Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel economy 2019 focus 1.5 182 auto

Cornish301000

Hi

My new car is nearly one month old and just covered 1000miles what can I expect to achieve in realistic terms for mpgfor a 1.5 180 auto st line x . I am currently only getting about 31 mpg and this is driving fairly steady around 50 mph on A roads. 

5 hours ago, Cornish301000 said:

Hi

My new car is nearly one month old and just covered 1000miles what can I expect to achieve in realistic terms for mpgfor a 1.5 180 auto st line x . I am currently only getting about 31 mpg and this is driving fairly steady around 50 mph on A roads. 

I have the Mk 4 Titanium X 1.5 150 PS auto and its done around 3000 miles.

I do mostly town driving and its averaging around 27/28 mpg but hopefully it will improved with more miles on the clock and the occasional longer runs.

On a longish run on motor ways it’s much better >35 mpg.

Although to be honest, I expected to take a bit of a hit on fuel consumption with it being an auto.

That’s about the same as my previous Mk 3.5 Focus Titanium X 4 cylinder 1.5 182 PS EcoBoost 6 speed manual which averaged around 29 mpg after doing 24,000 miles.

It would be interesting to hear from other Mk 4 1.5 150/180 PS auto owners on the subject.

any vehicle with a turbo is capable of drinking fuel.  This is because the extra power means you now have the ability to drive less efficiently and or use the extra performance

the turbo can effectively alter the engine capacity.  A normal 1.5 ltr petrol would make circa 105 bhp and 110 ft lbs of torque.  To fit the turbo they have to detune the engine so it can cope when the turbo is working... so it starts life as a less efficient engine making around 90 bhp and 80 ft lbs, then the turbo can (when in operating range) add more air - which needs more fuel and we can get more power.... in sensible tune going to a 150 bhp and 150 ft lbs engine...   closer to a na 2.3 ltr petrol in sensible road use tune....  but that effective extra 800cc, needs the fuel to access this increased performance.

normal use 28 round town and 37 on a run... ave 30 mpg  

driven badly 18 round town 25 on a fast run... ave 24 mpg

driven efficiently 35 round town and 50 on a slow run... ave 40 mpg

being a DSG auto, there should be no penalty at all for it being an "auto", it is after all a manual car, with a computer operating the two clutches between two "manual gearboxes"... if the software is written well it will be much more efficient than a manual car

that said most conventional autos are now as / more efficient than a manual, 1) they have a TC lock up that's active frequently and 2) often they have more ratios, so are often in a better gear than a lazy driver with fewer ratios to pick from.  When auto's were only 3 speed and had at best a 98% efficient connection between the engine and the rear wheels... they were dreadful!

• Like 1

Mine's a 2016 Titanium X 1.5 182PS six speed torque converter auto. The more recent ones are eight speed, I think.

The best I've ever got out of mine is just under 40mpg on a trip up to Yorkshire.On a longish run high 30s is achievable. I haven't gone far for months but do give it a bit of a blast every week or so and it's saying just over 33. Total mileage so far is just under 13k.

Given that I don't hang about I'm pretty pleased with mine overall.

To be fair you need to get say 3 or 4 thousand miles on the clock so the engine is loosened up, then you'll get a truer mpg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Botus said:

any vehicle with a turbo is capable of drinking fuel.  This is because the extra power means you now have the ability to drive less efficiently and or use the extra performance

the turbo can effectively alter the engine capacity.  A normal 1.5 ltr petrol would make circa 105 bhp and 110 ft lbs of torque.  To fit the turbo they have to detune the engine so it can cope when the turbo is working... so it starts life as a less efficient engine making around 90 bhp and 80 ft lbs, then the turbo can (when in operating range) add more air - which needs more fuel and we can get more power.... in sensible tune going to a 150 bhp and 150 ft lbs engine...   closer to a na 2.3 ltr petrol in sensible road use tune....  but that effective extra 800cc, needs the fuel to access this increased performance.

normal use 28 round town and 37 on a run... ave 30 mpg  

driven badly 18 round town 25 on a fast run... ave 24 mpg

driven efficiently 35 round town and 50 on a slow run... ave 40 mpg

being a DSG auto, there should be no penalty at all for it being an "auto", it is after all a manual car, with a computer operating the two clutches between two "manual gearboxes"... if the software is written well it will be much more efficient than a manual car

that said most conventional autos are now as / more efficient than a manual, 1) they have a TC lock up that's active frequently and 2) often they have more ratios, so are often in a better gear than a lazy driver with fewer ratios to pick from.  When auto's were only 3 speed and had at best a 98% efficient connection between the engine and the rear wheels... they were dreadful!

Thanks for the interesting information, especially regarding the new auto's and their fuel efficiency.

I must admit that this is the first auto that I have owned and obviously it’s good to know that my assumptions were wrong in regards to their fuel efficiency being slightly worse than a manual box.

I have driven autos before but  imo the new 8 speed auto box as fitted in my Mk4 focus is excellent with very smooth and virtually unnoticeable gear changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have the same car but with the 150 auto.

Having driven for 5k miles +  the mpg has improved markedly. Easily get over 40 mpg without really trying. 

Engine + auto have also smoothed out.

Annoying rattle by my right ear though ....... think it's the seat belt fixing. May have to stuff it full of gum !!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BOZ said:

Hi

I have the same car but with the 150 auto.

Having driven for 5k miles +  the mpg has improved markedly. Easily get over 40 mpg without really trying. 

Engine + auto have also smoothed out.

Annoying rattle by my right ear though ....... think it's the seat belt fixing. May have to stuff it full of gum !!

Thanks for that. 

have the 1.5 Ltr 150 PS auto but its only done around 3000 miles and still averaging around (28-29 mpg) so hopefully thing may improve.

Unfortunately most of my journeys are relatively short but I have noticed that mileage does improve on longer journeys.

You have the 1.5 Ltr 150 PS yes ?

If so 40 mpg is very good and I would be more than happy with that, are you doing mainly longish journeys.

Hi

Yes , 150 auto

Work in south London but live further out in the sticks so the car has a good run at 50 / 60 going to and from work and I'm sure that helps the mpg

Around town still get mid 30s though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOZ said:

Hi

Yes , 150 auto

Work in south London but live further out in the sticks so the car has a good run at 50 / 60 going to and from work and I'm sure that helps the mpg

Around town still get mid 30s though.

Thanks for confirming that. 👍

Hopefully my MPG will improve when I’ve done a few more miles.

• 2 months later...

I have the 125ps 1.0 and average 40.6 MPG after 14k miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club