Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to tell a 1.5 150bhp from a 182bhp

Thoric

15 hours ago, Thoric said:

I asked the seller for the V5 to check some details, he refused to show me, said something about Data Protection and that the previous owner's details are on it, so he can't. I suggested that, were I to buy it, the new V5 would always show the previous owner's details anyway and he told me that they've changed and they don't anymore - is this true or seller BS?

The V5 logbook no longer shows previous owner information so they were being truthful about that. When I got the V5 for my 2017 Fiesta, it just said the number of previous keepers and did not have any other details. 

• Thanks 1

The V5 no longer shows a history of previous owners but the V5 in Arnold Clark's possession would show the last owner (the person that they obtained the car from). Arnold Clark might not wan't you see that information as it might allow you to trace the previous owner and ask questions about the history of the car. Showing you the previous owner details might have Data Protection implications.

You are right to walk away from any car that you are not happy with, there are lots to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above, data protection prevents them from giving you previous owners details now.  They can be fined for breaching the data protection act so must make sure they don't pass anything with name & address to the customer.  This is also why you'll never get old service invoices from a dealer, just the book of stamps.  If you want history, you're better off to buy privately.

• Thanks 1

All latest Ford vehicles now state the power output of the engines on the VIN sticker in PS not bhp.  

The Vin sticker is on front drivers side B Pillar. With details in white on black sticker.

BHP is 2-3 PS lower normally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to just come back to a point that two chaps stated:

@DaveT70 "Only the ST-Line X and Vignale are 182 PS"

@Alex.S "As far as I know the 1.5L 182 is only available in the ST line X and the Vignale."

So I looked at cars specs on Parkers for 2011-2018 Hatchback Focus, to confirm which models are available with 182 BHP:
ST-Line Red, ST-Line Black, ST-Line X,
Zetec S Black, Zetec S Red,
Titanium X, Titanium X Navigator

The car I went to view was the Titanium X. It looks externally like a non-ST line (no body kit etc.) but has the 182 bhp engine. So I'm fairly sure now that the advert was honest regarding the performance of the engine, however they were definitely disingenuous regarding the history and frontal impact. So I'm grateful for everybody's advice, thank you.

Ruling out Arnold Clark - can I ask where you would all recommend making a 2nd hand purchase from? If these guys are popular but have a poor reputation (which I hadn't heard before, but I don't exactly have my ear to the ground) who can I turn to for an honest sales experience? Auctions? Private? Small trade?

6 minutes ago, Thoric said:

I wanted to just come back to a point that two chaps stated:

@DaveT70 "Only the ST-Line X and Vignale are 182 PS"

@Alex.S "As far as I know the 1.5L 182 is only available in the ST line X and the Vignale."

So I looked at cars specs on Parkers for 2011-2018 Hatchback Focus, to confirm which models are available with 182 BHP:
ST-Line Red, ST-Line Black, ST-Line X,
Zetec S Black, Zetec S Red,
Titanium X, Titanium X Navigator

The car I went to view was the Titanium X. It looks externally like a non-ST line (no body kit etc.) but has the 182 bhp engine. So I'm fairly sure now that the advert was honest regarding the performance of the engine, however they were definitely disingenuous regarding the history and frontal impact.

I think everyone may have assumed you were talking about a Mk 4 - apparently you meant the Mk 3.5. 

• Like 2

The comments Ian posted of mine earlier, were originally written about the Mk3.5 1.5 4 cylinder, although I would imagine the Mk4 1.5 3 cylinder is basically the same in terms of difference in map between 150 and 180 anyway.

• Like 2

All I would say on this is that even if they are the same to 4500 rpm, the redline is 6750 which is a good 2250 rpm of higher power and torque.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thoric said:

Ruling out Arnold Clark

As much as I’d say avoid AC , they sell so many cars , as long as you are careful there’s no reason why you can’t find a decent car through them.

I got my mk4 from Macklin motors. I think down south they’re called Bristol Street. 

Never 100% trust any used car salesman is good advice. 

And yeah thought you were talking about mk4 182 engines. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thoric said:

Just to confuse things as well, in the Mk3 (2011-2014) it's a 1.6 4-cyl EcoBoost, in the Mk3.5 it's a 1.5 4-cyl EcoBoost that have the 150PS and 184PS engine options.

Most of the comments so far are broadly applicable to the 1.6, downsized 1.5, and the new 3-cyl 1.5 - the torque band is mostly the same in normal driving rev ranges so day-to-day you'd see little or no difference.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The comments Ian posted of mine earlier, were originally written about the Mk3.5 1.5 4 cylinder, although I would imagine the Mk4 1.5 3 cylinder is basically the same in terms of difference in map between 150 and 180 anyway.

16 minutes ago, karlbbb said:

Just to confuse things as well, in the Mk3 (2011-2014) it's a 1.6 4-cyl EcoBoost, in the Mk3.5 it's a 1.5 4-cyl EcoBoost that have the 150PS and 184PS engine options.

Most of the comments so far are broadly applicable to the 1.6, downsized 1.5, and the new 3-cyl 1.5 - the torque band is mostly the same in normal driving rev ranges so day-to-day you'd see little or no difference.

Yes, I think similar comments would apply to the 150/182 back to the original 1.6 in the early Mk 3. To me, the 182 seemed to work better in the "sporty"  Zetec S/ST Line versions with their slightly firmer suspension.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club