Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging the car battery - lack of use

mightyoakbob

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, just to let you know, the car in question at the time was a 22 year old Celica GT4, however, it was a Toyota LOL So I guess I was lucky 😄...

Lucky indeed (plus a bit of Jap build quality!), I've had cars sub 10 years old ruined by being left for a few months! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Correct, I am talking from experience as In the last few years I have had the misfortune to have had critical illness on 2 occasions, both putting me out of action for more than 3 months. Both times my car started first time on my return with no issues...

Not everyone owns your car!

• Haha 1

I've always stuck by the advice in the handbook:

Avoid idling the engine in cold weather or for extended periods. Start the engine only when you are ready to set off.

Circumstances meant I did about 350 miles just before the lockdown, and I can legitimately do a 30 mile weekly round trip for essential supplies, which ought to do the trick. If not, I'll use the charger for similar reasons to @Nismex : I doubt 15 minutes idling gets the engine (particularly the oil) properly warm, you are using fuel, causing unnecessary noise/pollution and putting your car through extra cold start cycles.

• Like 3

My car is getting a bit of use as I am collecting shopping for a couple of vulnerable people.

Nice to be able to do a bit of driving actually.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VFR800 said:

I know, not even me anymore LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VFR800 said:

The amount of times I think this when reading posts on car forums... :laugh: 

Best one is when someone's got an EML on with potentially a hundred different causes, "it will be the XXX, happened to mine last week"... 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The amount of times I think this when reading posts on car forums... :laugh: 

Best one is when someone's got an EML on with potentially a hundred different causes, "it will be the XXX, happened to mine last week"... 🤦‍♂️

Hey Tom, you mean like this? LOL

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club