Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Lock doors when driving?

FezMan

Hi all,

picked up my Focus Vignale yesterday after upgrading from a titanium MK8 Fiesta and love it so far!

my question is, is there an option to have the doors auto lock when you start driving? I know I couldn’t do this in the Fiesta, but I’m reading the owners manual and there’s a section for ‘auto unlock’ which doesn’t seem to make sense.

In the picture you can see it says ‘autounlock occurs when the following happens....vehicle is traveling faster than 12mph’

Surely you’d want the doors to auto lock when traveling faster than 12mph if anything?! Or am I completely missing the point here..

01C5D27E-DF74-4FFC-BA8A-C86309FA9293.jpeg

Seems odd to me as well 😂 upto mk3. 5 it's been a no so probably not without coding it in yourself according to this by jw1982

The Autolocking functionality is available on every Focus model since the introduction of the Focus MK1.5 back in 2001. However this functionality is switched OFF as standard on all European versions.

On the MK2/MK2.5 and MK3/MK3.5 the Autolocking needs to be activated in the vehicle configuration. Once activated the Autolocking functionality can be switched ON and OFF (if needed) by performing the correct procedure.

Ford Europe does officially not support the autolocking function because of legal/responsibility reasons. The autolocking function is still present in the IDS and FRDS software but is greyed out and can not be activated. On the Ford IDS diagnostic system the autolocking function can still be activated from within the engineering mode of the program. However a normal Ford dealer does not use the engineering mode (or does not even know it exists). Because of this a European Ford dealer can officially not activate the autolocking function. 

However it is perfectly possible to activate the autolocking function on most European Ford models. On a Focus MK3/MK3.5 the autolocking function can be activated by enabling the autolocking function in the Central Car Configuration using a suitible diagnostic system. For example an ELM327 interface and the free FoCCCus (MK3) or Forscan (both MK3 and MK3.5 software.

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

Seems odd to me as well 😂 upto mk3. 5 it's been a no so probably not without coding it in yourself according to this by jw1982

The Autolocking functionality is available on every Focus model since the introduction of the Focus MK1.5 back in 2001. However this functionality is switched OFF as standard on all European versions.

On the MK2/MK2.5 and MK3/MK3.5 the Autolocking needs to be activated in the vehicle configuration. Once activated the Autolocking functionality can be switched ON and OFF (if needed) by performing the correct procedure.

Ford Europe does officially not support the autolocking function because of legal/responsibility reasons. The autolocking function is still present in the IDS and FRDS software but is greyed out and can not be activated. On the Ford IDS diagnostic system the autolocking function can still be activated from within the engineering mode of the program. However a normal Ford dealer does not use the engineering mode (or does not even know it exists). Because of this a European Ford dealer can officially not activate the autolocking function. 

However it is perfectly possible to activate the autolocking function on most European Ford models. On a Focus MK3/MK3.5 the autolocking function can be activated by enabling the autolocking function in the Central Car Configuration using a suitible diagnostic system. For example an ELM327 interface and the free FoCCCus (MK3) or Forscan (both MK3 and MK3.5 software.

You know what, when you put it like this I think I’ll just stay without it 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FezMan said:

In the picture you can see it says ‘autounlock occurs when the following happens....vehicle is traveling faster than 12mph’

Surely you’d want the doors to auto lock when traveling faster than 12mph if anything?! Or am I completely missing the point here..

It is designed that when you are traveling in rougher areas of town, the doors auto lock so you can't be hijacked at the traffic lights When you start traveling again, it unlocks the doors so that if/when you crash, the emergency services have a better chance of pulling you out.

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

It is designed that when you are traveling in rougher areas of town, the doors auto lock so you can't be hijacked at the traffic lights When you start traveling again, it unlocks the doors so that if/when you crash, the emergency services have a better chance of pulling you out.

This is my question though, how do I make the doors auto lock in the first place? 

ford have put this explanation in the manual of how to have them auto unlock but there is nothing on how to have them auto lock 

Try pressing the door lock button  on the drivers side 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FezMan said:

This is my question though, how do I make the doors auto lock in the first place? 

ford have put this explanation in the manual of how to have them auto unlock but there is nothing on how to have them auto lock 

This may be of help? I know it's a USA based video, but it must have some crossover with us...

Failing that, here's the 'search' link, bound to be something there of use...

USA Focus MK3 vehicles do have the Autolocking functionality activated as standard in the CCC (Central Car Configuration). On these vehicles the Autolocking functionality can easily be activated/deactivated using the procedure described in the video.

European Focus MK3 vehicles do not have the Autolocking functionality activated as standard in the CCC (Central Car Configuration). On these vehicles the Autolocking functionality needs to be activated in the CCC first before the Autolocking functionality can be activated/deactivated using the procedure described in the video.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, FezMan said:

FOCUE answered you.

It has to be switched on using an OBD connector and suitable software like Forscan.

A Ford dealer won't/can't do it for you.

I have a MK4, works fine on mine

Hmmmmm, I've not tried it, but....As Stephen Ford has said, if the door lock is activated at standstill, it'll auto unlock once it hits 12mph but under 12mph (or possibly at standstill) it'll lock again?

I like that. I'll give it a try next time I go out. 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club