Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring diagram required for MK3 internal central locking switch

JPW

I have just took the door card off........
and.......
there's no ***** module on mine!
Dam and Blast!!! 

What does the module actually look like?

I’ve got the mk3 ST-2 and the amount of unused looms and connectors I’ve found taped up is unbelievable. I’m wondering if I may be lucky and have the module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What controls it then?? Is it driven direct from the BCM? I haven't looked either yet!

However I do know my right rear door has a module as I saw it whilst replacing a speaker last week. Not sure if it's an all or nothing thing, so hopefully it means I do have a driver module installed.

What spec Focus do you have?

James

It must be controlled by the BCM. My Focus is pretty low spec. I had the most basic stereo without bluetooth, that's why I fitted the Sync unit. I've only got electric windows in the front and plan to fit them in the rear at some point when a donor car comes into my local scrappy. I am surprised and gutted that I haven't got a module in the front though. 

That's a shame. I'm sure it could be retrofitted. Surely there must still be wires in the door card as the central locking must be activated by the door handle etc...

Yeah I was gutted when I couldn't find it, especially as I have some better door cards that came with the half leather seats I bought. They have ambient leds in the door handle and pockets. Oh well, like I said, I plan to put the electric windows in the back and I believe you have to replace the door looms and modules in all of the doors. And possibly the floor wiring as well. 

Yeah. I have the Titanium with the LED ambient lighting, plus all power windows and puddle lamps so I'm hoping it's all via a door module.

Hoping the facelift door card fits too!

Whether the car has door modules or not depends on the options the car has. There are several options that require door modules. For example:

* Comfort windows (4-electric windows).
* Puddle lights.
* Folding mirrors.
* BLIS
* Ambient Lighting.

If the car does not have one or more of these options there will be no door modules.

The 4-electric windows (comfort windows) system is completely different from the standard 2-electric windows system. The standard 2-electric windows are controlled conventionally using switches and relays. The 4-electric windows are controlled digitally by the door modules and CANbus system. Litterally every part of the system is different. Even the front window motors.

If you want to install the MK3.5 Lock/Unlock switch to a MK3 without door modules there is a possibility but this requires some soldering skills and possibly some modifications to the Lock/Unlock switch. You can just connect the wires of the Lock/Unlock switch to the circuit board of an old (or cheap Chinese) keyfob and place it behind the door panel. The keyfob circuit board can be powered by a cheap 12V --> 3V DC converter. This way the Lock/Unlock switch will act like a keyfob and controls the central locking system remotely (it can even be programmed like a keyfob). 

Another solution to solve the missing Lock/Unlock button after installing the SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 system on a Focus MK3 is by installing a generic pushbutton:

spacer.png

These buttons are available in several different versions, colors and sizes and only cost a few pounds. Some sellers even offer the possibility to order customized version based on your own design.

I am seriously considering to install a black, 22 mm, multicolor LED version of this type of switch at the location of the cigarette lighter/power plug. 

@JW1982

So it should be possible, if the door uses a module, to use the unlock/lock switch from an MK3.5?

Cheers

@JW1982 

What is the proper name of these switches? Also, if I was to get one with an LED, what voltage LED would be needed for my focus? Any links you have would be helpful. I'd be looking for the lock/ unlock and also heater rear screen. 

The trouble with the original switches are they need to be mounted about 10mm below the trim to sit flush, if that makes sense.

@JW1982

Thanks for that. I have to go back to work now, so I'll get some of these switches ordered for when I get back on February. 

My MK3.5 door card is due to arrive today, so let's see what it's like, if it fits and if the wiring can be tapped in to and work.

• Like 2

My MK3.5 door card is due to arrive today, so let's see what it's like, if it fits and if the wiring can be tapped in to and work.

Good luck! I’m hoping it will work, really want an oem style central locking button rather than and random one.

Just to confirm, your putting this in a mk3 with sync 2 retrofitted?

@Nathan Buffery @JW1982

Good news and 'need more info' news...

The facelift door card fits perfect - no issues there.

Regarding the wiring for the lock/unlock switch, I have got the Ground and Illumination working, but can't get the lock/unlock working.

I wired it up as per the diagrams but the switch does nothing when you press the lock or unlock button.

On the Door Module, Connector B, the four pins we're wanting to use are not present in the plug, so I inserted 4 new pins in to pin 4, 14, 15 and 17 respectively. E.g:

Door Module Pin -> Lock Switch Pin

4 -> 1 (Illumination)
14 -> 2 (Lock)
15 -> 4 (Unlock)
17 -> 3 (Ground)

So not sure - maybe its a resistance thing when the button is pressed?

