Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Edge First Impressions

Chunx4t

Well I picked up my new motor, and have not been dissapointed, although I have only done a few hundred miles each one has made me smile, really impressed with the auto box it feels seamless even in Sport, I've even had a play with the paddles, but they are now pretty much redundant, and so far no left foot braking, but I do tend to go for the gear stick whilst approaching junctions. This is my first automatic and to be honest I wish I had gone for one sooner. I'm also impressed with the engine and it feels very capable, and in my opinion more powerful than I had expected, in line with the gearbox it also feels smooth, my good lady has put it through it's paces and has commented that it is no slouch. So far there have been no niggles, no squeaks, creaks or rattles or any other issues and everything appears to work as it should. The seats are comfortable, although my wife says the mondeo was comfier, I'm not convinced, that asides she likes the car also.  My mother in law is not as able as she used to be and she gets in and out much easier than the Mondeo, instead of basically falling in to and having to be pulled out of the Mondeo the seat is at a height where she can sit on it and swing her legs in and out, adjustable suspension would have been a nice option. I've read in other posts about problems with the tailgate, and I have had one phantom closure, I can only assume that I activated the sensor with my foot whilst putting the dogs in the back, as I am now conscious of this It has not happened again. Still early days and only 800 miles on the clock so I will not go too overboard on the first impression praise, but so far so good.

Good stuff. A lot of reviews in the press say it’s under powered- I disagree completely and agree with you that it’s pretty quick for such a big car. Done 16000 miles in mine and will probably keep it 10 years- love it. 

32 minutes ago, NeilRS said:

Good stuff. A lot of reviews in the press say it’s under powered- I disagree completely and agree with you that it’s pretty quick for such a big car. Done 16000 miles in mine and will probably keep it 10 years- love it. 

Cheers...I have read the same reviews, which is why I was pleasntly surprised on how well the engine responds to putting the foot down,  and it is a big car one thing for sure is it has presence and it dominates any car park...I love mine to

Welcome Brian, glad you are happy so far. The  reviewers forget the Edge is a big car, substantially bigger than most of the opposition. Just look at the rear legroom compared to say a Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe or Volvo XC60. It's also heavy, nearly 100kg more than the equivalent Land Rover Discovery Sport for example which incidentally feels tiny inside in comparison.

• Like 1

The problem with reviewers is that they drive so many cars with differing capabilities.  They might drive a 3.0 VW Touareg with a 6 cylinder engine one day, then drive the 4 cylinder 2.0 Ford Edge the next.  If it is compared with a similar vehicle, then the pros outweigh the cons.  The Edge might not be the quickest, but it’s no slow coach, it has a cavernous boot, masses of rear legroom and rear seats that recline.  I for one will be keeping mine for several years, not only because I love it, because I can’t afford another !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KugaEdge said:

Welcome Brian, glad you are happy so far. The  reviewers forget the Edge is a big car, substantially bigger than most of the opposition. Just look at the rear legroom compared to say a Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe or Volvo XC60. It's also heavy, nearly 100kg more than the equivalent Land Rover Discovery Sport for example which incidentally feels tiny inside in comparison.

Cheers... I totally agree, It is a fair bit bigger than the opposition which is why I bought it, the main difference between a reviewer and an actual consumer, we buy on suitability and practicality on our own individual needs, they are looking at a one size fits all, each individual has differing taste and needs and again why I chose the Edge.

4 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

The problem with reviewers is that they drive so many cars with differing capabilities.  They might drive a 3.0 VW Touareg with a 6 cylinder engine one day, then drive the 4 cylinder 2.0 Ford Edge the next.  If it is compared with a similar vehicle, then the pros outweigh the cons.  The Edge might not be the quickest, but it’s no slow coach, it has a cavernous boot, masses of rear legroom and rear seats that recline.  I for one will be keeping mine for several years, not only because I love it, because I can’t afford another !

Cheers...Exactly! as i said in my reply to KugaEdge I bought the Edge on my own personal preference, and I agree the pros well outweigh the cons, like you I will have to keep mine for a few years, but having seen the 2019 model well...it is a cracking looking motor, the subtle change to the bonnet and headlights really set it off and there is an increase in power, all i can say is the initial reviews from 2015 to present are not always endearing, but for me Ford have entered the very competitive SUV market with a more than capable contender and have year on year made improvements to the original version to a point where it now in my opinion surpasses the oppostion.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club