Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo mk5 steering problem

Eric H

Had a problem 4 weeks ago, as I turned the steering wheel to reverse off my, drive the wheel pulled back to the middle. No matter which way I turned it pulled back quite strongly to the middle. When I got it back from Ford they said it needed a software update? This morning it did it again, anyone had a similar problem? 

Sorry to hear that, it’s not something I’ve come across or heard of on the other Mk5 groups. If you are on Facebook then let me know, there is a great page I can recommend which is full of good guys and it is very very active

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it back to Ford, it's not going to be a home fix

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vectra said:

Anything to do with lane assist?

If it is it sounds broken!

On 13/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, 1979Damian said:

If it is it sounds broken!

Or it could be detecting something that thinks it is a lane as he is reversing out and correcting it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that the lease company didn't send the car back to Ford for the steering problem because it was out of warranty. The software update was just something to do with headlamp recall. Ford haven't heard of the steering problem that I have. Lease company says they haven't seen my problem. This is the report from the AA.

" We have arranged for recovery of your vehicle. Arrive with customer steering violently going against way you turn, check dtc's none stored, electric motor driven rack, suspect failure internal recover to hire company for repair - " 

• 2 months later...

Just got the car back after 5 weeks ,started to bring up warning ESC service required then Steering assist malfunction  service required. New steering rack and everything fitted 1 day later still doing same thing!!!! Ford are scratching there heads????  

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:39 AM, Eric H said:

Just got the car back after 5 weeks ,started to bring up warning ESC service required then Steering assist malfunction  Service required. New steering rack and everything fitted 1 day later still doing same thing!!!! Ford are scratching there heads????         https://youtu.be/ftRMQMToYd0                                          https://youtu.be/ftRMQMToYd0

• 2 weeks later...

I have lane assist and keep it switched off in the menu. I think the lane assist works off the camera located in front of the mirror. If it is not software related then it could be a faulty camera or relay. Pop the relevant fuse out to see if it is a problem with the camera. The car will tell you of the error but by removing the fuse the self centering might stop. Check the relevant relay too. Try to narrow it down. 

The only recent recall was for LED lights.

There's a few mentions of this in the Edge forum 

• 9 months later...

Bringing back an old post as I have the exact same issue Did you ever get this sorted??? Mines is out of warranty so stuck paying for this out my own pocket and want to make sure I dont end up stuck paying for multiple fixes to get the right one. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club