Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade Sync 3 APIM to Navigation version

srbuk

I have just bought a 2017 Fiesta (new Fiesta B479) for wife.  Although it is Titanium trim level it was built (misbuilt!) with the non Navigation version of the Sync 3 APIM module.  Does anyone know if it possible to upgrade to the correct module and reprogram (even if by a Ford dealer) as my dealer is saying that it is not possible to do?  I find this hard to believe as I think the module is the only thing that changes between the Nav and non Nav versions.  It would seem madness if this could only be done in the factory at time of build.  

Antenna, loom, module, screen size? Not 100% sure.

13 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Antenna, loom, module, screen size? Not 100% sure.

All possible I suppose. Screen size in this case is the same so not that. I thought the gps antenna would be integrated into the correct module.  Do they really produce more than one wiring looms, I didn't think car manufacturers did that these days.

54 minutes ago, srbuk said:

All possible I suppose. Screen size in this case is the same so not that. I thought the gps antenna would be integrated into the correct module.  Do they really produce more than one wiring looms, I didn't think car manufacturers did that these days.

I have now discovered that the module has a connector for the antenna/aerial so that isn’t built in to the module.  But does gps share the same antenna as the radio (FM/DAB)?

If the car you received is not how you spec'd it then surely you have the right to refuse it until they can provide you with what you ordered

46 minutes ago, srbuk said:

I have now discovered that the module has a connector for the antenna/aerial so that isn’t built in to the module.  But does gps share the same antenna as the radio (FM/DAB)?

Would have thought they would be different.

Stereo facia will be different too wont it as there will not be a button that says nav or navigation on it to select Sat nav mode either.

19 minutes ago, FiestaAndy said:

If the car you received is not how you spec'd it then surely you have the right to refuse it until they can provide you with what you ordered

Yes, I wouldn't accept it if it wasn't right or what I had ordered. Not sure it was brand new thought the guy said it was 2017 plate.

7 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Stereo facia will be different too wont it as there will not be a button that says nav or navigation on it to select Sat nav mode either.

Yes, I wouldn't accept it if it wasn't right or what I had ordered. Not sure it was brand new thought the guy said it was 2017 plate.

Fair point about the 2017 plate Mavroz, keep forgetting 2018 lol.

30 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

The stereo doesn't have a fascia as the Sync display is an 8" touchscreen with soft buttons on the screen, so that shouldn't be an issue.  At first glance we didn't even realise the navigation button button was missing on the display as it looks very similar, and neither did Ford or the dealer!

There is the option of returning it but other than the navigation missing it is a great spec and difficult to find another of such a high spec. Besides my wife would then be left without a car in the meantime and she needs one for work.  Hence why I was hoping it could be upgraded.

Can you use Apple Carplay/Android Auto and use Waze/Google Maps for satnav?

42 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Can you use Apple Carplay/Android Auto and use Waze/Google Maps for satnav?

We can use Apple maps but it’s useful to be able to have nav without connecting phone.  Also the car is not to the spec to which it was bought and so in my opinion should be fixed by Ford.  It has the potential of affecting resale value too.

Seems your only options are to either source all the parts needed yourself and fit/have them fitted. (Could be very costly).

You keep the car and use a 3rd party Sat nav app. Obviously working something with the dealership in they way of a sweetener.

You aren't happy and think the car should be sorted by the dealer or Ford as the spec isn't what you were sold,but this doesn't seem like an option they are offering, other than allow you to return the car and walk away.

I am also guessing you will need to make up your minds sooner rather than later if the return option is to stay on the table.

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Seems your only options are to either source all the parts needed yourself and fit/have them fitted. (Could be very costly).

You keep the car and use a 3rd party Sat nav app. Obviously working something with the dealership in they way of a sweetener.

You aren't happy and think the car should be sorted by the dealer or Ford as the spec isn't what you were sold,but this doesn't seem like an option they are offering, other than allow you to return the car and walk away.

I am also guessing you will need to make up your minds sooner rather than later if the return option is to stay on the table.

I agree with what you say and they were our thoughts too.

But, going back to my original question does anyone know whether or not upgrading the Sync to Nav is possible?

Yes it’s possible but it’s a new APIM and some minor reprogramming. Get Ford to provide the APIM and antenna (which you spec’d) and reprogram yourself with FORSCAN if Ford won’t do it. Lots of guys in the US have upgraded. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

Yes it’s possible but it’s a new APIM and some minor reprogramming. Get Ford to provide the APIM and antenna (which you spec’d) and reprogram yourself with FORSCAN if Ford won’t do it. Lots of guys in the US have upgraded. 

Sorry for the bump, is there any threads about this?? If this is confirmed as all thats needed I'd do it right now

22 hours ago, BustedCeramics said:

Sorry for the bump, is there any threads about this?? If this is confirmed as all thats needed I'd do it right now

There’s stuff on this in all the US Ford forums including Fiesta and ST. Try googling “updrafts sync 3 to Nav”

On 8/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, Stoney871 said:

Have a chat with@Bannko , he's the nav guru.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Have done, thanks

On 8/28/2019 at 6:24 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

There’s stuff on this in all the US Ford forums including Fiesta and ST. Try googling “updrafts sync 3 to Nav”

Can only find stuff about the Ford Mustang, is it possible to link me to it?

Also wondering what modules are needed when replacing the APIM. I see lots of people saying its plug and play but I'm finding other modules for sale related to the NAV including 'MODLIN NAV 64EU, another being what I'm assuming is an antenna, and 3.2 NAV/EU 64.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club