Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK7 N/S/R rattle/knock

Si_James

On 2/1/2020 at 6:04 PM, Ian Lanc said:

Well the bushes got changed today and by heck was they worn, the passenger side was so worn the alloy sleeve was almost broken away from the rubber and you could see where it had been knocking on frame which bolts to the chassis, also the alloy bush had severely flattened itself, check the photo's of the old bushes against the brand new bushes, drivers side bush was also loose but not as bad, having never renewed this type of bush it was rather daunting getting everything sorted & pressing the bush in was an eye opener, got to be dead level or it don't go in, the hardest part was drilling out the push, in the first video link he says he changed them in an hour, this is utter crap, we started the job at 10:30am and finished at 4:00pm, this was for both sides, son in laws dad popped around whilst we was doing the bushes, he was shocked to see us changing them and he owns a ford focus and had his bushes changed early last year, total cost he shelled out was a whopping £500 all in!!!!

When everything was done and the car was back done on her wheels we took it for a run, straight away...NO rattling or clunking and the whole car felt more tight, just like it did when it was brand new, going over ramps was a joy with no noise, from now on i'm going over ramps even slower.

bush-002.jpg

bush-003.jpg

bush-004.jpg

I'm sorry late reply, I didn't know you had replied until today!.

Well done on completing it, looks quite a job and obviously time consuming and I can see if you pictures they are totally shot!

I'm pleased it all looks to be sorted for you and I'm hoping I have a similar outcome although they don't as yet suspect mine are worn.

Thing is how can you tell unless you strip it down?, surely if you have a lot of noise at the back end and the springs and shockers are ok it's surely got to be the bushes.

It's good news that it tightens everything up so must drive better.

You've saved yourself a small fortune then doing it yourself. 🙂

• Like 1

If a large pry bar is placed between the chassis & axle arm and give it a wiggle any movement will be apparent, got to be done on a lift to carry that out though, plus the alloy bush centre should fit into the steel chassis frame snugly, any gaps means it's worn as mine was and the axle slid from side to side, also looking for bits of alloy where it's been rubbing, Son was pretty shocked to see them and wonders how his 14 plate ST is fairing up, it's unreal how it's made the car feel as It goes around corners like it used to do, like on rails.

What gets me I've read similar cries for help & advice on such noises at the back end and no one ever replies, surely their older cars are suffering or are they just accepting the noise as the car is old.

I'd suggest anyone who has a Fiesta from an 08 plate to maybe 14 plate to get theirs checked out.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:10 AM, Ian Lanc said:

If a large pry bar is placed between the chassis & axle arm and give it a wiggle any movement will be apparent, got to be done on a lift to carry that out though, plus the alloy bush centre should fit into the steel chassis frame snugly, any gaps means it's worn as mine was and the axle slid from side to side, also looking for bits of alloy where it's been rubbing, Son was pretty shocked to see them and wonders how his 14 plate ST is fairing up, it's unreal how it's made the car feel as It goes around corners like it used to do, like on rails.

What gets me I've read similar cries for help & advice on such noises at the back end and no one ever replies, surely their older cars are suffering or are they just accepting the noise as the car is old.

I'd suggest anyone who has a Fiesta from an 08 plate to maybe 14 plate to get theirs checked out.

Well it didn't quite go to plan at the garage due to a mix up with the courtesy car but I've taken it after work so they could have a quick look as ironically the noise has got worse this last week so they actually heard it tonight and they have a pit in the garage so I went down and had a look with him.

He used a bar on the n/s/r bush and could clearly hear it squeaking so it's shot basically, I'm just so relieved I know what it is!.

I'm really looking forward to getting them swapped out and will hopefully feel like yours and be silent.

It's making more noise than ever now lol worse since he's moved it about.

I'll let you know how much it is when they phone me tomorrow.

Hope yours is still silent?!.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Si_James said:

He used a bar on the n/s/r bush and could clearly hear it squeaking so it's shot basically, I'm just so relieved I know what it is!.

I'm really looking forward to getting them swapped out and will hopefully feel like yours and be silent.

It's making more noise than ever now lol worse since he's moved it about.

