Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perishing Tyres....

Tiexen

I've just had the 1st MOT (and a service) on my 2018 Fiesta it passed but they have put an advisory that the tyres are starting to "perish" (this is a Ford main dealer)
When I queried this they said Michelins tend to do that - would I like to buy a new set of tyres?

Car has done under 10,000 miles and like most of us i've done very little running in the last year (apparently the chemical that prevents the tyre from drying out and cracking is released when the tyre is moving), tread depth is 4.5mm on all 4 (Michelin 195/55 R16 original tyres made 2017)

So how long before slightly perished becomes MOT fail - should I get them changed in the Autumn and if so whats a good replacement?

I did a quick Google on this, they say those petroleum based tyre wall gloss products can accelerate perishing as does uv sunlight, keeping car outside in all weathers and wait for it....oxygen 🙂

probably manufacturers forced to manufacture tyres in an environmentaly friendly way will now exclude substances which may prevent perishing.

I have had around 3p cars throughout my life, keeping each one for 3 years on average, I have had budget and mich's and have never garaged a car, and on each car I have owned usually had one tyre change due only to tread wear NEVER perishing

I've had the opposite experience...always buying used cars I've often had slightly perished tyres!  There's no telling how much longer they may last but there's no MOT fail for perishing.  Only fails if deep cracks appear anywhere or if the tread starts coming away - hopefully the driver would notice without waiting for the next MOT though.

Tyres mainly degrade in UV light, so you may find one side worse where it's been parked in the sun over lockdown.  It's much better for a tyre to keep moving regularly though water and salt do also degrade them.  Scuffing kerbs and my personal pet-peeve of parking with a tyre deformed over a kerb speeds up the degradation process as well.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do to stop them degrading.  Rubber perishes, that's why we have to change cambelts (which are protected from the elements for a longer life) and why half the forum has a wet interior from leaky seals.  Realistically, there's no point buying super premium tyres when doing low mileage as you won't wear the tread out before they perish.  I'd go for something like Avon ZV7s in this case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

Car has done under 10,000 miles and like most of us i've done very little running in the last year (apparently the chemical that prevents the tyre from drying out and cracking is released when the tyre is moving), tread depth is 4.5mm on all 4 (Michelin 195/55 R16 original tyres made 2017)

My car is 2017 with same wheels and original tyres and half the mileage.   Mine show no sign of perishing.

"Scuffing kerbs and my personal pet-peeve of parking with a tyre deformed over a kerb speeds up the degradation process as well."

You can always see how good a driver is by looking for scuffs on OSF wheel.

Back on topic - My last set of winter tyres were condemned after only 5 years because of splits on all of them on the shoulder.  Not many miles and stored in the dark during the summer.  Recently changed all the tyres on a Sierra as they were 12 years old....

• Like 2

Tyres can degrade over time. I am very surprised them doing from only 2/3 year old, especially Michelins. My PS4s don't. I have know from people Bridgestones can crack over time. We have some from 2016 (OEM) and they have cracked on the edge. They passed the last MOT, but were told to keep an eye on them.

rsz_img_20200921_181035298.thumb.jpg.e61c482aa62e45bc3648928ed1e79713.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club