DG97

MK8 Door Panel Squeak

Recommended Posts

Just now, SLUGIE79 said:

Hi , I have just brought a titanium x with the b and o system and my drivers side door rattles like mad even at with the music on low.

I have been reading every ones comments and really don’t want to have the door card taken off by ford in case it gets damaged.

Has anyone lossened the two screws at the bottom of the door bin and put some more black felt there the between the plastic and metal to dampen the vibration.

If i push on the plastic the noise goes away too but comes back as soon as i let go.

I checked the passengers side and it’s fine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

17 hours ago, SLUGIE79 said:

Hi , I have just brought a titanium x with the b and system and my drivers side door rattles like mad even at with the music on low.

I have been reading every ones comments and really don’t want to have the door card taken off by ford in case it gets damaged.

Has anyone lossened the to screws at the bottom of the door bin and put some more black felt there the between the plastic and metal to dampen the vibration.

If i push on the plastic the noise goes away too but comes back as soon as i let go.

I checked the passengers side and it’s fine.

 

Hi, sorry to hear about that! I see why you may not wish to have the doors cards taken off - especially if the dealer is not careful, they may end up damaging some clips as they're rather fragile. 

I experienced this issue with the majority of music that I had if I played it over around 10/11 volume. 

In regards to loosening the screws at the bottom of the door - yes, I have done that before and stuck some quite thick felts between the metal and plastic but in all fairness, it didn't really help by that much. In your place, this is something I would try first to see if it resolves your issue but at the same time, I would be surprised if it gets rid of the problem altogether. 

Unfortunately this rattle seems to be a bit of a theme in the MK8's as the couple I had as a courtesy car had the same problem.

I did manage to fix mine without the dealer as they didn't really do much apart from taking the door card off and making sure everything is "secure" and not moving which is pretty useless. 

I also have the B&O system and it is a good system which is relatively powerful, however, with powerful systems, you should pay almost equal attention to sound proofing/insulation. Unfortunately, on the MK8's and probably many other cars, this form of sound proofing is non existent so I had to fit some myself. It does require taking the door cards off and when you take that off, it is effectively plastic and then metal on the door which isn't exactly great for noise dampening. So on the door card that was taken off, I fitted (basically stuck on) some Skinz triple layer dampening panels for noise insulation and also behind the speaker itself, I have fitted a wave diffuser - I think it was also a Skinz product. Once that had settled in, the difference was noticable and the rattle/buzz had gone away. I think it does still sometimes occur at very high volumes (we're talking close to max) but I dont tend to listen to my music as loud as that and if it does happen, it's super rare. From personal experience, I would say that is the best fix but possibly worth taking to your dealer. Though, I highly doubt they would fit this at their cost and also I struggle to see what other fix there could be. 

Hope that helps and that you get your issue resolved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips! I'm still having issues with the door at the passenger site.. It can be quiet for weeks and then starts rattling/buzzing again. The dealer did exactly what you said, but without results. I found that I can stop the buzzing when I put my hand on the luggage compartment in the door. So when I stuff it with something (like a t shirt) which puts a bit of pressure on it it is totally gone. However: this is not a real solution of course.. 

I might give the insulation tip a try, good one! I also thought about some sort of damper to put in the luggage compartment, or even a spreader to put a bit of pressure on it (changing the resonance frequency). 

It is a really good car, and I love driving it. But it is just full of sound and buzzes... My previous Fiesta (mk 7.5) was totally quiet. The panoramic roof and the door panel annoying me the most, although the roof only occurs in summer when the sun was on the roof for a long time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Martijn89 said:

Thanks for the tips! I'm still having issues with the door at the passenger site.. It can be quiet for weeks and then starts rattling/buzzing again. The dealer did exactly what you said, but without results. I found that I can stop the buzzing when I put my hand on the luggage compartment in the door. So when I stuff it with something (like a t shirt) which puts a bit of pressure on it it is totally gone. However: this is not a real solution of course.. 

I might give the insulation tip a try, good one! I also thought about some sort of damper to put in the luggage compartment, or even a spreader to put a bit of pressure on it (changing the resonance frequency). 

It is a really good car, and I love driving it. But it is just full of sound and buzzes... My previous Fiesta (mk 7.5) was totally quiet. The panoramic roof and the door panel annoying me the most, although the roof only occurs in summer when the sun was on the roof for a long time. 

 

No problem! Yes, I have found that the luggage compartment in the door is the cause of the issue. Good idea with the dampers, it's something that has crossed my mind but never really got a chance to try it, but in my case, I think it needs to be something that puts more pressure on that just a t shirt. Would be interested to see if you try the damper if the noises go away. 

Another thought would be that I am not 100% sure if you have seen what the door plastic looks from the back but the luggage compartment is effectively welded on (if that's the correct terminology when talking about plastics!) to the rest of the door plastic. If you were to take the door panel off completely and put some sponge but making sure it is tight fit between the plastic and actual metal door, possibly this could also resolve the issue.

