Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2018 (mk3.5) Reverse Camera install

Super Simon

Hello all

I've been reading the forums for a while and I'm on the verge of buying a 2018 Focus ST Line X.

I was looking to buy one with a reverse camera installed but didn't have much joy finding one with all the extras I'd prefer. In the end, I decided I would look at how easy it would be to fit one myself.

Does anyone have a definitive guide on how it is done? I have read through the pages and there seems to be a lot of confusion in posts where people have fitted them to other models and/or older Sync units with varying degrees of work required. Some have even had to strip out the entire dash! 😥

If my future Focus has the 'grey plug' in the boot, how easy is it to install? And does anyone have a link to buy a quality camera, preferably with the proper Ford guidelines for reversing.

Thank you for any help you can afford me!

Anyone?

I've since bought the car, I can't readily see a grey plug behind the flap. It does have active parking assist and the rear sensors though so I assume it wouldn't be too much of a big task?

Just thought I'd post a quick update for anyone who may stumble across this in the future.

In the end, I plumped for the reverse camera kit from Empirical In-car Technology (https://www.in-car-install.co.uk/ford-focus-hatch-2015-2018-reversing-reverse-camera-kit.html).

It came with all the kit needed to complete the job, all the wiring, the loom, the camera (obviously) and a USB stick with all the instructions and installation images.

I installed it and I'm over the moon with it. Absolutely brilliant.

A brief summary of the installation steps:

1. Remove trim around the gear stick,
  2. Remove control panel,
  3. Remove trim around Sync unit,
  4. Remove Sync unit,
  5. Remove glovebox,
  6. Plug in new loom in to back of Sync unit,
  7. Run to new control unit and affix behind glovebox using a cable tie,
  8. Run cable from behind dash, behind the side trim and in to top of door rubbers,
  9. Run along passenger side door rubbers and through to tailgate,
  10. Through the rubber hose between the roof and tailgate and then behind the boot trim,
  11. Change tailgate handle to the one with the integrated camera,
  12. Test and then put everything back together.

Required tools:

1. T20 Torx screwdriver (make sure it is stubby to fit underneath the glovebox door),
  2. Trim removal tools, to avoid unnecessary scratches,
  3. Phillips head screwdriver to remove boot trim,

Optional tools:

1. Snake tool to assist running cables (I used a wire coat hanger and sellotape!)
  2. Needle nose pliers for that little bit of help just pulling the connector through the rubber hose in the tailgate,
  3. A small screwdriver/multitool to help releasing connectors.

Personal time to complete: 4 hours (but it can easily be done in a couple if you're comfortable with removing trim and taking things apart quickly).

The end result is a good quality camera with moving wheel lines and parking sensors.

Couldn't be happier and well worth it! Hope this helps anyone in the future.

ezgif-5-c7e6ffd0767d.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That video is interesting.  It shows the guide lines moving (I assume as you move the steering wheel).  The web site for the kit that you purchased says that the kit doesnt provide moving guidelines.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, Super Simon said:

Just thought I'd post a quick update for anyone who may stumble across this in the future.

In the end, I plumped for the reverse camera kit from Empirical In-car Technology (https://www.in-car-install.co.uk/ford-focus-hatch-2015-2018-reversing-reverse-camera-kit.html).

It came with all the kit needed to complete the job, all the wiring, the loom, the camera (obviously) and a USB stick with all the instructions and installation images.

I installed it and I'm over the moon with it. Absolutely brilliant.

A brief summary of the installation steps:

1. Remove trim around the gear stick,
  2. Remove control panel,
  3. Remove trim around Sync unit,
  4. Remove Sync unit,
  5. Remove glovebox,
  6. Plug in new loom in to back of Sync unit,
  7. Run to new control unit and affix behind glovebox using a cable tie,
  8. Run cable from behind dash, behind the side trim and in to top of door rubbers,
  9. Run along passenger side door rubbers and through to tailgate,
  10. Through the rubber hose between the roof and tailgate and then behind the boot trim,
  11. Change tailgate handle to the one with the integrated camera,
  12. Test and then put everything back together.

Required tools:

1. T20 Torx screwdriver (make sure it is stubby to fit underneath the glovebox door),
  2. Trim removal tools, to avoid unnecessary scratches,
  3. Phillips head screwdriver to remove boot trim,

Optional tools:

1. Snake tool to assist running cables (I used a wire coat hanger and sellotape!)
  2. Needle nose pliers for that little bit of help just pulling the connector through the rubber hose in the tailgate,
  3. A small screwdriver/multitool to help releasing connectors.

Personal time to complete: 4 hours (but it can easily be done in a couple if you're comfortable with removing trim and taking things apart quickly).

The end result is a good quality camera with moving wheel lines and parking sensors.

Couldn't be happier and well worth it! Hope this helps anyone in the future.

ezgif-5-c7e6ffd0767d.gif

That's a lot of money for a reverse camera, I bought one from amazon for £40 but looks like it's been half that in the past. Also Apim Connector with yellow composite connector for £25ish

6 hours ago, DaSingh said:

That's a lot of money for a reverse camera, I bought one from amazon for £40 but looks like it's been half that in the past. Also Apim Connector with yellow composite connector for £25ish

Have you got a link to the items that you purchased?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club