Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smax faulty horn please help

Sausages

Hi all, I have just bought a 2007 smax and I am now finding all the problems I hadn't noticed when I test drove it. Who would have thought to test the horn! Anyway . I can get the horn to sound when bridged across the relay connections and I have power at the  horn switch in the steering wheel. I have tested the relay with power from a battery charger and it switches. Its just when i press the horn i have no power at the relay. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sausages 

On 1/20/2018 at 7:45 PM, Sausages said:

Hi all, I have just bought a 2007 smax and I am now finding all the problems I hadn't noticed when I test drove it. Who would have thought to test the horn! Anyway . I can get the horn to sound when bridged across the relay connections and I have power at the  horn switch in the steering wheel. I have tested the relay with power from a battery charger and it switches. Its just when i press the horn i have no power at the relay. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sausages 

When you say the relay "switches" have you physically tested for continuity between the switched contacts or are you just hearing the click? They can still click (the electromagnetic coil is still working), but the contacts make no contact inside it. 

Does anything else not work on the steering wheel if you have any steering wheel controls? Any ABS/ESP lights?

Hi Micro, thanks for getting back to me. I have bench tested the relay and it switches and allows current to flow.

I have no clicking when it is in the fuse box. It suprised me to find I have power at the horn switch as I thought it should  just be a negative feed to the relay.

I do have a positive feed into the relay but when the horn is pressed no negative so the relay doesn't throw. If I supply a negative feed to the relay the horn does sound. 

From my description you can see I'm a bit of a novice, I hope it makes sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Sausages 

Forgot to say all other steering wheel controls are working. I do have an abs fault but I don't think it's connected. Its wss failure on the front left I think. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club