Haha, I think the same, great car both driving and specification wise but has some minor niggles that in the greater scale of things don't matter that much but seem to impair my opinion of the car a little bit! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this problem too. It started somewhere round 2000 miles. Drivers door, and as others have said, I think it's  the pocket thingy at the bottom of the door. Thought I'd mention this,as I don't have the b+o package.  It's very annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mmurray said:

I have this problem too. It started somewhere round 2000 miles. Drivers door, and as others have said, I think it's  the pocket thingy at the bottom of the door. Thought I'd mention this,as I don't have the b+o package.  It's very annoying.

I have the B&o and I've noticed the passenger door rattle, even at low volumes.  It started about 8000 miles so I guess I've done well lol. 

I've also noticed it  disappears when I press it the speaker housing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just responded in the other topic on your issue @tef89; but here is probably a better place. I got totally crazy from the rattle, passenger door here. Especially during tracks with quite a lot of bass it was terrible to listen at. 

But... they finally fixed it! During my last service visit I asked them to take a look again. They said some parts of the door construction were under stress, they got them out and glued them back in place. I have no rattle at all anymore, can't tell you how happy I am with that. What is interesting is that I am now able to pull at the bagage compartment in the door, and it actually comes off and clicks back in. I'm wondering if that is what was wrong, and that these parts were so stuck that I wasn't able to get them apart before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Martijn89 said:

I just responded in the other topic on your issue @tef89; but here is probably a better place. I got totally crazy from the rattle, passenger door here. Especially during tracks with quite a lot of bass it was terrible to listen at. 

But... they finally fixed it! During my last service visit I asked them to take a look again. They said some parts of the door construction were under stress, they got them out and glued them back in place. I have no rattle at all anymore, can't tell you how happy I am with that. What is interesting is that I am now able to pull at the bagage compartment in the door, and it actually comes off and clicks back in. I'm wondering if that is what was wrong, and that these parts were so stuck that I wasn't able to get them apart before.

Thanks for that update, i might ask my dealer to re-visit that when i next take the car in for a service (still a while away though). Nearly all the rattles and buzzes are gone aside from one coming from near this compartment in the passenger door. I was going to take the panel off myself but haven't really had much time to do so. How easy is it to take this baggage compartment from the main door panel now? I would say at the moment on mine, without snapping or breaking something, it would be impossible to remove it as it is so tightly stuck to the main door panel. 

Saying that though, it is interesting that the panels being stuck together so tightly would cause this rattle. I would have thought it would be the complete opposite - multiple panels being a little bit loose and vibrating when exposed to any bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really easy now, almost too easy. It just clicks off. If I have some rattle now, I pull it off and put it back on and it's gone. Not the whole panel goes of though, just the middle of the door where the compartment starts to hit the arm rest. 

And yeah, I agree. I thought that it wasn't fixed after I heard that, but it really is. Maybe it is so tight together that it doesn't have space to damp any vibrations or resonance. Hope they fix it on your car as well, I truly hated it for over a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Martijn89 said:

It's really easy now, almost too easy. It just clicks off. If I have some rattle now, I pull it off and put it back on and it's gone. Not the whole panel goes of though, just the middle of the door where the compartment starts to hit the arm rest. 

And yeah, I agree. I thought that it wasn't fixed after I heard that, but it really is. Maybe it is so tight together that it doesn't have space to damp any vibrations or resonance. Hope they fix it on your car as well, I truly hated it for over a year. 

Wow, that's quite mad considering how stiff it is at the moment. I will definitely ask my dealer to have another go. It's the one last rattle and the rest are gone so would be nice to get rid of it and enjoy a quiet interior 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

Wow, that's quite mad considering how stiff it is at the moment. I will definitely ask my dealer to have another go. It's the one last rattle and the rest are gone so would be nice to get rid of it and enjoy a quiet interior 🙂 

Did you cure other rattles or did they go on their own? Any info on the fixes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jonson said:

Did you cure other rattles or did they go on their own? Any info on the fixes?

Yes, mixture of both really, some fixes and some just went away and have never returned. I think i've mentioned in this thread before but the fixes I have put in place are:

1. Sound proofing of the door panels - Have used the Skinz sound deadening mats. They have been stuck onto the inside of the door panel and have taken out most sound-related rattles.

2. Wave Diffuser - Once again a Skinz product. Fitted behind both of the Speakers in the front door panels. Prevents the sound waves from travelling all across the door panel. Fitted this at the same time as the sound proofing so not sure if it's effective on it's own but as a concept, definitely worth pursuing. 

3. Few felts around where the door plastic meets the metal door. Not many felts used but a couple in places where the plastic seemed to be making a little too much contact with the metal frame of the door. Not really sure this was a cause of the most annoying rattles but it's a 30 second job to stick them on. 

4. Not using this anymore but I found that wedging some card (think something like a business card) in between the connection where the door bin meets the main door panel seemed to surprisingly dampen and almost eradicate quite a few rattles but not exactly what one could describe as a quality fix. 

5. My passenger door bin is stuffed with a microfibre cloth thing that i sometimes use to wipe some mist from either the mirrors or the side windows so that may or may not put a bit of pressure on the panel and help dampen any noises. 

There are still some little ones that may come up every now and then but as I mention, I only have one left that i'd really like to get rid of, any others I'll probably just live with and blame a slightly poor interior quality in some places 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.