Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford fiesta 1.6 turbo diesal

melz

help desperatly needed i bought second hand fiesta private sale problem with coolent fan staying on after engine switched off, garage has replaced coolent sensor and relays still problem cobtinues please anyone had same problem thanks

How long does the fan stay on after switching the car off? I'm sure with this heatwave in England the fan would stay on for a little to cool down the engine. 

stays on forever does not turn off untill it drains the battery and its flat desperate to get this sorted but  cannot afford the ford garage prices

If it was me I would do this which some people will say is a bodge, and it is really but if it makes the car usable without spending tons of money in trying to find the fault then it achieves a purpose.

If I could not find what is wrong I would remove the fan relay. Then I would run new wires from battery to the fan, using a new separate relay. I would fit a switch on the dashboard which controls the new separate fan relay.

Make sure all wiring is of a suitable thickness for the current/amps involved.   If you used thick enough wire to the dashboard switch and a switch of higher enough current rating you could do it without a relay.   Make sure suitable fuse is used. It is not wise to do this stuff without fuse protection.

If you have an old school type garage locally you could just tell them to do this so you don't potentially waste money in someone trying to find the real cause of the current problem. Mind you a 2nd opinion might home in on the real original cause straight away.  But how much time and trouble do you want to put into fixing the real problem before you resort to bypassing the problem my way.

Yes, I know you then need to operate the fan switch manually which means watching the temperature guage (hoping your car has one). But at least you can use the car that way. When I had a mk6.5 1.6tdci it would take ages to warm up the engine and the fan rarely came on so depending on your driving style / roads etc you might not need to use it much.

many thanks for your reply walked into the ford garage and out again after conversation with a salesman £80 an hour, was hoping someone out there had same problem and could let me know how to solve it, google it and it said relays but have replaced them

I have the same car. A 2009 Econetic, 1.6 Tdci. It is true that depending on your driving style the fan could start to run, but not until it drains the battery.

Is your coolant level ok? Are there any signs of leaks? I also suggest you check this aspect aswell.

Also when the fan is running is there a smell of hot plastic coming from the engine bay?

so if it's not the relay itself getting stuck in the on position I am guessing the relay is still getting a power signal from the computer brain of the car because it thinks the engine is very hot. I know you have replaced coolant sensor. I am wondering if there is a wiring fault between the computer brain and the coolant sensor.  I assume your temp gauge looks OK as you have not said  the needle is right up the top.  I do not know if the car brain uses the same temp sensor to control the fan relay and the temp gauge.  I think from memory the computer brain is  also programmed to turn the fan on when the aircon is on so there is that added complication there over what is signalling the fan to stay on.  On modern cars the electrical bits are all so intertwined and linked to the computer brain so it is so complicated. Hence why sometimes it is simpler to go for a work around solution if that's the difference between a car you can use and a car you can not use

its an 08 plate fiesta zetec climate diesal 1.6 drove about 30 miles this morning no problem it just very ramdom probably the old shape maybe need an auto electrictian to look at it thanks again for your help much appreciated

19 hours ago, TDR|XTC said:

I have the same car. A 2009 Econetic, 1.6 Tdci. It is true that depending on your driving style the fan could start to run, but not until it drains the battery.

Is your coolant level ok? Are there any signs of leaks? I also suggest you check this aspect aswell.

Also when the fan is running is there a smell of hot plastic coming from the engine bay?

thanks car has just been seviced and passed the mot, its very random, could leave car for 5 hours and start it up and fan comes on very lound and continues even when car is switched off so it drains the battery cant trust it to travel very far from home done the relays and coolent sensor

19 hours ago, isetta said:

so if it's not the relay itself getting stuck in the on position I am guessing the relay is still getting a power signal from the computer brain of the car because it thinks the engine is very hot. I know you have replaced coolant sensor. I am wondering if there is a wiring fault between the computer brain and the coolant sensor.  I assume your temp gauge looks OK as you have not said  the needle is right up the top.  I do not know if the car brain uses the same temp sensor to control the fan relay and the temp gauge.  I think from memory the computer brain is  also programmed to turn the fan on when the aircon is on so there is that added complication there over what is signalling the fan to stay on.  On modern cars the electrical bits are all so intertwined and linked to the computer brain so it is so complicated. Hence why sometimes it is simpler to go for a work around solution if that's the difference between a car you can use and a car you can not use

thanks very much for your comments not wanting to venture to far away from home in it drove about 30 miles today and no problem its very random when it happens i could start it up from cold and the coolent fan will run and not switch off my local garage have been sctraching their heads

You sure you have replaced the correct relay? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club