Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bearing type noise ?

Adam1988
聽Share

Hi guys , need some help in pinpointing the problem with my 2007 mk2 1.8 focus , there鈥檚 a quite loud grinding/bearing noise upon start up and occasionally while driving, I鈥檇 like to say tensioner but the noise stops after about 10/15 seconds,

Any help would be great 馃憤

A mechanic鈥檚 stethoscope would help pinpoint where the noise is coming from. They鈥檙e quite cheap as well.聽

I used a long screwdriver just now to try and locate sound聽and I鈥檓 thinking it鈥檚 possibly the belt tensioner bearing? Would you agree?

11 minutes ago, Adam1988 said:

I used a long screwdriver just now to try and locate sound聽and I鈥檓 thinking it鈥檚 possibly the belt tensioner bearing? Would you agree?

Yeah sure why not. It鈥檚 impossible to say really from a video, but if your screwdriver test gives you confidence then replace that bearing and you鈥檒l soon know if you were right!

I鈥檓 going to say it鈥檚 the original water pump I think, so could be water pump bearing?聽

you need to take belt off and spin everything to check. on my wife's mk1 focus there was a noise聽but I could not tell exactly where it was coming from. Until on M1 a hundred miles from home the alternator聽belt came off. Closer investigation showed the tensioner bearing siezed and the plastic wheel melted from the friction of the belt. 聽had this been a car with the water pump driven off timing belt I may have been able to get home before battery went flat (although steering was a bit heavy) but I could not drive on as car was overheating due to water pump not turning as water pump driven by the alternator belt. Luckily I had RAC membership who brought the car home for me. But lesson learned, if there's noise I should make sure I identify what the problem is instead of shrugging my shoulders and scratching my head and leaving it for weeks.聽

Ok thanks for that , I will loosen belt off on the tensioner and spin ancillary聽to see if I can better locate , am聽i right in saying that if I can turn water pump by hand off the belt then pump bearings are shot ? Thanks again

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club