Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reasonable price?

n_hudson

So its time for a Cambelt and Waterpump change... and the thermostat is playing up, so that too. 

Ive been quoted £760 for all parts and labour by a local independent (£330 for just Cambelt/pump/coolant), does that sound reasonable or should I keep ringing round? 

Thanks, appreciate the replies guys and girls! 

:shocking:

Even Ford dealers don't charge that much...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, TomsFocus said:

:shocking:

Even Ford dealers don't charge that much...

Ford (online rotorcraft price) starts at £555 just for cambelt and water pump... 

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/motorcraft/repairs/timing-belts

On 7/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, n_hudson said:

So its time for a Cambelt and Waterpump change... and the thermostat is playing up, so that too. 

Ive been quoted £760 for all parts and labour by a local independent (£330 for just Cambelt/pump/coolant), does that sound reasonable or should I keep ringing round? 

Thanks, appreciate the replies guys and girls! 

I paid £286 (labour & parts) at a local independent (Midlands) for cambelt and water pump two years ago.  Is the £330 just for the parts?  If so, that's ridiculous!

34 minutes ago, n_hudson said:

Ford (online rotorcraft price) starts at £555 just for cambelt and water pump... 

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/motorcraft/repairs/timing-belts

But that's including labour!  Unless I misread your first post?  If I did, looks like Albert did as well lol.

If that's the case, how are your garage justifying £430 just for a thermostat change? :unsure:

5 hours ago, Albert27 said:

I paid £286 (labour & parts) at a local independent (Midlands) for cambelt and water pump two years ago.  Is the £330 just for the parts?  If so, that's ridiculous!

Sorry, no that was cambelt/pump all in. 

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

But that's including labour!  Unless I misread your first post?  If I did, looks like Albert did as well lol.

If that's the case, how are your garage justifying £430 just for a thermostat change? :unsure:

They said it’s the parts that are expensive and quite a long time, although mostly uncomplicated. 

With the thermostat, I can’t seem to find any online prices / forum posts to compare it to. -/+300 seems the norm for cambelt/pump change. 

8 hours ago, n_hudson said:

With the thermostat, I can’t seem to find any online prices / forum posts to compare it to. -/+300 seems the norm for cambelt/pump change. 

Ah ok, £300 is about right then.

There's no reason for the stat to cost that much, they're probably thinking of the 1.6 Zetec petrol engine!  For the 1.6 TDCi it's mounted on the right hand side, right at the top, very little labour involved.  The part itself costs around £40.

So, I just called another local Independent... now they seem a little "too" cheap at £395 all in...? All parts and labour...  booked in for tomorrow, I'll report back.. Im sure some(no)thing will go wrong lol

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club