Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it a Duratec engine or Zetec?

Olib

Hi all,

I have a Fiesta Sept 2002 plate 1.4l 16v Ghia trim. I may be going mad but on the engine cover it says Duratec however I seem to remember it saying Zetec under the cover on the actual engine? I would like to know which is it as in the service manual it has descriptions for the Zetec, Zetec S Zetec SE and Duratec HE all have different service criteria. The previous owner also had the cam 'BELT' changed which would make me think it is a Zetec (unless its a Duratec and the garage tried it on with the belt)

On another note the front electric window heater (wired into the glass) is not working, could it be because of chips on the windscreen or is it something that could be easily fixed? *the light comes on on the switch and the windscreen has the wires through 

Many thanks,

The front heated screen has 2 circuits and 2 seperate fuses. Does the engine rpm dip when you turn it on? The other thing is, the wiring for the screen runs underneath the scuttle panel an did a known fault. The wiper arms are known for damaging the wiring.

duratec name of engine - Zetec trim/style of car

7 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

In was under the impression that zetec was the engine also, usually 16v version of the car? I could also be wrong of course, I am not a ford aficionado to the nth degree.😆

Yes, that's right. Not sure of exact dates but from very late 90s/early 2000s Duratec started to be used for engines and Zetec became purely a trim level. I think the Focus Mk 1 was the first Focus to use Zetec as a trim level, but it had been used on "sporty"versions of of the Fiesta previously.

Assuming it's a Mk6 it'll say Zetec SE on the cam cover, and Duratec on the engine cover.  Neither of which mean anything really, it's just a bit of branding.

Which service manual do you have?  The Duratec HE is the 1.8/2.0 engine from the Mondeo.  It wasn't fitted to the Fiesta until 2005 when the ST150 came out so seems odd that it should be mentioned in your service book! :unsure: 

Zetec and Duratec are both marketing product names that were used by Ford that were used for several different engine families.

Back in the 90's Ford introduced the Zeta engine family. The Zeta engine family consisted of a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 4-cylinder Petrol engine. However because at the time the Zeta name was a registered trademark of Lancia Ford was not allowed to use the Zeta name for marketing and decided to use the Zetec name instead. At a later time the al new Sigma engine family was introduced and also called Zetec. The Zetec umbrella contained the following Petrol engine families:

* Zeta --> 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 Zetec E.
* Sigma --> 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 Zetec S / Zetec SE.

In the early 00's the Zeta engine family was discontinued and the Sigma engine family was heavily further developed and a lot of technical changes were made (the bottom end even changed from a closed deck design to an open deck design). At that time Ford dropped the Zetec marketing product name for their engines and placed the Sigma engine family under the umbrella of the Duratec marketing product name. 

The Zetec trim level name has nothing to do with the Zetec engine names. The Zetec trim level name is primarily used in the UK. Other countries do not know the Zetec trim level at all. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 7:41 PM, Gymfocused said:

The front heated screen has 2 circuits and 2 seperate fuses. Does the engine rpm dip when you turn it on? The other thing is, the wiring for the screen runs underneath the scuttle panel an did a known fault. The wiper arms are known for damaging the wiring.

Thanks Gymfocused, No change in rpm although I can hear a click behind the panel when I press the switch so that part must be doing something. 

Thank all, yep under the Duractec air filter the engine casing states 'Zetec SE'. I don't have the service book on me just now but it must be a generic one that they gave with several models as it has a list of different engines with different maintenance schedules for each

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Olib said:

Thank all, yep under the Duractec air filter the engine casing states 'Zetec SE'. I don't have the service book on me just now but it must be a generic one that they gave with several models as it has a list of different engines with different maintenance schedules for each

Is there anything specific you're after with regards to servicing?  You can check service schedules from a reg or VIN via the ETIS website.  Need to register but it's free to do, just make us some company info lol.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You can check service schedules from a reg or VIN via the ETIS website.  Need to register but it's free to do, just make us some company info lol.

I think you might be able to get the basic servicing info without registering, instructions on Ford website:

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/servicing-and-repairs/servicing/find-service-intervals-on-etis

It works for my car (2018) don't know how far back it goes for older models, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think you might be able to get the basic servicing info without registering, instructions on Ford website:

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/servicing-and-repairs/servicing/find-service-intervals-on-etis

It works for my car (2018) don't know how far back it goes for older models, though.

Good spot!  Just tried it for my old 2008 Focus and works fine.  With all that kerfuffle it's probably quicker to register though! :laugh:  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Good spot!  Just tried it for my old 2008 Focus and works fine.  With all that kerfuffle it's probably quicker to register though! :laugh:  

Yeah, probably. At least this way though you'd avoid the email messages that I keep getting starting "Dear Registered Operator........." !😀

5 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, probably. At least this way though you'd avoid the email messages that I keep getting starting "Dear Registered Operator........." !😀

And the fact you have to change the password every other week! :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2020 at 11:37 PM, Olib said:

Thanks Gymfocused, No change in rpm although I can hear a click behind the panel when I press the switch so that part must be doing something. 

The screen wiring OK? 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, Gymfocused said:

The screen wiring OK? 

Ive taken off the A frame covering, the metal strips are in tact, gonna get an electrician to measure the resistance over it

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club