Do Not Sell My Personal Information

chain or belt?

guy woodbridge

Hi there. I have spent the last hour or so trying to find out whether my 2010 focus (cc3) 2l tdci diesel is a belt or chain drive. I always thought it was chain.

Does anyone have any idea?

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows and can tell me.

Many thanks from Guy

• Like 1

Hi is that deffo right? I'm getting so much contradictory information at the moment.

Also what are the change intervals? Again these are not the same where ever i look for info.

Many thanks again,  from Guy.

i thought duratec engines where chain?

The 2.0 Duratec (Petrol) engine does indeed have a timing chain.

The 2.0 Duratorq (Diesel) engine however has a timing belt.

The 2.0 Duratorq TDCI is a PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) derived  engine (Ford stopped producing Diesel engines for passenger cars Years ago). It is basically the same engine as the 2.0 HDI of Peugeot/Citroen.

Based on the latest information from Ford (ETIS) the changing interval for the timing belt, auxiliary drive belts and tensioners of the 2.0 Duratorq TDCI is 125.000 Miles / 10 Years (whichever comes first).

• Like 1

there is a chain between the CAMs but as Wilco said its belt driven, youll not be changing the chain on those cams any time soon.

Before changing the timing belt on the 2.0 Duratorq TDCI it is strongly recommended to inspect the timing chain and chain tensioner between the 2 camshafts. 

The (plastic) chain tensioner is known to wear which causes an incorrect chain tension. Next to this the chain itself is known to stretch. In case of any visible wear or excessive play both the timing chain and the tensioner needs to be replaced. Replacing the timing chain and chain tensioner is an expensive time consuming job (the camshafts need to be removed to replace the chain). 

In most cases the chain and chain tensioner are still in good condition. However it is defintetely worth checking before changing the timing belt.

• Like 1

Hi Guys. Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. I looked hard to find out but struggled to find any concrete information. Looks like it is coming up for due in the next couple of thousand miles then!

I'm guessing in the region of £260-£300?. Of course factoring in a new water pump too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club