Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portable 12v tyre inflator

GaryM72

I have a portable tyre inflator which I’ve used with a few different cars and my van but for some reason it seems the tyre valves on my 2018 ST Line seem to be different. When ***** on the adaptor air leaks from the valve stem like the adapter can’t tighten up enough. 
I can’t see how the valves can be different though?

Has anybody else experienced this? If not, which inflator do you use?

Thanks. 

Which compressor do you have? I have a 'Ring' made one which I've had for many years (probably over 10). The pipe screws onto the valve stem and doesn't leak when inflating.

I have no problems with it on my ST-Line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Which compressor do you have? I have a 'Ring' made one which I've had for many years (probably over 10). The pipe screws onto the valve stem and doesn't leak when inflating.

It’s a Mitchelin 12v inflator. 
It’s really strange but it’s not faulty as I’ve just successfully topped up my van tyres with it. 

Isn't a compressor standard issue with a tube of glue without spare wheel - i got one with the car. my other car gets a first aid kit as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Isn't a compressor standard issue with a tube of glue without spare wheel - i got one with the car. my other car gets a first aid kit as well.

There is one in the back of the car but assumed that was just to fill a flat tyre with the foam can? Either way it has an analogue gauge as doubt it would be too accurate. However, I didn’t pay that much attention to it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Yep, but those have an analogue gauge and does not cut out when upto pressure.  Most after-market ones have a digital gauge (my LCD is failing) and cuts off at desired pressure.

• Like 1

What's wrong with an analogue gauge? they got to the moon with them.

• Like 2

"...Either way it has an analogue gauge as doubt it would be too accurate."

Don't confuse resolution with accuracy - just because something is digital and might display three significant figures does not mean it is accurate to 0.1%.  A good analogue gauge will do for tyres pressures (unless you are Lewis!)

I have not used the supplied compressor with the goo kit, but I understand they are pretty good. (I use a "Dunlop Minor", brass and with a leather washer, to pump up, and a separate analogue gauge.)

• Like 2

You are talking about the champ  👍 blm so does wlm - alm

• 3 months later...

Rather than start off a new topic. Any recommendations for electric tyre inflators? I'd only be using it at home so mains powered would be ok (if there are any). 

Thanks.

I use a Ring compressor run off the car's 12v supply. Automatic cut off, digital gauge, screws on to the valve. I set the cut off 2 psi bigger than what I want as I find once the pressure settles and I've removed the connector, the pressure is just a little above what I want. Then I fine tune the pressure with an accurate and repeatable ANALOGUE gauge to set the final pressure. I can easily read mine to within 0.2 psi which is perfectly adequate. As mentioned above, don't be fooled by digital gauges reading to loads of imaginary decimal places. They are not necessarily any more accurate or repeatable than an analogue gauge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Rather than start off a new topic. Any recommendations for electric tyre inflators? I'd only be using it at home so mains powered would be ok (if there are any). 

Thanks.

At Christmas, Santa got me one of these: Ring RTC 1000  I've used it once so far, to top up air in a tyre, it is far quicker and quieter than my previous Ring one. It has the advantage of a valve to let air out if tyre is over pressured. This is of course useful if you rotate wheels around (front to back). It also comes with spare caps, if you ever loose one. It might be a bit expensive, but I'd certainly recommend buying it.

• Like 1

For anyone old enough to remember Esso "Tiger Tokens"  somewhere in the garage I have the 12V compressor that was in their range...........

But I do tend to use this one...

Footpump.thumb.jpg.30816d123926feb349ab2cc37d4fdcbe.jpg 

The gauge is my addition, from a modern monkey metal footpump whose welds came apart, and the return spring broke !  Similar to Waggy, I also check the pressures with a second stand alone analogue pressure gauge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments/recommendations. Most of the inflators do seem to run off the cars 12v supply. Do they drain the battery to a great extent, (given that many of us are having battery problems in the present situation)? Is it necessary to have the engine running to save the battery?

I've been getting all the "battery" running down problems, having to reset the BMS etc. I don't think the inflators take too much load, haven't measured it but I'd say less than the touchscreen. If I sit in the car listening to the radio, I soon get the dreaded start engine before the world ends warning, but I've never got anything like that whilst inflating the tyres with the engine off, no problem at all.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club