Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mobile phone data

Mikeguitar

A small techie problem.

ok so I only use my smart phone for text/ phone calls. I'm on a pay as you go tariff. How smart is that? Here's my query. I have my phone synced to the fiesta with bluetooth. I have data on the phone disabled, after all I don't want data charges. Anyway, I think the Sony sat nav installed gets traffic info from the nearest phone cell, hence its ability to inform of route problems and recalculate etc. Is it possible that it overrides my disabled data switch on the phone as Virgin ( my provider ) have deducted £15 from my account due to data useage,  I've checked my account and sure enough there's several data useages per day, only a few hundred kbyte but enough for Virgin to charge me. I know I'm a bit of an Luddite and maybe should opt for a phone contract but there you go. Would be interested to hear of your thoughts

I wouldn't have thought it would be able to override it, if you're on android you can see what apps are using your data though.

Also I would recommend you to get on Giffgaff if you can, I pay £20 for 9GB of data then after the 9GB, you still get data its just slower between 08:00 - 00:00, so kinda unlimited.

Its also not a contract you can cancel anytime with no charges, Maybe check it out.

The car shouldn't be able to over ride it.  Check your auto-updates on the phone and make sure they are set to WiFi only, no background data.  And as above, check what else is actually using the data - first time I linked my standalone sat nav for traffic I used 50p in an hour!  Turned out half the apps on my phone wanted to use data as soon as it was switched on!  These can be individually disabled though, now the sat nav alone uses about 1MB per hour in normal traffic (5p per hour on my current PAYG tariff) but can be more or less depending on the amount of traffic info available.

Thanks for the replies guys. ToXicG I'll have a look at giff gaff, the only reason I'm not using mobile data, I get frustrated at monthly cost etc. I'm on the internet all the time with iPad etc, if I did go mobile data I'd never be off.

Thanks also TomsFocus. I'm certain I shouldn't be consuming data, I've checked every possible consumer so to speak.

also checked auto updates set correctly

unfortunately for the time being, well until I get a monthly contract. I'm going to disable the phones bluetooth

1 hour ago, Mikeguitar said:

Thanks for the replies guys. ToXicG I'll have a look at giff gaff, the only reason I'm not using mobile data, I get frustrated at monthly cost etc. I'm on the internet all the time with iPad etc, if I did go mobile data I'd never be off.

Thanks also TomsFocus. I'm certain I shouldn't be consuming data, I've checked every possible consumer so to speak.

also checked auto updates set correctly

unfortunately for the time being, well until I get a monthly contract. I'm going to disable the phones Bluetooth. 

If you have an Android phone set the data limit to 0MB and set it to disable data when you reach that. You can also remove the "APN" settings from your phone (note them down), which will prevent any data access at all.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club