking it was turning stop start on ??

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

what i was implying is he pushing the button to iluminate and in effect turning it off when thinking it was turning stop start on ??

i/we dont know LOL :laugh: until the OP gets back to us :P 

Jamie

• Like 1

I would rather mine didn't work. I wish i could turn it off permanently instead of having to turn it off everytime I get in the car.  For my drive to and from work (33 miles each way) the time the engine would be off is small. I just find it annoying and the starter motor will of course not last as many years as it otherwise would.  (perhaps the answer is to fit an incorrect battery )

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

what do you mean by the a button is turned on?

The stop start button is not pressed to disable stop start. I meant I’d just left it activated. 

If I push this button it tells me stop start is disabled. If I push it again it tells me it’s enabled. So I’ve left it enabled.

2 hours ago, james_60 said:

He means the stop start deactivation button is illuminated which means there is a fault in the system.

The car requires a (Enhanced Flooded Battery )

If the battery is as old as the car it will not achieve the design parameters required by the system, 

1 thing to try if you wish is to attach a battery charger and allow it to charge fully and see if it improves things.

If not, a new battery is required. It has to be the correct type or the system will never function again.

Jamie

There’s no other signs of poor battery though. It starts fine and all settings are remembered in stereo etc. 

Is there an easy way to test the battery

If it was the wrong type of battery for stop start would the car still function? 

The car is programmed to accept a certain battery type from the factory if it is not the correct type it wont work.

The battery may start the car and run perfectly but if the stop start system does not detect the correct voltage or amps it will refuse to work.

I had this very issue with my 2013 focus titanium x. 

Im afraid that you may have to take the car to the fraud dealer (ford) and have the system reset.

When this system came out with the mk3 focus there were a LOT of people in the same boat as you. 

They must have made the system more accepting in the mk3.5 as i have touch wood not had 1 single issue with stop start.

TBH if you can do without it. Do so. but if you want it working a brand new Motorcraft battery and a stop start recalibration is what you require.

Im sorry if i have made you depressed but i stress this was a big issue a few years ago and it got on a lot of peoples nerves.

Jamie

p.s you only have to type in focus mk3 stop start not working and you will see hundreds of posts about it

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ford+focus+2013+stop+start&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB735GB735&oq=2013+focus+stop&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6626j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Thanks 1

So if I open the bonnet and it’s a different brand of battery to Fords own battery then that’s likely to be the issue?

Do I need a specific model of battery or is it just a motorcraft battery?

Whats involved in the reset? And I presume it’s something I can’t do myself and something that will be expensive? 

If you pop into a ford dealer with your vin number they will look up on the parts system and tell you the exact battery the car needs or came with out of the factory, it has to be a flooded cell type of the right ah/cca etc.

yes if its not the correct one it wont work.

im wondering if leaving the car disconnected overnight might reset it, im sure someone more knowledgeable will help soon.

Hope this helps

Jamie

• Thanks 1

I’m glad it’s likely to be something as simple as this. Although I suspect it still won’t be cheap :D

Thanks for your help. 

even if it starts the battery may not be sufficiently charged for stop start to function. get it checked at a garage that can check a stop start battery.

• Like 1

Purchased my 12 plate TitX 3 months ago and had the same issue with start/stop not working. A 500 mile round trip to Devon a couple of weeks back seems to have sorted the issue as its worked ever since.  The long journey at 2k+ revs has probably charged the battery to a state where the voltage is sufficient for start/stop to work.

Also noticed that if I try to turn on the stereo when I first get in the car without the engine on it won’t turn on. It’s totally dead. I have to turn the engine on first, then the stereo will turn on. 

Suspect it looks like a better issue?

My local garages don’t seem to stock the battery I need. Even Halfords and quick fit say they don’t stock it when I check my reg on their website. 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-Start-Stop-EFB-Car-Battery-EL652-P10098.html

as your saying it starts fine, and you cant find a garage to do a test on the battery, i would first do a reset. try it, then if that doesnt get stop start working , buy the battery on the link. 

what battery have you got on at the moment? efb? if your unsure, take a photo of label of battery and post up on here. 

is it worth the effort?  just live without the stop start and conserve your starter motor

• Haha 1

i dont know of any starter motor failures on ecoboost stop start so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

i dont know of any starter motor failures on ecoboost stop start so far.

LOL careful you might wear it out hahha think before stopping

mine had alot of stop starting in 4 yrs. fortunatly or not depending on your view stop start has funtioned on mine consistantly in that time with just a few exceptions( and that depended on driving style and my distance to work ( for a while it was only 2 miles from work)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iantt said:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-Start-Stop-EFB-Car-Battery-EL652-P10098.html

as your saying it starts fine, and you cant find a garage to do a test on the battery, i would first do a reset. try it, then if that doesnt get stop start working , buy the battery on the link. 

what battery have you got on at the moment? efb? if your unsure, take a photo of label of battery and post up on here. 

Embarrassingly I couldn’t see my battery today when I looked. I found the fuses but no battery

I did a vehicle test on the test menu with the ‘hold ok and turn ignition’ trick. It showed my battery after standing over night was 11.2. 

Not sure what my battery should show as but would that help diagnosing this?

dont rely on the voltage test on the display, very inacurate.
battery is next to the fusebox. there will be a cover over it. just pull the black plastic cover off.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, iantt said:

dont rely on the voltage test on the display, very inacurate.
battery is next to the fusebox. there will be a cover over it. just pull the black plastic cover off.

The battery looks to be a ford one. 

The cell window is black. On my other non-Ford cars in the past this was green unless there was an issue. 

Could this be the problem?

996006E4-F249-4C25-8BF7-4C0C618798A8.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club