Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What tools do I need to do any work on a fiesta

TJ301102

I’m looking to start doing my own work on my fiesta mk6 just wondering what tools I need and what type eg imperial or metric

Whatever tools you get don't buy cheap as this is not a wise decision if you intend on a money saving venture. Buy only quality tools, I'm not saying buy 'Snap On' but the likes of Draper or Clarke Pro or Halfords Professional - Advanced.

Never buy cheap ratchets neither, they'll only fail under strain.

• Like 1

All nuts and bolts should be metric nowadays.

• Like 1

It's easy stripping down motor's, it's putting them back together right that needs skill. My brother was let loose with a socket set and spanners in the early 70's, stripped down a perfectly running Bantam, needless to say it never ran properly again, ever.

• Like 2

There are some tools and brackets and things that make life a lot easier.  Camshaft locking tool for instance.

It depends what you are doing.  Brakes you just need a decent socket set really.  A windback tool is useful to help push the piston in, or you can just use a lever of some kind.

Things like track rod ends often need a drop head spanner to get to the nut or an open-ring socket set to get a torx bit in the middle to stop the centre bolt turning.

Suspension struts are relatively simple but you MUST use spring compressors or you really could get hurt if you undo a strut without them.

Camshaft locking tools keep things from moving when you are doing the cambelt.

For anyone working on a car I'd say get the Haynes, or similar, then watch vids.  Make sure you have all the tools you need and take photos as you do it.  Start with simple jobs, oil change, air filter, pollen filter, spark plugs and get confidence and then go from there.

It is REALLY satisfying to do what is actually a simple enough job and save a fortune on labour charges.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

It is REALLY satisfying to do what is actually a simple enough job and save a fortune on labour charges.

Been doing that since 1984.

If you can blag a trade card, Halfords tools are probably the best bang for buck. No quibbles lifetime guarantee on all of the "advanced" tools (Ive never heard of anyone being refused a tool change).

However I bought this Bahco socket set for £120 on sale. It has every socket size I'll ever need I think. I wanted 6 point sockets compared to the 12 point Halfords were selling at the time (less chance of you rounding a nut).

You'll need a torx set too for pretty much every euro car. You can get a socket rail from Halfords for less than £20. I bought the full modular tray for £35 though as it includes inverted torx and a 7mm Allen Key bit (they dont generally come in most sets and are essential for taking the calipers off my focus).

Then it's just screwdrivers (Halfords again have a great set that can go on offer for like £6 or something silly). Also plyers, long breaker bar, trolley jack + axle stands, the list goes on...

39 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Halfords tools are probably the best bang for buck. No quibbles lifetime guarantee on all of the "advanced" tools (Ive never heard of anyone being refused a tool change)..

Son got a black limited edition set, pretty damn good set for £110.

s-l500.jpg

Buy a set of 6-sided impact sockets... I use them for everything 'cos unless the car is ❤️ years old you're gonna round off all your slightly rusted nuts and bolts. Then you'll be in trouble! I've replaced almost all of my Halfords socket set sockets with 6-sided ones now.               PlusGas penetrating oil is a must too, as is a stick of threadlock. A brake hose clamp and bleed nipple spanner also. Has anyone mentioned a cheap torque wrench? 

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

s-l500.jpg

Nice just looked on eBay £250👍

• Like 1

The Halfords sets are regularly on offer if you don't have a trade card.  I can't imagine anyone ever pays full price for them!

I've had 2 now, started with a small one (80 peice maybe?) in 2011 then upgraded to the 200 peice in 2014 and sold the smaller one.  Haven't broken any sockets or ratchets, just one adapter and several Torx bits, all replaced for free.

As above though, really depends on the job.  Most people's tool boxes will be adapted to the cars they generally work on.  As such, I have things like a 35mm hub nut socket, Peugeot clutch aligner and odd sized brake spanners due to the amount of 306s I used to work on...plus Triple Square/Spline tools for the VW/Audi etc.

A massive hammer and mole grips are pretty universal though! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Tube nut spanner like this for brake pipeshttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Brake-Fuel-Pipe-Flare-Nut-Spanner-10mm-x-11mm-31967/133035840593?epid=10017007915&hash=item1ef98dd451:g:sKYAAOSwuJRb0u96.    Re the mole grips mentioned above. You need good ones with very hard teeth. On the cheap ones, the teeth chew up / wear away too easily. You will never have everything, you can go on forever adding stuff

• Like 1

Love the enthusiasm in the guy, not many would go down this "rabbit hole" of starting to work on your own car. Let alone someone who doesn't even know what tools are required.

You really don't need much, that ratchet sent is nice but probably not needed, I have like 8 piece wrench set and a small socket set I think I bought from halfors for about 15 paunds, then invest in a separate ratchet that fits your sockets as the one with the cheep set is quite terrible but still usable. Then buy some sockets with a torx screws at the end. This is what I pretty much have and have not needed anything extra so far for the little fixes I did on my fiesta.

7 hours ago, williamweb said:

Nice just looked on Ebay £250👍

They're phasing this set out now and replacing it with a new lineup. The older ones had a lot of imperial sockets that nobody really uses anymore. Unfortunately the new sets are quite a bit more expensive atm.

10 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

s-l500.jpg

Yep! I thought about getting the 200 piece set, but wanted 6 point sockets. You just have to be careful with the black edition sets as many stores don't stock spares for them. They have to special order the socket/ratchet which can take a few days to arrive. That being said I doubt you'll have to ever take something back if it's just a weekend hobby lol.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club