Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

54 minutes ago, Wino said:

Got in the car earlier today and started it up as normal. 

Pressed the Autohold button and set off 30m to the junction. At the junction there was a car approaching so had to stop and give way.

Now normally I would simply put foot on brake and stop then proceed as normal to drive off.

This time I stopped the car as normal then took my foot off of the brake pedal expecting the auto hold to keep the car still bearing in mind its an almost flat road with a slight rise to the junction and the car rolled backwards so ended up using the foot brake as per normal 🙄

Did you press it firmly enough? If so obviously there is a glitch. Its never happened on mine though I've only had it 3 weeks or so. 

52 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Replied without reading properly. Yeah that shouldn’t happen 

the few times mines turned itself off has been when the engines been off. I’ve noticed at first junction 

Yeah. I did wonder if that wastge issue but I did get the full accessory notification upon start up and the battery was at 12.2 prior to start up.

I switched it off after as the next two junctions were downhill and both onto busy main roads.

Will try it out again next time but it also got me thinking along the lines as is the Auto hold as temperamental the stop start function ? 😂

10 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Did you press it firmly enough? If so obviously there is a glitch. Its never happened on mine though I've only had it 3 weeks or so. 

I believe so. It was lit up.

13 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Are u talking auto hold or handbrake coming on automatically? 

2 very different things. 

If we presume all fords are the same , this is how it should work

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Are u talking auto hold or handbrake coming on automatically? 

2 very different things. 

Auto hold. I know the difference between the two. 

20 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Auto hold. I know the difference between the two. 

See the handbrake activating automatically, I can’t find any mention of that in the owners manual. 
Any idea which page that’s on? 

4 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

See the handbrake activating automatically, I can’t find any mention of that in the owners manual. 
Any idea which page that’s on? 

No, don't think it is going by what people have said. 

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I believe so. It was lit up.

The orange auto hold button or the green A on the dash? I presume the green A but you never know. 

35 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

If we presume all fords are the same , this is how it should work

Conclusive evidence there mate ! Makes sense now 

The alert/noise when opening the door while the engine is running made me think ..close the door..turn off ignition..put on parkbrake. 
When really it does all that itself 

I’m sceptical already , and people having safety issues with it , maybe that’s why it’s not on the manual 

17 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

The orange auto hold button or the green A on the dash? I presume the green A but you never know. 

The Auto hold button lights up orange. Can't recall a green A but I don't often look at the dash tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

The Auto hold button lights up orange. Can't recall a green A but I don't often look at the dash tbh. 

The auto hold button if orange, is on. But that doesn't mean that you've activated it. To activate it, you need to press firmly on the brake pedal and then a green A comes on, on the dashboard. If that green is is not on/green, then auto hold will not work. 

3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

The auto hold button if orange, is on. But that doesn't mean that you've activated it. To activate it, you need to press firmly on the brake pedal and then a green A comes on, on the dashboard. If that green is is not on/green, then auto hold will not work. 

Press brake pedal firmly prior to setting off.

Will try again next time.

57 minutes ago, Wino said:

Press brake pedal firmly prior to setting off.

Will try again next time.

No. You have a button to switch it on or off. Underneath the park brake button. If on, it will light orange. You just drive as normal. To activate it when the button is switched on, as you come to a stop, firmly press the brake button and a green A will come on the dash. You then just take your foot off the brake. To move off, you just drive away as normal and the green A will go. 

I thought you said you knew how to use it and weren't confused?

2 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

No. You have a button to switch it on or off. Underneath the park brake button. If on, it will light orange. You just drive as normal. To activate it when the button is switched on, as you come to a stop, firmly press the brake button and a green A will come on the dash. You then just take your foot of the brake. To move of, you just drive away as normal and the green A will go. 

So if I roll up to a junction and judged the car to have stopped without needing to brake then the auto hold would not stop the car from rolling backwards ? 

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

So if I roll up to a junction and judged the car to have stopped without needing to brake then the auto hold would not stop the car from rolling backwards ? 

No, that's not how it works. I thought you knew about it?

37 minutes ago, Wino said:

Bud , it’s easier and simpler than you think. Turn it on, keep it on a few days you’ll sus it out..🙂👍

1 hour ago, shawty1984 said:

, as you come to a stop, firmly press the brake button

*brake pedal

just to avoid any confusion 😆 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

9E5EBE31-0D9E-49FB-86E8-C01B6BA0AFA2.thumb.jpeg.4f3c6fedf91d14ec557f2c9227003f1b.jpegThe green A top middle lets you know auto hold is on.

the green A lower left next to temperature gauge is telling you your stop/start is on (engine off).  hope that helps 

• Thanks 1

I'm 60 and have a secondary school education, I worked out how to use auto-hold by the second junction of picking up the car.

Press the button on the centre console ( that's the thing to your left between the seats) a little light in the switch will eliminate saying ON

Stop the car by pressing down on brake peddle, when stopped press a little harder and a green light will come on in the driver display

Press the Accelerator peddle to go

(THE END)

• Haha 1

I didn’t figure out how useful the auto hold is to begin with. Wasn’t on when i picked the car up.  Little bit complicated with the s/s . With AH off the s/s starts back up when foot taken off the brake. Sussed out how the ah works ..been on ever since. 

14 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I didn’t figure out how useful the auto hold is to begin with. Wasn’t on when i picked the car up.  Little bit complicated with the s/s . With AH off the s/s starts back up when foot taken off the brake. Sussed out how the ah works ..been on ever since. 

I've never had any issue with S/S and AH, because stop start never $@%£ing works 😂

• Haha 1

Before I saw this thread I wasn't aware of auto-hold, in my defence I picked my car up on the first day of lockdown so it hasn't been used all that much and I hadn't been told about it.

Turned it on today and I'm struggling to see how people have been confused by it.

When I got home & pulled up on the drive, stopped, auto-hold activated, engine still running, unclipped the seat belt & it triggered the handbrake to activate. Mine's a manual gearbox. 

Useful little feature.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club