Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic sign recognition software upgrade?

DAVEWILL5

Hi

My 2018 Edge Sport is in Frauds for a service this week, and i want them to check the traffic sign recognition software is up to date.  

The recognition on this Edge is certainly nowhere near as good as my Galaxy (2015) model was

I think i remember a post on here from last year saying there is a software upgrade to the "standard installation", could someone please let me know if that is correct, and if the dealer should be able to do it?

Thanks

What is wrong with your traffic sign recognition, in comparison with the Galaxy ?  I’ve not had any issues with mine. 

Hi Ian

OK, on the Edge it doesn't pick up all traffic signs.  I.e i can be in a 40 mph zone and it shows 40 mph on the dash, then when i go out of that zone to the "de regulated" zone, (as in the round white sign with the black line across it - 60 mph) it doesn't recognise that sign and therefore no speed limit is shown on the dash

It also fails to pick up speed limit signs above the motorway gantrys, so when they go from 40 mph to 50 mph or whatever it doesn't see all these and shows no speed sign on the dash.

On one road near me it does always pick up the "no overtaking" sign, and display that as the top round warning sign on the dash

The previous Galaxy picked up all signage all the time, so i can only assume as the Edge was made in Canada, it is not UK road "friendly" or aware in terms of all road signs.

PS I do keep the windscreen in front of the camera clean, so a dirty screen is not the problem

Just the same as mine then. I assumed that was as good as it gets as it’s the first car I’ve had with it. It will be interesting to see if they can ‘fix’ it.  It’s a bit of a gimmick to be honest, like most extra features fitted these days, which used to be under the skill and judgement of the driver’s eyes. Now we have things to say I’m going out of my lane, warning me of impending doom and crashing into the car in front and telling me what the speed limit is. I know, as I’m a careful and very competent driver !!  Keep us posted though. 

There was an IDS software update for some early Edges as they were not configured correctly for the UK. I would have thought they had all been done by now. but if available still it will fix your issues.

They might do it free of charge if you ask nicely but if it was any Dealer I'm connected with not if you call them Frauds...........................

H

OK

Dealer said they were not aware of any software upgrades to the sign recognition system, so i will have to live with the "flakey" performance

On a separate not they reported that the front pads were 80% worn and needed replacing soon (car has done 29,000 miles) The discs themselves were fine, as were the rear pads and discs

They quoted £216 (incl vat) to replace the front pads

Anyone had their front pads done, and if so how much (from a dealer or garage)

1 hour ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

Not done the pads on my Edge yet, but always do pads myself. For the Edge they are around £25 a set for the fronts, so unless it takes them 2 hours to do a 30-40 minute job, I'd personally say that's a bit pricey, but then again dealers always are!

Having a look on the Ford Motorcraft site, for similar size cars they are quoting around £110 to £120 ...

image.thumb.png.5cdf714822cfd88c59a9b1a48229f963.png

18 hours ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

OK

Dealer said they were not aware of any software upgrades to the sign recognition system, so i will have to live with the "flakey" performance

On a separate not they reported that the front pads were 80% worn and needed replacing soon (car has done 29,000 miles) The discs themselves were fine, as were the rear pads and discs

You don't have to live with 'Flakey' Performance. The update is available through IDS, they don't need to be 'aware' of it as it only covered a few vehicles where the traffic sign recognition software was not updated from the Canadian one.

Go back, get them to connect to IDS, follow the diagnostic routine with an accurate description of the concern and IDS will 'offer' the update.

Simples

• Like 1

I’d say something not right with it, have you tried the cruise control with intelligent speed limiter? About 3 times now whilst on the motorway it’s read the “This vehicle is limited to 50 mph” speed symbol on the back of a truck and slammed the brakes on, the first time I wondered what the hell was going on and disengaged immediately, left me a little shaken as the motorway was free flowing. I would have thought it would know the speed symbol was on a moving vehicle on not on the roadside or overhead gantry. So I tried it a couple more times, and when passing vehicles with a limited to ??mph speed symbol on the back the car reads it and adjusts the speed, even though I’m in a different lane overtaking them!!

If cars are going to read road signs in the future and alter the driving dynamics of the vehicle this needs to be taken into account. Or are Ford behind the curve in this area compared to others?

It’s now a feature I’ll not use again, I’ll just stick to adaptive cruise.

Recipe for disaster at the moment.

It can be just as erratic on new Focus 4.Not reading or misreading signs . I noticed on M1 recently that some roadside repeater signs in smart section do not have circle around limit number so do not get read. Don't forget however that limiter actually uses a combination of sign recognition and GPS map data (that's how it distinguishes between national speed limit and dual carriageway limit for example) so sometimes if data is out of date a conflict can cause sudden speed reduction eg on motorways where long long term roadworks have finished.

Loz on the merc forums there are complaints about their latest cars doing the same thing too. 

I can't say I ever look at the speed limit display on mine.

As mentioned on other threads, I find the TSR a useful aid. However, it gets things wrong either through incorrect GPS data or failing to read dirty/hidden/badly placed road signs.  No way would I trust these things to regulate the speed on their own, at the current rate of accuracy.

I experienced a new "feature" of TSR the other day

My car actually recognised "The national speed limit" sign i.e the black diagonal line through the white circle.

This is the first time i have ever seen this sign come up on the dash

In fact as i drove along this specific road, the dashboard showed 2 signs top and bottom.

The top sign was no overtaking, the bottom sign showed 40 mph speed limit, and then when i exited this stretch and passed the national speed sign, up popped the white circle with black line through it (and the others disappeared)

So now confused as to why it does not pick up the national speed sign in other areas?? 

Did the no overtaking display on the car match the hatchlines actually painted on the road?

The ‘no overtaking’ sign is read by the camera, irrespective of whether the lines on the road are correct or not, although I’d be surprised if there was a sign, without a double white line system. 

10 hours ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

I experienced a new "feature" of TSR the other day

My car actually recognised "The national speed limit" sign i.e the black diagonal line through the white circle.

This is the first time i have ever seen this sign come up on the dash

In fact as i drove along this specific road, the dashboard showed 2 signs top and bottom.

The top sign was no overtaking, the bottom sign showed 40 mph speed limit, and then when i exited this stretch and passed the national speed sign, up popped the white circle with black line through it (and the others disappeared)

So now confused as to why it does not pick up the national speed sign in other areas?? 

So, have you had the IDS Update yet?

H

I ignore it and just look out of the windscreen, i think its just another hindrance to proper observation 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kevin

No the system has not been "upgraded" via IDS, this just happened

I did travel this stretch of road again at the weekend, and exactly the same happened again.

The no overtaking sign was on the road side (on a pole) not painted on the road, and the national speed limit sign is also on a pole

if i go that way again i will take picture of signs shown on dashboard

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club