Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High mileage MK3 TDCI buying advice

tobee1k

Hello everyone. Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or has been covered before, I had a hunt but couldn't find anything similar.

I'm looking for a bit of advice before buying a MK3. I'm looking for a 1.6 TDCI Titanium estate and have been offered one for a really good price. It's a 2012, had two owners from new, FSH just had timing belt and clutch kit done and went through last MOT in April with no advisories (8k miles ago). Only potential issue is that it has done 144k miles. It seems to have been well cared for but should I pass on it with that kind of mileage? I had a MK1.5 for many years that went well past 200k before I sold it - I realise they are very different beasts but hoping that a well cared for MK3 might be good for a decent high mileage too. Appreciate any thoughts. 

I can't really answer the question but my first thought is what sort of mileage will you do and how many years do you want it to last.

I've had issues with 2x Mk3s at sub 50k, certainly wouldn't risk one on that sort of mileage myself.

Was the DMF done with the clutch?  Were any gearbox bearings replaced?  Has the DPF been replaced yet? (Even the cDPF has its limits!).  Have the injectors been replaced?  

But it's not just the engine, the suspension will all be on its last legs by now, and even the electric steering rack...

If it's super cheap and you don't mind the odd breakdown then financially it might be worth the risk.  But it wouldn't be for me.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club