Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync Update Mk8 2019

Mavroz

OK, so today I had a notification that there was an update to sync on my car.

Followed all the instruction, downloaded to memory stick and installed. Absolutely no problems.

Nice new sync update.

The issue is now the Ford Pass App no longer shows any of the car info such as tyre pressure,location, the door unlock or lock is no longer there.

Have uninstalled ford pass app, reinstalled, re entered vin etc etc.

Have master reset sync.

Still nothing. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

In the car Sync3 are all the connectivity settings still set to on ?

Yeah, sync 3.3 or 3.4 now I think, all connectivity on, modem is active as the car is connecting to wifi..

Was fine before update.

Bizarre

Modem connectivity uses gprs via inbuilt sim (not wifi) to send and receive data with Ford. I'm sure its still connected as that's,the default but still worth checking in settings menu.

Yes, everything says it is connected.

Tried a reset and reconnecting today and still nothing on the app. Ford FAQ seem to suggest a modem reset, activation or connect via sync but there isn't the option they suggest either. 

I guess I can live quite happily without the app as the sync is now 3.4 and maps are F9 which is what I was looking to achieve although the app not communicating with the car is bizarre.

I have even looked at the instruction after master reset before selling the car and reconnecting to the car but the options just aren't there.

When passing the dealer I might have to pop and ask them when the inconvenient lockdown ends....

Edit...

Finally running.

Needed to re authorise connection with the modem which the Ford Pass App was not allowing me to do. 

Ford Pass Pro app allowed me to activate and authorise though.

Hi

I tried updating the latest software a week ago with the car in the garage and using wi-fi.

It showed as downloading and i sat there for a while waiting. I then got the message the car was shutting down (to save battery i think?) so i connected to a CTEK charger and left ign on again - still downloading.

The software is still showing as version 3.0 so it didn't work 😞

Does anyone have step by step 9idiot proof) instructions to do the update via USB?

I did mine via USB and it took around 15 minutes to update sync to 3.4. As soon as sync was updated, the automatic updates over WiFi started working and maps F9 downloaded. These took a whe to download and maybe 20 minutes of sat with engine running to update.

Nothing difficult about usb update, just have to upload the log file back to Ford when it has completed.

Possibly a daft question... but if you do an update via USB, can the car update Sync while being driven?

Just done the update to 3.4.... it looks a bit, erm, basic, compared to 3.3! I’ve noticed the logos for the radio stations have gone which doesn’t help with the overall impression.

4 minutes ago, JordanRowland said:

Just done the update to 3.4.... it looks a bit, erm, basic, compared to 3.3! I’ve noticed the logos for the radio stations have gone which doesn’t help with the overall impression.

The DAB logos will get fixed in a future update, it's already rolling out to Kugas. You can install the file manually, but easier to wait for the official download.

It's much nicer when they are working, the artwork fills the background of the audio screen.

• Like 1

Hi.

I have managed to update to Sync 3.4 and would like to update the maps.  When I download the map file I get two files SyncMyRide (file folder) and auto install.lst (LST File) however the instructions say I should also have a file named DONTINDX.MSA which I do not have.  I have unzipped the files to a USB drive but still only have the two files.  I have noted that file DONTINDX.MSA is used on the Sync 3.4 update and wondered if I should copy over on to the map update USB drive.  Anyone had the same problem, any help greatly received.

Dave

Just now, Blackbird14 said:

Hi.

I have managed to update to Sync 3.4 and would like to update the maps.  When I download the map file I get two files SyncMyRide (file folder) and auto install.lst (LST File) however the instructions say I should also have a file named DONTINDX.MSA which I do not have.  I have unzipped the files to a USB drive but still only have the two files.  I have noted that file DONTINDX.MSA is used on the Sync 3.4 update and wondered if I should copy over on to the map update USB drive.  Anyone had the same problem, any help greatly received.

Dave

It's not an important file, it literally means "Do Not Index" (this USB), so the Sync system doesn't waste time indexing it.

If the drive is otherwise empty, it will still install fine.

At worst, it will slightly delay the start of the install process. I wouldn't worry.

Hi Alexp999

Thank you for the speedy and helpful reply.  I will try to install as soon as possible and let you know the outcome.

Thanks Dave

On 1/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, Mavroz said:

Yes.

Thank you 😊

In the same vein, if you're starting from Sync 3.0 I guess it doesn't jump straight to 3.4...?

On 1/18/2021 at 4:05 PM, JordanRowland said:

Now that is strange, I have DAB Station logos. 

I play a lot of music from memory stick and am looking into album art or track art. Will see what that looks like.

Indexing is a lot quicker.

Overall, the update to Sync 3.4 is worthwhile I feel. The display to me does look crisper and higher definition than it did on 3.3. Sync feels a lot faster as in moving through tracks, selecting DAB stations seems easier and more user friendly, especially the colours etc.

Automatic updates now work when connected to WiFi although it is a pain having to have the engine running outside for the period of time it takes a download.

The only thing I don't like at the moment is the fact the sync display defaults back to the home page on each startup of the engine / power cycle.

It doesn't stay on the DAB screen or music player screen for example.

This may be a setting or user default that possibly can be changed but I haven't found it yet.

I was told there is a sync 3.5 being released either now or very soon. Will see what that contains when available. I am not sure they have a what's new or update log to show what has actually been updated or changed.

F9 maps seem similar to F8, just road updates, changes, new roads added I guess.

So its still a case of having the car engine running to update sync system and the maps?

How long roughly to update sync system?

And then maps?

Thanks

Just checked ford website and mine also says update available

According to them the car engine does not need to running to update.

Also has anyone attempted to update over wifi or would it be quicker doing it via USB?

Tempted to try the wifi method as my car is near the router.

21 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Also has anyone attempted to update over wifi or would it be quicker doing it via USB?

I did the actual sync update via USB, took about 20 minutes.

Once I had done that, the maps updated automatically over a few days.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I did the actual sync update via USB, took about 20 minutes.

Once I had done that, the maps updated automatically over a few days.

I will do it via USB then.

So with map updates its done automatically, do I need to initiate the update at all via the sync screen, also I take it the maps would only update when connected to home wifi and engine running as well?

23 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I will do it via USB then.

So with map updates its done automatically, do I need to initiate the update at all via the sync screen, also I take it the maps would only update when connected to home wifi and engine running as well?

What i did was start the car. Go to automatic updates and it started to download it. I then turned the car off locked it and walked away. It seemed to download that one, and then when i next got in it it started to download the next file for the maps, finished it off when it was back in wifi range. I think it did this about 4 times as there was around 4 seperate files to download

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

What i did was start the car. Go to automatic updates and it started to download it. I then turned the car off locked it and walked away. It seemed to download that one, and then when i next got in it it started to download the next file for the maps, finished it off when it was back in wifi range. I think it did this about 4 times as there was around 4 seperate files to download

Excellent thanks, my car is in wifi range so hopefully will do similar then over time, will get the sync update downloaded first at weekend.

Did you have any issues with car info disappearing from ford pass app, like the OP had after updating?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Did you have any issues with car info disappearing from ford pass app, like the OP had after updating?

Nope not for me. Ford Pass app still works. 

But I did have issues with the app a couple of months after I bought the car.  It was sorted by the dealer doing a PCM update.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club