I'll let you know how much it is when they phone me tomorrow.

Hope yours is still silent?!.

Best to get the car checked out James, anyone who ignores such a noise must be a fool to just think ''Oh it's an old car so noises can be expected''

No doubt the garage you use will be trustworthy, but when you've got the car back ask to see the old bushes and after a few days do look around the axle yourself, just to make sure everything looks as it should and everything is all tight and that includes the roadwheel bolts.

Be good to know what the cost will be for you ? Do share that with me & any silent viewers looking in on the forum.

Yep not a single sound from our car now, infact it's bliss, but I have gave it a thought about checking the front bushes on the wishbones, makes me wonder if they are getting worn.

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Best to get the car checked out James, anyone who ignores such a noise must be a fool to just think ''Oh it's an old car so noises can be expected''

No doubt the garage you use will be trustworthy, but when you've got the car back ask to see the old bushes and after a few days do look around the axle yourself, just to make sure everything looks as it should and everything is all tight and that includes the roadwheel bolts.

Be good to know what the cost will be for you ? Do share that with me & any silent viewers looking in on the forum.

Yep not a single sound from our car now, infact it's bliss, but I have gave it a thought about checking the front bushes on the wishbones, makes me wonder if they are getting worn.

Really pleased it's all quiet for you and I think this explains why my car feels like it's pulling allover the place on poor roads despite the tracking been checked twice!!.

I can't wait to get them replaced and might feel like driving it properly!!, They called me back earlier and it's going to cost me £192.38 and that's genuine Ford bushes.

I'm going in next Tuesday :).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Si_James said:

They called me back earlier and it's going to cost me £192.38 and that's genuine Ford bushes.

Not a bad price that, infact I'd be happy! Get the car in again to be tracked after the bushes are done.

To behonest over the past two years fell out of love with the Fiesta due to that horrid noise, but since the bushes have been changed and the car feels like it was 10 years ago I've a feeling for the old gal' again, so ordered some new car mats and gave her a good cleaning today, It's not everyone's cuppa tea but I've grown out of sports cars.

tit-001.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Not a bad price that, infact I'd be happy! Get the car in again to be tracked after the bushes are done.

To behonest over the past two years fell out of love with the Fiesta due to that horrid noise, but since the bushes have been changed and the car feels like it was 10 years ago I've a feeling for the old gal' again, so ordered some new car mats and gave her a good cleaning today, It's not everyone's cuppa tea but I've grown out of sports cars.

tit-001.jpg

It looks great 🙂 they really are nice looking cars aren't they.

I know what you mean that noise had totally spoilt the driving experience so can't wait to have mine changed, maybe while I've owned it it's probably never been tight due to these bushes wearing so I reckon it will feel like yours when it's done.

I'm pleased with that price it seems reasonable to me, I know the garage I used to go to would have been a lot more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, Si_James said:

I'm going in next Tuesday :).

You get em' done ?

On 2/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, Ian Lanc said:

You get em' done ?

Hi Ian, really sorry for delay in reply.

Yes all good thank you and total silence, such a nice feeling.

It feels tighter all-round and planted to the road more, I had my tracking checked and drivers side was way out!.

I'd only had it checked recently but he's advised every 4 months for me, mainly because I'm running on 205/40/17 wheels so easily knocked out.

The state of the roads don't help!!, Unfortunately I need a new o/s/r tyre as it's cracking between the tread, this explains why I'm getting a worn wheel bearing type noise.

I'm taking it tomorrow for the tyre so slowly but surely getting there, it's been an expensive few weeks!.

Cheers Simon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Si_James said:

Yes all good thank you and total silence, such a nice feeling.

I had my tracking checked and drivers side was way out!.

I'd only had it checked recently but he's advised every 4 months for me, mainly because I'm running on 205/40/17 wheels so easily knocked out.

Glad you've got them sorted, makes sence for anyone with such a noise to get the car checked out.

My son has a mega fast ST, he has the tracking checked every 3 months due to having Michelin Pilot Sport tyres fitted, and swaps his tyres from corner to corner every month, he wants them to wear out evenly

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

Glad you've got them sorted, makes sence for anyone with such a noise to get the car checked out.

