Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 revs

MM92

Hi,

I've recently got a MK2 1.6 LX and I'm not sure if the revs are high or standard.

When I'm in fifth doing 70 it's at 3,200 which is about 2-300 more than my old 1.6 MK1 Zetec did.

Is this at the right level or does it need adjusting?

That is completely correct.

Hower 7,200 RPM at 70 MPH seems a typo to me. I suspect that you mean 3,200 RPM?

The Focus MK2/MK2.5 is much heavier than the Focus MK1/MK1.5. The 1.6 Duratec petrol engine is basically a bit underpowered for the quite heavy Focus MK2/MK2.5. To make the car perform acceptably Ford changed the gear ratios. Compared to the Focus MK1/MK1.5 this resulted in a higher RPM at the same speed/gear.

Because the 1.6 Duratec Petrol engine is quite underpowered for the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the engine needs to be revved quite hard. This also results in pretty poor MPG figures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MM92 said:

Hi,

I've recently got a MK2 1.6 LX and I'm not sure if the revs are high or standard.

When I'm in fifth doing 70 it's at 3,200 which is about 2-300 more than my old 1.6 MK1 Zetec did.

Is this at the right level or does it need adjusting?

Yep as JW1982 says 3200rpm is right, I’m getting 34mpg in mine just now on a 7 mile daily journey to work and 7 miles back, in summer I get around 36 and up around 39mpg on a 300 mile motorway journey!

You can't adjust the gear ratios unless you were to completely change the gearbox to a different one or change the final drive ratio. If they are anything other than what they were designed to be then your clutch is slipping.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club