HH0319

Poor Fuel Economy ? 1.0 Ecoboost

Hi , Not too sure if Ive posted this in the correct section but I purcahsed a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost ( 100BHP) 5dr 64 Plate and I have been driving it for about 4 weeks now however I've noticed that the car seems to be giving me poor mpg ranging from 32-37mpg and only giving me about 290 miles for a full tank. Is this a common thing with the ecoboost engines in a Fiesta ? and has anyone been experiencing the same as me. Was only wondering as Ford emphasied the fuel efficiency with these engines.

Thanks 

Tbf some short and some long , I commute to work in the morning which I drive to a train station and that is only about a 10 min drive mainly five days a week 

short trips with many cold starts can have a great impact on fuel economy , with a 10 minutes drive you never allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature to perform at its best, plus its unhealthy for engine longevity as well.

normal operating temperature doesn't mean necessarily the coolant temperature only , normally allow 10 minutes more of drive after the coolant has reached its normal temperature to allow the oil as well to reach its normal temperature.

be gentle on the accelerator pedal , accelerate gently , predict upcoming stops and coast in gear as the injectors shut off completely when coasting.

for highway drive try not to go very fast , perhaps 62 or max 70 mph will be great .

mine gives me about 8l / 100 km in stop and go traffic , and about 3 to 4 l / 100 km on highway.

This Ecoboost is very good at fuel economy when driven gently , and very good at performance , perhaps the same as 1.6 NA engine, when driven with spirit , but with the fuel consumption of the 1.6 too !! its 2 in 1 engine , and its your choice and its all about what you want from that engine. 🙂 🙂

On short town journeys in stop start traffic that sounds about right. The economy of these little turbo cars depends how and where you drive it. On a long motorway journey doing 70mph you will get the claimed mpg.

32-37mpg is very low for a 1.0 Ecoboost. I get over 40 out of my ST (1.6 Ecoboost)!

you can get good fuel economy in town from a 1.0 EcoBoost if driven "correctly"

first, you can have eco or boost but not both at the same time you must pick one.

if you pick eco you need to do the following to get best mpg

• accelerate gently keeping rpm low change up at 1800 rpm and down at 1200rpm 
  • try not to use the brakes slow gradually using a trailing throttle
  • switch off non-essential accessories like ac heated screen etc
  • try not to stop at every red light move to a trailing throttle early and give it time to turn green before you get there same is true for any other possible hold up. anticipate what could happen up ahead and give any potential hold up time to clear
  • controversial one this but i believe super unleaded gives better mpg in the EcoBoost after flicking back and forth a few times between Tesco standard and momentum it costs around 4% more but gives around 8% better fuel economy.

using the above I get around 400 miles from a tank on short town driving (43mpg approx) and 550 miles from a tank of long cross country journies (59mpg approx)

Around town I get about 30 mpg, on a motorway run it’s in the 50s, I only do about 6000 miles a year so I’m happy.

Low to mid 40's in stop start town driving and low to mid 50's mpg on motorways (usually around 70mph ish) on my ST-Line 140 Fiesta.

Unless there's something wrong with your car it's most likely your driving style plus the very short journeys on a cold engine.

As mentioned above, smooth driving and anticipation.

Keep off the gas and brakes as much as possible, leave big gaps to the car in front, at 70mph on the motorway you should be at least 70 metres from the car in front ( I try to leave about 100 metres at that speed)  and more if the conditions are poor.

The old slogan "only a fool breaks the two second rule" is still a good one to adhere to in dry conditions. Double that in the wet and multiply by 10 if it's icy. The 2 second rule (the minimum distance you should aim for) roughly equates to Speed in mph = Metres(yards) of gap. e.g. if you are traveling at 40mph the minimum distance you should be from car in front in dry conditions is 40 Metres. I know this is mainly a safety rule but it will also help in fuel economy as it leaves you a good distance to anticipate the road ahead and avoid braking.

In towns with stop/start traffic don't keep edging forward every time the car in front moves two feet, wait until there is a gap that allows you to keep moving for a reasonable amount of time if possible.

I used to live in Nottingham city centre and my mpg was roughly the same.   I now live on the outskirts on the A610 5 minutes from J26 M1.   The mpg has shot up and is now usually in the mid 40s.

Evening

my car is the titanium x ecoboost 125 and i'm averaging 31.3mpg which i ifnd poor because the figures say 52.3 in town but i am only doing a 2 mile journey to work everyday.

it is true what they say with these engines you can have eco or boost but not together.

to put it in perspective a mate of mine has a kuga 1.5 ecoboost awd auto that has done 3700 miles in 2 years, not used very often and that's averaging 26.4mpg. 

we are both not happy with the figures but it is just something you put up with because both cars are fantastic otherwise.

9 hours ago, statts said:

Evening

my car is the titanium x ecoboost 125 and i'm averaging 31.3mpg which i ifnd poor because the figures say 52.3 in town but i am only doing a 2 mile journey to work everyday.

it is true what they say with these engines you can have eco or boost but not together.

31 is pretty good considering your car never gets warmed up.

I get about 43-44mpg out of mine, when I first got it a year ago it was really low I’m guessing the owner before me had been doing short journeys but she’s racked up 48,000 miles in 3 years lol I’ve done 8,000 miles in the last year. Mine is a 15reg 1.0 ecoboost. I really regret getting an ecoboost given all their problems and check the coolant regularly and have had to have a new seal on the tank at £75 as it was missing meaning I was losing coolant