My son has a mega fast ST, he has the tracking checked every 3 months due to having Michelin Pilot Sport tyres fitted, and swaps his tyres from corner to corner every month, he wants them to wear out evenly

Sounds a nice car and excellent tyres those 🙂

one day I'd like to upgrade to an ST and with the mk8 out they should keep dropping in price hopefully for the mk7's.

yeah definitely like that guy said to you it's a very common issue particularly on the Fiesta's 

7 hours ago, Si_James said:

Sounds a nice car and excellent tyres those 🙂 one day I'd like to upgrade to an ST and with the mk8 out they should keep dropping in price hopefully for the mk7's.

It's a pocket rocket of a Fiesta, been in a few fast fords in my time but this kills them all, up to 145 mph within seconds.

69241051-10214097391138340-5540463728295

1 minute ago, Ian Lanc said:

It's a pocket rocket of a Fiesta, been in a few fast fords in my time but this kills them all, up to 145 mph within seconds.

69241051-10214097391138340-5540463728295

Gorgeous!!, love it and hope to have one one day but in the meantime I'm happy with my Zetec S!.

Do you know anyone who wants a catback exhaust for a Zetec s?, I've just advertised it on here.

1 hour ago, Si_James said:

Do you know anyone who wants a catback exhaust for a Zetec s?, I've just advertised it on here.

I don't Si, Sorry mate!

12 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

I don't Si, Sorry mate!

No worries, I've popped a post in the parts section.

Would it be allowed to mention it specifically on the fiesta forum but only to tell them it's advertised in the for sale area?.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, just a quick post to say that I too think I may have this problem on my missus' 2011 fiesta.  Over any kind of bump there is a loud rubbing/knocking/clunking noise coming from the wheel arch area and I spent all day replacing the worn rear spring bushes thinking this was the culprit when it wasn't.  😞

After much poking and prodding around I came to the conclusion that it could be either the shock had worn somewhere, or the very bushes that you have replaced were to blame.  But I have been searching youtube/google today trying to gather as much intel as possible before even thinking of committing to anything and your thread has helped alot.

Thank you for the photos as now I can at least have some idea of what to look for when I next jack up the car and take a closer look.  I'm dreading doing this though as I can see the bushes being a pain to remove.  Will hopefully keep you updated, but thanks again.

• 6 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, Si_James said:

Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from you!, wow it seems we have the exact same issue and it is very annoying on what is otherwise a great car.

I've had reassurance that the axle bushes are ok and like you the shocker, spring and top mount plus isolater are all new.

I haven't checked the interior to your level but have a feeling there is no issue there and it's something else.

I'm thinking one of the new components is faulty but don't want to throw more money at it for nothing.

I wonder if it's worth asking the garage I use now to take it all off and re-fit and grease it all up?.

It just seems unlikely a new spring, shocker or top mount is faulty but it can make a noise on the smallest bump or dip in the road so seems more apparent on man hole cover type or small succession of bumps in one go.

Cheers

Simon.

Hi, did you find out what it was as I have the exact same issue. Very annoying and no one can find the noise.

Thanks Karen

• Sad 1

My issue ended up being my rear brakes. I replaced and lubed the slide Pins. I also noticed my brakes were replaced incorrectly the anti rattle pins  were not even and spread between the inside of caliper. After replacing all the and installing the pads correctly all rattles and noises over bumps went away. Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

HI HAVE JUST DONE THE SAME NEW BUSHES NEW SHOCK AND TOP MOUNT AND BOLTS  TOOK THE TRIM OFF AS THE CLICKING/KNOCKING NOISE IS COMING FROM THE B POST , STILL DOING IT BUT TONIGHT I NOTICED IF I HOLD THE CORNER TOP OF THE DOOR AND PUSH THE CLICKING NOISE IS IN THE B POST .....UNLESS ITS TRAVELLING ITS DRIVING ME MAD ...

sorry for caps .

• 10 months later...

Hi, I've got the exact same annoying banging noise on my 2016 Mk7.5 fiesta. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Going to get the axle bushes checked out. I'll get back to everyone when they are done and see if it fixes it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club