Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible wheel bearing :(

F0CUE

I think I might need a new wheel bearing. Recently been hearing a drone that starts around 30mph and it starts to sound louder than the engine. I have done some research not all is clear. I have moved tyres from front to back to rule out the tyres and it still happens. Tomorrow I'm going to jack it up and do the spin test. I do have a light noticible clunk on the nearside wheel but have not had the symptoms described. Is it correct that if you turn right and the noise increases then it's the left bearing and vice Versa?

• Like 1

If you're getting a clunk when turning, I would have said that it's a CV joint rather than a bearing.

A failed, or failing bearing makes a rumbling noise and it'll do it all the time no matter which direction the wheels are in or the road speed.

Jack the car up and try and rock the wheel at the top and bottom and see what you get.

Guess I was not clear enough. I don't get a clunk whilst turning the clunk is when I grab the wheel at each side and rock it but that was there well before this and think that's related to an inner steering bush possibly the inner tie rod as the rest is practically renewed apart from that. The noise occurs when going straight but lessens when going left and when I go around a roundabout or turn right slightly it sounds like an aeroplane.

10 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Guess I was not clear enough. I don't get a clunk whilst turning the clunk is when I grab the wheel at each side and rock it but that was there well before this and think that's related to an inner steering bush possibly the inner tie rod as the rest is practically renewed apart from that. The noise occurs when going straight but lessens when going left and when I go around a roundabout or turn right slightly it sounds like an aeroplane.

Your right in saying if your turning right & the noise increases then it’s normally the passenger side (and vice versa). I had a very slight noise like driving over a rumble strip when turning right yet totally quiet on the straight or turning left. It was really only when STEF123 changed the passenger side hub/bearing that you could definitely hear the roughness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Your right in saying if your turning right & the noise increases then it’s normally the passenger side (and vice versa). I had a very slight noise like driving over a rumble strip when turning right yet totally quiet on the straight or turning left. It was really only when STEF123 changed the passenger side hub/bearing that you could definitely hear the roughness.

Thanks for the clarification mines must be worse then cos it does it straight also I will double check with spinning it in the air and look at everything else. I have looked at guides on changing them that would involve a hydraulic press or a set of tools that cost about £60 so it probs easier to get the local mechanic to do it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Russ said:

And it’s still attached so I done something right 😂 just done another 2 of them today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

And it’s still attached so I done something right 😂 just done another 2 of them today. 

Did you use the press or the screw in tools? If mines is pooped how much do you charge to fit?

26 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Did you use the press or the screw in tools? If mines is pooped how much do you charge to fit?

I use a Sykes pickavant gen2 kit, probably best kit around for them.

I’ll pm you mate

2 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I use a Sykes pickavant gen2 kit, probably best kit around for them.

I’ll pm you mate

That's an expensive piece of kit. So I guess you do it with the hub attached then? I came across this when searching it's all done wit the the hub on.

https://www.kentool.com/product/pro-super-hub-shark/

Yeah all done in situ mate. 

That kit is for the normal wheel bearing types, where the hub is seperate.

• Like 2

Mine's doing this too... a noticeable drone when driving > 30mph. I've also got the occasional "clunk" which sounds to be coming from the rear when applying the brakes (even lightly). No apparent brake inefficiency, applying the handbrake doesn't do it either.

I will get it up on the jack soon and have a quick look, hopefully it's just the winter tyres in the warm weather (and the clunking I have a feeling is the ARB links again.......)

5 hours ago, Micro said:

Mine's doing this too... a noticeable drone when driving > 30mph. I've also got the occasional "clunk" which sounds to be coming from the rear when applying the brakes (even lightly). No apparent brake inefficiency, applying the handbrake doesn't do it either.

I will get it up on the jack soon and have a quick look, hopefully it's just the winter tyres in the warm weather (and the clunking I have a feeling is the ARB links again.......)

Sounds very similar m8 sometimes the rumble gets really loud too.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:43 PM, F0CUE said:

Sounds very similar m8 sometimes the rumble gets really loud too.

Seems that there is a gap between the arb and the bushes on one of the links, so will tighten them up a bit and see how it goes. Unsure how tight they're actually meant to be as the 25Nm torque value would result in all of the bushes being crushed beyond recognition.

43 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Front or rear?

Rear, the solid type.

I did them up originally so the bushes were squished similar to pictures in the haynes/workshop manual. Using a torque wrench it never reached 25Nm before the bushes looked too squishy. 

Yeh I recently done them too was worried at the state of the squished lol

I was doing some further reading an came across a post where somebody assumed the same bearing had gone that I think and it turned out to be the rear instead. Is it possible for the rear to sound like it's at the front?

• 2 weeks later...

Took all my brakes of today spun the front hubs and couldn't hear anything significant. The rears do make a slight tick when spun. Is it possible for that noise to transfer to the front? If not I'm confused lol

All sorted now thanks to @stef123 he swapped it over really quick highly recommended for getting work done and has all the tools and is happy looking over other things. It turned out to be the driver's side bearing and now it drives like silk.no more noise!

• Thanks 1

Hi all need to replace rear passenger wheel bearing after taking of drum so bearing had free movement 

from brake shoes 

im getting a clicking noise on rotation and a drone when driving

can anyone recommend a good brand that will last so many to choose from 

many thanks

@Stu c Are you sure it's defo the rear droning? My rears have a slight click but don't drone. Although with being the rear they are easily taken off to inspect. I wouldn't cheap out on them unless you don't plan on keeping the car long. SKF would be  as good as OEM.

Thanks for reply yes I think is rear passenger side as I took both drums of car drivers side sounds ok 

No noise smooth rotation but passenger side clicks on rotation  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club