Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 1.8 TDCi, possible driveshaft issue

FatHead1979

Afternoon all, haing spent several hours this morning replacing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, top gearbox mount and cleaning the sensors I discovered what I assume to be gearbox oil slowly forming/dribbling off the bottom of the box.  It must be gearbox oil as the filter and all the oil related items are on the opposite side of engine.

Before I get my trusted local garage to look at it next week I wanted to check if anyone had any idea how many hours labour to change a driveshaft and seal (having done a quick bit of research it seems that it's considered to be good practice to replace the seal if pulling out the driveshaft).

I'm hoping it's just the seal but afte rthe fun I had a few months ago when the gearbox failed I'm not optimistic that I'll get away with the root cause being just the seal.

I'm not getting any knocking or simialr issues so hopefully the driveshaft itself and the outer CV are okay, if I can get away with a seal and inner CV I'll be well happy.

Is that the Lynx engine with the MTX 75 transmission?If so i'm pretty sure I have an OEM brand new one without the packaging in my garage.Had it for a couple of years but wouldn't of thought it's perished.Let me know I could send it out as a freebie👍

2 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Is that the Lynx engine with the MTX 75 transmission?If so i'm pretty sure I have an OEM brand new one without the packaging in my garage.Had it for a couple of years but wouldn't of thought it's perished.Let me know I could send it out as a freebie👍

That's the very one mate, I appreciate the offce/  I'll be sure to post back with what my garage find. 👍

2 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

That's the very one mate, I appreciate the offce/  I'll be sure to post back with what my garage find. 👍

No problem 👍

On 8/3/2019 at 6:07 PM, 1979Damian said:

I have the transmission seal.I won’t be using it so give me a shout if you want it.I’d rather give it away to be used than binned.Can’t be bothered to sell on eBay👍

Good news, 1 replacement seal (where the passenger side drive shaft enters the gearbox) plus fresh gearbox oil and the car's sorted.  £88 all in and this includes a genuine Ford seal so I'm happy with that, I also fitted a replacement (Hutchison) gearbox top mount at the weekend whilst servicing the car and the slight feeling of inertia that was present before (when getting on the power) is gone.

Hopefully I can add a few more trouble free miles to the 164K currently on that clock and thanks again to @williamweb for the offer of a free gearbox seal 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club