Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3.5 - Rear Side Light out - but where's the fuse?

vibeone

Bit of a weird one, my 2017 plate has a rear side light out.  Tried replacing the bulb with no luck.  The bulb that was in looked a bit discoloured like it had blown, so I suspect the fuse may have been taken out too.  The car doesn't appear to have front side lights - just the DRLs.

Looked through the manual but can't see it listed, and since its only one side I'm hoping their should be a fuse for the left side only.  Any ideas or suggestions as to what it could be? It's still under warranty so I assume I can take it in, it just seems a bit overkill if its the fuse!

Cheers

Has it got rear side light bulbs?  Should be LED strips on a TX surely?

I'd assume it's actually a tail light instead which might help you find the fuse, though I doubt any single bulb is fused tbh.  Was the bulb holder dirty or corroded at all?

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Has it got rear side light bulbs?  Should be LED strips on a TX surely?

I'd assume it's actually a tail light instead which might help you find the fuse, though I doubt any single bulb is fused tbh.  Was the bulb holder dirty or corroded at all?

Sorry, it is a tail light with 2 filiments, but the brake light is working correctly.

Nothing obvious with the bulb holder.  I'm gonna have to take it to Ford for a bulb out aren't I 😞

3 hours ago, vibeone said:

it is a tail light with 2 filiments, but the brake light is working correctly

I seem to remember a recent post on here to the effect that some cars with LED tail lights still have dual-filament bulbs in which only the one for the brake light is used. Like Tom I would have expected your car to have the LED tail lights. On the old bulb you should be easily able to see if the smaller tail light (5W) filament has blown. If it has then your car obviously doesn't have LEDs.

In my experience it would be extremely unusual for a blown filament to take out a fuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

I seem to remember a recent post on here to the effect that some cars with LED tail lights still have dual-filament bulbs in which only the one for the brake light is used. Like Tom I would have expected your car to have the LED tail lights. On the old bulb you should be easily able to see if the smaller tail light (5W) filament has blown. If it has then your car obviously doesn't have LEDs.

In my experience it would be extremely unusual for a blown filament to take out a fuse.

That's correct, at least when I changed my bulbs to LED they only acted as brake lights instead of rear lights. The bulbs in a LED cluster is different from the standard halogen cluster as well, which caught me on the hop. Weirdly not all cars have LED rear clusters, I've seen some Titanium 2017 spec cars with Halogen clusters, my own 2015 was halogen until I swapped the clusters out. 

As to the fault, do you have a multi-meter? If so try to determine if there's power going through the circuit, if there is then you can eliminate the fuse leaving the socket and/or assembly at fault. You can check the fuses, and the socket and, maybe, the leads.

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to be doing too much with it still being in warranty.  Here’s a photo... 

9F436E7D-39E9-41ED-A71B-6088B00973E6.jpeg

C907B8F5-C007-4DC3-BB2F-DD636EA4CE31.jpeg

That looks like the LED type cluster (single 'tick mark' line at the bottom), so only one filament will work for the brakes. The LEDs are not user replaceable, so take it back to the garage to fault find or replace the cluster.

• Like 1

Now I’m really confused - one side does light up though (the upper section?). And on the lower section, it appears to be a parking light of some sort because the drivers side isn’t connected (2 pin small plug?)

6 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

You've got mixed clusters?

No idea. It’s 2nd hand so maybe it was replaced?!

I’ll take them off again in the light and take more pics. I’m wondering whether it’s been replaced tho now.

This is what the LED rear lights look like, if they don't match then it's had work in the past.

image.thumb.png.baae3b8d9359ed8ea76b2128f2f0c3fc.pngT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defo don’t match. But it’s weird - so I believe the lower section (as shown in your pic) is powered from a very small connector with 2 pins? 

the assumption would be that they’ve replaced the drivers side with a non-led version but the wiring is there (black connector on the cluster side) but no loom on the car (unless it’s been pushed back).

I’ll need to have a look - clearly something is off, and I appreciate all the help but it still doesn’t make sense since both clusters appear to be LED

• Sad 1

Ok sorry for the multi post, but to keep things simple. Here is the drivings side wiring in which you can see the old school halogen side is present:

as you can see, there is no loom to connect to the LED segment...

48E8391C-8916-410B-AE84-E9C9A3E7D4F4.jpeg

DE839CC9-7A7A-4555-AC7A-C9CC44DFBE70.jpeg

And on the passenger side, the led works, and is connected.  So although clearly something very odd is happening, where the hell is the loom for the drivers led - because it appears to be integral on the passenger side.  Again, here is the passenger side for comparison:

21275D18-B691-4CF5-AB92-6AC9588CCB3E.jpeg

2EA36312-644C-457E-9D3F-BCC50E968B74.jpeg

Which leaves me with this ridiculous situation.  I’m just surprised I didn’t notice sooner 😞 

Edit: it’s the loom isn’t it.  The loom within the cluster from the big multi plug is wrong.  Any idea whether they can be purchased separately? Pretty sure I can just mimic the wiring if not and it’ll work but Car is still under warranty from the seller and with ford, but I suspect ford will say it’s been messed with. 

C78603BF-8072-49F9-AE96-C9DDCFCCD7AD.jpeg

LED clusters are just drop-in replacements, they use the same loom. when I converted my lights I just swapped the leads over from the halogen to LED and they worked out of the box, I don't have any images at the mo but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to take some shots for you but you should be able to figure out the leads from the working LED set.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

LED clusters are just drop-in replacements, they use the same loom. when I converted my lights I just swapped the leads over from the halogen to LED and they worked out of the box, I don't have any images at the mo but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to take some shots for you but you should be able to figure out the leads from the working LED set.

That would be helpful - thank you.  Im on my phone at the moment but will go on a like spree tomorrow for everyone who’s helped.

When I said loom I meant within the cluster itself - it appears as first glance the LED 2 pin is just tapped in on serial with the halogen - not sure what turns the halogen off though.  It’s like they found an led cluster but used wiring from a non-led cluster or some other madness.

i believe the pink wire need cutting, and patching into the LED, and the net from that patched back in.  Really don’t want to get into this, but how do I explain this to the car supermarket monkeys or ford!  

might be safer to do it myself...

EDIT: Update, for the first time ever, the thing I wanted was on eBay for a reaonable price, at the right time.  I've bought a broken LED cluster for very cheap, so I'm just gonna take the wiring off it and put it in mine.  Considering I'd need to buy the right connector and grommit etc, this seems the best solution.

As attached, this would be my plan to fix it.  However, I'm not sure if this will mean both the LED and halogen will light up?

I'm also going to test the LED first direct to battery before cutting any wiring.

adjusted.jpg

Here's the rear cluster, hope it proves of use. Sorry about the dirt, this is after only two days after getting washed!

rear-cluster.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

Here's the rear cluster, hope it proves of use. Sorry about the dirt, this is after only two days after getting washed!

rear-cluster.jpg

thanks!  oddly you have different colours, but ultimately it's as I thought, but I've hopefully got a donor cluster now too.  Thanks for everyones help!

Boom! All sorted.  The cluster is defo not genuine ford (compared with the genuine one I bought). Very happy with the solution though. Just need to sell the donor cluster now!

Thanks for all the help!

44D36C7B-6326-4CE3-8502-FC169A2B6F79.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club