Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine doesn't turn off when removing the key

Matbay86

Evans Halshaw looked at my focus and said water was in my BCM and smoking at the time of investigation and I need a new wiring loom. They quoted me £3000. Ford are going to investigate further and should get back to me by Wednesday 6th March to let me know if they will pay for the repair. Stressing me out this car

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...

Hi can you tell me the outcome of this. I have the exact same problem and my local Ford dealers contacted Ford technical who said they've never heard of this before.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, TomsFocus said:

Would think it's a faulty ignition switch tbh.  Does everything stay on or does the dash go off once you remove the key?

Dash lights stay illuminated

• 2 months later...

Hi mate did you ever find out the problem, as I’m now going through the same, I take the Key out and the engine still runs, and like the same as you I have to stall the car to fully turn off engine and that only makes the auto start stop restart the car !!

ive taken it to my mechanic he plugged in the diagnostics machine and it said ignition starter switch which he charged and it’s still doing the same, did you ever get to the bottom of it on your car mate ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so my sister has a 2014 ford focus se and it was doing the same thing where it would start just fine, but wouldn't cut the engine, everything else turned off except the engine. I fixed the car by spraying WD40 in the ignition/ key slot. Turns the engine off just fine now. Made sure it worked by turning it on and off 20 times 

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem as MatBay86. I take my key out of the ignition, and the engine keeps running for up to 30 minutes. The battery drains as well. These events are some how related. Did you ever find out what happened to your car MatBay86?

• 4 weeks later...

maybe to late for someone, i got this with mine previous focus. the problem was loosing coolant. replacing the coolant reservoir and tubes, fix it.

• Confused 1

• 10 months later...

Mine -14 model 1.0 ecoboost did keep running after taking key out from barrel.

Instrument panel did shut off but engine kept running.

First time today.

What should i be looking at?

I already found this thread:

I need to check my fuse box /bcm

Now focus is working again.

But i still have work to do.

I took bcm out from car , and there was washer fluid in one plug.

I took circuit board out between plastic covers and cleaned corroded pins , mine was at very good condition still.

Then i put it to oven 50c for 30 mins and back together after that.

Also cleaned wiring side plug and cut two wires going to washer pump.

Now i have to order new washer pump and do some new wiring.

But best part is i won´t need new bcm.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Happened on my Ford Focus 08. The engine continued to run when key removed but stopped when door was opened. Problem was caused by faulty door catch contacts. Door switch replaced and problem disappeared. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Hey, I know this was a good few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone had found the answer. 

I am currently having these issues, 2014 Ford Focus Ecoboost also. 

it started 3 weeks ago, car was still running when the key was out of the ignition. 2 days later, it was completely dead. RAC came out, told me it was the ignition switch. Took it to my usual garage and they also said ignition switch, replaced that. Cost £75. 

2 days later, it was running again with the key out. The day after, completely dead. Jump started and back to the garage. He performed electrical diagnostics etc. found 26 faults, cleared them, check all the engine / battery - said the battery was great. Took it home, 2 days later dead again, took it back, he charged the battery. Couldn’t find the issue. No further faults on the diagnostics. He replaced the battery tonight, I Brought it home, got to the drive and turned off the ignition, car still running. Feels like I’m going round in circles. He’s got no idea. 

help!

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Well we can agree on that 🤣

OK, so I think this is going to be a case of you're going to have to help fix this yourself.

First of all you need a laptop with Windows and the software FORScan (which is free). You are also going to need a connection cable. I would recommend that you use the "vLinker FS" which is about £32

Once you have both you will be able to connect up to the cars OBDII port and read ALL of the DTC's, not just a few like it sounds the garage is doing.

Is the car Automatic or Manual ?

The most probable faults are going to be with the BCM or the TCM. Once you have the DTC's we will be able to point you in which direction to look.

Download FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP/ref=asc_df_B0952P4MLP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=534732308385&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10627819296163634531&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006688&hvtargid=pla-1430824679036&psc=1

20 hours ago, Jamie_G87 said:

Hey, I know this was a good few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone had found the answer. 

I am currently having these issues, 2014 Ford Focus Ecoboost also. 

it started 3 weeks ago, car was still running when the key was out of the ignition. 2 days later, it was completely dead. RAC came out, told me it was the ignition switch. Took it to my usual garage and they also said ignition switch, replaced that. Cost £75. 

2 days later, it was running again with the key out. The day after, completely dead. Jump started and back to the garage. He performed electrical diagnostics etc. found 26 faults, cleared them, check all the engine / battery - said the battery was great. Took it home, 2 days later dead again, took it back, he charged the battery. Couldn’t find the issue. No further faults on the diagnostics. He replaced the battery tonight, I Brought it home, got to the drive and turned off the ignition, car still running. Feels like I’m going round in circles. He’s got no idea. 

help!

As previously stated in this thread by M0ndeo it is more than likely water ingress into the BCM, caused by a faulty washer pump. 

Ford are aware of the problem and have issued a TSB for it. 

16-2086 is the reference number. 

• 3 months later...

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, it turns out that I had a malfunctioning fuel pump relay, the relay was short circuit and causing the current to still flow in the fuel pump. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " Car keeps Running After Engine Turned Off on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.

Edited by Thomas513
wrong topic reply
  • Sad 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 10:41 PM, unofix said:

🤔🤔

I have a similar problem with a brand new Ford Custom MSRT, arrived at work and I turned the ignition off and everything stayed on including the engine, would stop on the start/stop but not on the key.  Tried a few things including nearly crashing because I pulled away with tthe igniton off and the steering locked. Drove to Ford and they spent 90 minutes with the diagnostics trying to turn off the engine, can't stall it because it's auto.  The only other anomoly is that a door open check light had come on earlier when it was closed and then the bonnet open check came on, opened the bonnet for a look and found nothing, mechanic wandered away and I turned the key and off went the engine. Now they can't replicate the fault. Nobody in the network has ever seen this problem apparently.  The van has remote start from the app so clearly the key is not imperitive for the vehicle to run. Hoping Ford can find a fault to fix.

25 minutes ago, Rupert Carr said:

Drove to Ford and they spent 90 minutes with the diagnostics trying to turn off the engine, can't stall it because it's auto.

For future reference, you can stall an auto.  Just have to block the air intake with a jacket or something.

Do let us know if Ford find the fault.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

For future reference, you can stall an auto.  Just have to block the air intake with a jacket or something.

Do let us know if Ford find the fault.

Thanks, the auto stop still works, but that like in most cars has a mind of it's own,  but even then everything electical  is still on and it says engine is running when you open the door and you can't lock it. If I just get it back with a wait and see my worry is what to do if I'm away with it outside a hotel at 9pm type nightmare. If the engine is stopped I imagine I would just need to disconnect the battery. Anyway it's with Ford this afternoon so we will see. I will report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert Carr said:

If the engine is stopped I imagine I would just need to disconnect the battery.

Yes in an emergency situation, you could use the auto Stop/Start function to kill the engine, but you would need to get the battery negative lead disconnected quite quickly, because after a few minutes the auto Stop/Start will restart the engine to save the battery running down.

Please come back and update us all on what the fault is/was

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club