Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Difficulty getting tyre pressure reading

Eric Bloodaxe

Just been checking the tyres on the Mrs's SEAT Mii and found, as usual, it was really difficult to get a steady reading without air blowing out, as if the gauge is not seating properly. 

This has been the same since new, all 4 wheels, so I'm pretty sure there's no damage to the valves or tyres (Conti 165/70x14), and it happens whichever gauge I use, be It an ancient Schrader type, an accutyre digital, or a Halfords own brand digital, all of which work perfectly first time on the Mich PS4s on my Fiesta. Once correctly inflated the tyres hold pressure perfectly normally.

I always manage to get a reading in the end after faffing about, but anyone got any thoughts as to why these particular tyres/valves should be so awkward? If it was just one I'd put it down to a faulty/sticky valve, but all 4 from new? 

Does the Mii not have TPMS as standard?  

I've never had or heard of this issue myself, I reckon you're right in that it's a dodgy valve, but a whole dodgy batch of valves fitted when new.  Most people don't bother checking pressures and get through tyres so quickly that they'd be replaced within a couple of years.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Does the Mii not have TPMS as standard?  

It doesn't have much at all as standard!😀 The Mrs is not a car person and requires the smallest, least powerful car we can find with as little technology as possible!

Plus of course, even if you have TPMS,  if you get a low pressure warning you still have to pump up the tyres and check them with a gauge as the inbuilt gauges in filling station air pumps or foot pumps cannot be relied upon to be accurate in my experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It doesn't have much at all as standard!😀 The Mrs is not a car person and requires the smallest, least powerful car we can find with as little technology as possible!

Plus of course, even if you have TPMS,  if you get a low pressure warning you still have to pump up the tyres and check them with a gauge as the inbuilt gauges in filling station air pumps or foot pumps cannot be relied upon to be accurate in my experience.

TPMS (or at least DDS) is a legal requirement these days, I wasn't sure how old the car was. :smile:

I must admit, I rarely check mine with a guage and do rely on the forecourt pump to be reasonably accurate lol. :whistling: They haven't been far off when I have checked them...but then, I don't know how accurate my guage might be either! :laugh:

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

TPMS (or at least DDS) is a legal requirement these days, I wasn't sure how old the car was. :smile:

I must admit, I rarely check mine with a guage and do rely on the forecourt pump to be reasonably accurate lol. :whistling: They haven't been far off when I have checked them...but then, I don't know how accurate my guage might be either! :laugh:

Not very accurate.lol 

Gauge/inflator I use at work is a digital one that's calibrated every 6 months. Other Mickey mouse guages/inflators can be way out compared. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It was registered at the end of Sept 2014, just before the TPMS became a mandatory fitment in November. It's one less warning light for Mrs B to worry about!😀

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club