Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto-hold

excession_ocp

Hi there.

I've been noticing that auto-hold sometimes fails to work, particularly after I pull up somewhere and prepare to leave the car.  I've noticed that this mainly happens on level ground, which leads me to believe that auto-hold only works on inclines rather than level ground.  I was wondering if someone can give me some advice here?  Thanks 🙂

Hill-hold and auto parking brake are not the same thing.

There’s at least one big thread on this subject on here. 

I thought the outcome of previous ‘conversations’ was that it’s not an automatic parking brake and you need to manually engage the brake every time you park the car. Not sure 🤔 I have an automatic , auto hold isn’t for parking the car in mine.

11 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

There’s at least one big thread on this subject on here. 

Ah thanks, I should have searched.  I'll see if I can find it.

9 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I thought the outcome of previous ‘conversations’ was that it’s not an automatic parking brake and you need to manually engage the brake every time you park the car. Not sure 🤔 I have an automatic , auto hold isn’t for parking the car in mine.

If auto-hold is engaged (green light in the dash) then it turns into a red parking brake when I switch the ignition off, but if auto-hold isn't engaged then the EPB doesn't kick in.  Kinda makes sense!

• Like 1

Replying to one's self - but I've found the answer in the thread mentioned by Alex.S:

Posted by DaveT70:

"I'm not saying you do this but autohold switches off automatically if you take your seat belt off.

Do you take your belt off as you are coming to a halt or pulling on your drive etc etc?

If you are reversing, auto hold will only engage once you have take the vehicle out of reverse (and have seat belt on)

You also have to wait when you want to stop the car for the green lamp to illuminate, with your seatbelt still on, before you power off the car. The handbrake will then automatically engage.

If it's still playing up after all that, ensure the dealer is updating all modules as they can conflict"

In my case I realised that this was only happening when I'd taken my seat belt off to open the gate at work then park in the yard!  Doh!

Mods, please feel free to lock this thread.  Lesson learned - always search before posting! 

Yes. It does happen sometimes. It just switches itself off. It is hard to work out exactly why. Does your orange light go out too on the switch? Mine has been better since the two days of updates for software issues, but seems to do it after certain types of engine stops. Then you don’t notice it is off until you try to brake using that feature. If the auto hold is off,  then  the parking brake doesn’t come on either at the end of your journey. It is a bit of a mystery. 
I just look out for the little A and then the red light for the parking brake. I’ve got used to it now and at least it works properly now with hill start assist and holds on inclines which it didn’t do before when you tried to pull away. You had to use the manual brake. 
One  poster in a different thread thought it was a certain sequence of pedal presses that switched it off; like use of the brake pedal in a certain way, but I don’t think anybody quite knows what that sequence is. 
You just need to get into the habit of checking the orange light is on every new drive. 
The auto hold feature works on inclines and the flat. It is hill start assist that kicks in only on inclines and helps you move off by holding the car for a few seconds on the brake to prevent you rolling backwards. 

23 minutes ago, excession_ocp said:

Replying to one's self - but I've found the answer in the thread mentioned by Alex.S:

In my case I realised that this was only happening when I'd taken my seat belt off to open the gate at work then park in the yard!  Doh!

Mods, please feel free to lock this thread.  Lesson learned - always search before posting! 

Sorry - posted my reply in two parts before I saw all the other info. Glad you have it sorted. 
😃

Whole feature seems a bit haphazard to me.  Automatics have Auto-Hold too. Maybe I’ve just not figured out how to work it properly! 

I get the green A with an arrow round it, never seen it go red. Ignition button turns engine off and puts it in Park then I switch the park brake on. Tbh I don’t use it much but it is the main button next to the handbrake 🤔 

i presume the traditional red handbrake light comes on?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club