Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford fiesta 1.25 zetec 2016

Chris82fezza

I'm after a little help my engine seems a little noisy it starts off loud and gets quite as engine warms up I've had a oil change done and made it a little quieter but I don't think it seems right had it back to garage and they said some are louder than others this is a noisey one they said I'm not convinced it does it under load and while reveling goes away when revs drop back down but can be heard if throttle pressed lightly  sounds like a tappet noise or piston slap to me the car has only covered 13500 miles

17 minutes ago, Chris82fezza said:

I'm after a little help my engine seems a little noisy it starts off loud and gets quite as engine warms up I've had a oil change done and made it a little quieter but I don't think it seems right had it back to garage and they said some are louder than others this is a noisey one they said I'm not convinced it does it under load and while reveling goes away when revs drop back down but can be heard if throttle pressed lightly  sounds like a tappet noise or piston slap to me the car has only covered 13500 miles

Ps I have a video of the sound but I can't upload it as its to big as can only be 2mb

It might be a noise coming from the fuel combusting in the cylinders. Or it could be mechanical.

Try using the more expensive fuel to see if it runs quieter.

The 1.25 engine has good reliability. It might be yours is just a bit noisier than normal. 

I'm thinking of buying one for my next car, so I am going to be looking into this issue. I would be interested to know if the noise is due to a a problem, or is just normal.

Your mechanic is correct, completely normal behaviour even the 1.6 unit in my car has the same characteristics. The tapping noise you're hearing is more than likely the injectors for some reason they make a tappet type noise when cold. 

Hope that helps somewhat

Thanks for the relys it seems to be getting guieter I think the oil had been in the car to long and combined with small journeys and not warming up properly hasn't helped will keep updated if it gets worse but I honestly think it just needed a good service

The most likely source of the noise is the tappets when the engine is cold. When the oil warms up the oil pressure pushes the oil up thr tappets to the top and forms a cushion layer under the lifters. So it's a little bit noisy when the engine is cold and should be quieter when warmed up. 

So this is nothing to worry about and normal. Changing the oil every year using good quality oil to Ford specifications is important.

Some people listen to the noises by putting a metal rod on the engine and holding your ear against it, like a stethescope.

I'm still planning to upgrade to one soon once things get back to normal.

• 1 month later...

Here's a video of the noise

That is totally normal behaviour in one of these engines, it might sound bad but it's nothing to worry about :biggrin:

Ok thank u very much mate been worried sick 🤮 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club