Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Key Free Hack ?????

hedgie

Having just chopped my 4 year old Fiesta Titanium for a new one - I'm impressed with the  "key free start button" - and it got me thinking ......

As the system has to be aware that I have the Key fob on my person to power up the ignition start sub system and the same key fob has an "open door" press button on it  - surely it's only a software issue for the door lock/unlock sub system to recognise the key fob and open the doors  for me? 

Clearly Ford have that option further up the model range but it is just a simple hack that some smart software engineer know how to do?

Or is my logic faulted :rolleyes:

If you mean keyless entry this has additional sensors and also different door handles to just keyless start.

• Like 1

Yep it is possible to hack you car (check youtube for videos how to prevent it) that why I believe it`s worth to keep your key secured(no close to door or window or just put in special wallet that will block waves.

http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2017ams/materials/D2T2 - Yingtao Zeng, Qing Yang and Jun Li - Car Keyless Entry System Attacks.pdf

When you close from key fob should prevent of opening without key i believe- easiest way.

As @alexp999 mention there is difference between keyless open and keyless start - depends what option you`ve got.

Thanks

Just now, Tuha said:

Yep it is possible to hack you car (check youtube for videos how to prevent it) that why I believe it`s worth to keep your key secured(no close to door or window or just put in special wallet that will block waves.

http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2017ams/materials/D2T2 - Yingtao Zeng, Qing Yang and Jun Li - Car Keyless Entry System Attacks.pdf

When you close from key fob should prevent of opening without key i believe- easiest way.

Thanks

I think they were just asking if the car's config could be "hacked" to turn on keyless entry. Not that it can be stolen through keyless (although it can be).

Unless I'm mistaken @hedgie ?

21 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I think they were just asking if the car's config could be "hacked" to turn on keyless entry. Not that it can be stolen through keyless (although it can be).

Unless I'm mistaken @hedgie ?

I agree, and I was wondering about this too: the car obviously has the broadcsting keys and a sensor for starting, my car has the keyless lock symbol embossed on the door handles - is all the hardware actually in place and it's just a matter of enabling it? There is a chap on here that unexpectedly got keyfree entry without specifying it when it should have only been keyless start - might support this theory....?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club