Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 1.8 TDI starting problems solved

s5tuart

This may be helpful to others.

I recently began experiencing weird starting problems.

The engine would turn over, but sometimes only very slowly, as if I had a flat battery. It would start but sounded very laboured whilst trying to start. Once the car had been started it would start fine for the rest of the day.

I checked the battery voltage at 12.4 volts and the voltage whilst charging was around 14 volts.

On reading the battery date code of 2012 I decided to change it anyway because the problem with it losing charge seemed to be getting worse as the days went by.

A couple of days later the same problem started to occur.

Then one morning, went to start the car and the battery was completely dead!

The garage I took it to diagnosed shorting windings in the starter motor drawing the battery, BUT they said that the problem had been caused by a leaky gasket in the cooling system.

Apparently there is a thermostat housing (?) directly above the starter motor, where if the gaskets give up it will drip on to the starter and cause the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club