Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Ghia Estate wet boot

David 47

My Focus estate has a wet boot and wet ( 2 cm of water ) under the drivers seat after heavy rain. Any ideas of DIY solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the estate have a spare wheel well too, is that also full of water?

My mk3 and many others leaked through the body cavity vents located behind the rear bumper, these filled the cavity with water which then spilled over into the boot collecting in the wheel well, once high enough it would then spill out of the wheel well and into the cabin. The vents needed removing and sealing with silicone to cure the problem.

Other common places are rear light cluster seals, adding a good smear of grease to the foam that seals against the body sorts those.

Tailgate hinges have been known to leak along with roof rails and cable entry grommets.

My wife's old Fiat Punto actually leaked into the boot from a failed bodywork seam.

Unfortunately it's time to strip the rear carpets out and get your hosepipe running on the roof.

Many thanks. This is all very helpful. I will check if the wheel well is full of water. Are these jobs all possible for a DIY enthusiast like me to do or should a mechanic do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sorted my rear lights and body cavity vents, easy enough for a DIY'er.

Luckily on my wife's old Punto my neighbour was a panel beater so he gave me the body sealer to sort that one.

At the top of the Focus forum is this thread for the mk3, it shows the vents and how they have leaked on mine and a few other cars.

I had a leak on my 2008 estate, not sure if I fixed it completely but I applied extra sealant (sikaflex) to the panel joins at the top of the body when you open the tailgate. On mine there was quite a pronounced fold that looked like it could let water in. It got better after this but tbh I haven’t checked on it again since.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club