Any ideas?

James

P.S. @Monks600 yes, I am fitting an MK3.5 door card with lock switch in to my Focus 2012 pre-facelift that I upgraded to SYNC 3 (2 is same)

• Like 1

I suspect that the MK3 door modules do not support this functionality.

@JW1982

Thanks. However, I presumed that tapping in to the circuit wiring which is CPL42 and CPL43 - therefore it should know surely? (Regardless of the door module)

Looking at the pin outs for the A and B connector on the module it looks like the wiring is the same pre and post facelift. Hmm...

There is another option too - the original pre-facelift cars had the lock/unlock button on the radio fascia. When upgrading to SYNC 2/3 the fascia is different so this wire is no longer used. I could run the wire out to the new lock/unlock switch at the door however its a single wire that locked or unlocked the car when pressed, whereas the door switch is two separate buttons, one for lock and one for unlock, so not sure how that could be achieved?

Thanks

Also do you know if the facelift MK3.5 door module is compatible with the 2012 Focus?

Would you think it will make a difference?

James

[mention=32786]JW1982[/mention]
Thanks. However, I presumed that tapping in to the circuit wiring which is CPL42 and CPL43 - therefore it should know surely? (Regardless of the door module)
Looking at the pin outs for the A and B connector on the module it looks like the wiring is the same pre and post facelift. Hmm...
There is another option too - the original pre-facelift cars had the lock/unlock button on the radio fascia. When upgrading to SYNC 2/3 the fascia is different so this wire is no longer used. I could run the wire out to the new lock/unlock switch at the door however its a single wire that locked or unlocked the car when pressed, whereas the door switch is two separate buttons, one for lock and one for unlock, so not sure how that could be achieved?
Thanks

It’s not the whole scenario of the unit being on the correct canbus? Bit like with the GPSM module for sync where we had to splice in to the HVAC to allow the sync unit to pick it up correctly? Does that ring a bell or make sense?

I think it may be that it needs the newer MK3.5 door module. This module might be handling the switch press of the lock/unlock button and send the signal down the line back to the BCM in a way it can use it. Whereas at present the old door module doesn't do anything and isn't expecting a button press...

I think i may be that it needs the newer MK3.5 door module. This module might be handling the switch press of the lock/unlock button and send the signal down the line back to the BCM in a way it can use it. Whereas at present the old door module doesn't do anything and isn't expecting a button press...

I wonder if you can update the current door module? I know with most module you can do firmware updates on them... just a thought :)

Possibly, thought risky.

Just taken a look between the two wiring connector diagrams for the driver door module (Connector A). It appears that wires 11 and 22 are used for the switch on the facelift, but not used for anything on the pre-facelift.

I checked my car, and these wires do exist, but I guess the module isn't making use of them. So hoping I could just swap the module for a facelift one and it comes to life.

image.thumb.png.c6fca4ba0a1ae09ce03f09860675e867.png

What do you guys think?

17 hours ago, JPW said:

Good news and 'need more info' news...

The facelift door card fits perfect - no issues there.

Regarding the wiring for the lock/unlock switch, I have got the Ground and Illumination working, but can't get the lock/unlock working.

I wired it up as per the diagrams but the switch does nothing when you press the lock or unlock button.

On the Door Module, Connector B, the four pins we're wanting to use are not present in the plug, so I inserted 4 new pins in to pin 4, 14, 15 and 17 respectively. E.g:

Door Module Pin -> Lock Switch Pin

4 -> 1 (Illumination)
14 -> 2 (Lock)
15 -> 4 (Unlock)
17 -> 3 (Ground)

So not sure - maybe its a resistance thing when the button is pressed?

Oh no, this is very strange. Are the pins actually on the module? I felt sure that it would work. As far as the switch is concerned, when the switch is pressed it shorts to ground, so you could test by tapping the ground and switch together. 

With the beta version of Forscan it's possible to update the module firmware to the latest. So this is an option. 

I think I'd also be tempted to try pins 11 and 22 if they are on the PFL module. 

Like I previously said, there is a chance that the PFL BCM will not recognise the Facelift module. However I know some people on this forum have fitted the Facelift parking module to a PFL BCM with no problems. 

Sorry guys, I feel partly responsible for saying that the module would work. I guess this trial and error part of the forum that is the most valuable to others following this. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club