Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I need to tell them the exhaust is welded?

Lewis11196

Probably the wrong place to ask this question but hey ho.

I am part exchanging my 1.0 L ecoboost red edition as I'm upgrading to an ST, the car is only 2 years old and in perfect condition. 

However the car has been modified, had an R sport cone filter with all the induction hoses, Revo stage 1 map and a milltek cat back exhaust. I'm part exchanging it with the car people who will give me enough to pay the finance off and put a deposit on the new car however they will only accept the car as standard with 0 modifications on it. The map was taken off by an authorised Revo dealer and I put the old airbox and hoses back in myself however my old exhaust was sawn up into 3 pieces when they out the current one on.

My question is ive taken it to the garage ( a trusted garage ) and they said they will weld it and put it back on, but will I need to tell the car people the exhaust is welded? I don't want for them to take that car and I get the st for them to ring me up and say we can't accept it you didn't tell you the exhaust was welded back together...

Any advice appreciated

It would be dishonest not to tell them, and as you pointed out you risk breaching your contract with them.

Call them and find out, worse case scenario could be they insist you replace the exhaust with an OEM one, if so then buy the cheapest one possible and have it installed.

It would be dishonest to ‘lie’ to them, so by not telling them you aren’t actually doing anything wrong. If you get the exhaust removed and then replaced with the standard one that’s has been welded professionally with a receipt for the works then I don’t see the problem. Even if you do replace the exhaust with a new system then it most certainly does not need to be an OEM one, the cheapest (safe) one from a local place will do just fine. Hell, an undamaged exhaust of a scrapped fiesta would do. If you put the old one back on with the welds and they don’t look at it before you exchange then they have no comeback after you have left it with them. If they said anything after a week or a day or ever then ‘it wasn’t like that when I handed it back’. It’s not dishonest and if you ensure the system is safe and one you would be willing to have on your own car then that would sit fine with my conscience.

Tricky one, if they find it has been welded and raise it as an issue with you and you refuse to play ball, then if you have any problem with the car you got from them, they may not play ball on that issue.

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It would be dishonest to ‘lie’ to them, so by not telling them you aren’t actually doing anything wrong. 

And knowingly withholding information that is material to inducing another party into entering a contract with you is an act of fraud. 

But that isn’t important information. The exhaust would be safe and legal, it just been repaired so there is no need to tell the garage. You don’t declare repairs normally so there is no act of fraud, if the garage themselves don’t like it then they will look under the car and say something. 

Or you could just say the exhaust had rusted so you bought a new section to replace it. They will more likely find out that it's had a map put on and removed though (provided they even check)...

Assuming its the same as the older Fiestas, you can't remove/refit the exhaust on them complete as it's fitted before the rear beam at the factory.  So the only way to fit any complete exhaust would now be in 3 pieces.  I wouldn't weld it though, it'll look poor and most likely crack/leak shortly after.  I'd sleeve it personally, sleeves are cheap and easy unless it's been cut right on a bend. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club