Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil light

Linzi89

Hi guys 

I have a ford fiesta titanium 1.6 I had a mega service done last year 20.02.2020 and on the 19th of Feb this light came on my dash board and says oil needs changing next service? I've been told I don't need a service until I've done 12,000 from the last service due to it being a diesel engine? Anyway I've checked the manual and it says I've got fuel in my oil??? How do I find out if I need a service or if there is infact fuel in my oil? Do I just take it for a service? Being a woman it's hard to find the right garage that won't rip me off (which has happened in the past) please can someone help me? Thank you 

Hi,

service intervals are 12,000 miles OR 12 months, whichever comes first.  The dash light is simply warning you that it has been 12 months since it was done.

oil degrades over time, and while idling in traffic, so can't just be done on mileage alone for low mileage cars.

I would recommend having a minor/short service (basically just oil and filter change) now.  Then the 12k/12 month interval starts again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, if you're only a low mileage driver you should still be having an oil change every 12 months anyway. Even if the car is not driven much, oil will still degrade from condensation within the engine etc.

Coincidentally my car's in for MOT tomorrow and I'm having an oil and filter change at the same time even though it's only done a couple of thousand miles in the last 12 months due to lockdown etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't care what the manufacturers claim, and some are saying 2 years for an oil change, I would always change my oil at 12 months.   In my view, saving on oil is false economy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys for taking time out to help me! I think it's baffling how the manual says one thing and the car another? So do you guys think I should just change oil and filter instead of a full service? And wait till next year for a service

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Linzi89 said:

Thank you guys for taking time out to help me! I think it's baffling how the manual says one thing and the car another? So do you guys think I should just change oil and filter instead of a full service? And wait till next year for a service? 

Yes oil and filter change👍

23 hours ago, Bobr said:

I don't care what the manufacturers claim, and some are saying 2 years for an oil change, I would always change my oil at 12 months.   In my view, saving on oil is false economy.

Here here! I like to have an MOT and service at the same time

I've just worked out that I've done 4177 miles since last service. I'm so confused as to what the best thing for me to do is! 🤦 Should I spend £150 on a full service or £40+ on an oli and filter change? They should learn u this at school! Haha 

As said above, it's 12 months or 12000 miles, whichever comes first, so ideally you should have a service and oil change now. But that assumes you can afford it, whether the car is running ok and when the MOT is due. A lot of people, like me, have the service and MOT done at the same time, it just gets it all out of the way at one go, but there is a risk of getting ripped off, that's definitely not just a girly thing. The best way of avoiding excessive rip off is to use the same garage each time and try and build up a relationship. If you're strapped for cash, just do the oil change now. If the MOT is not too far away, perhaps wait and have everything done together. There's no easy answer I'm afraid!

1 hour ago, Linzi89 said:

I've just worked out that I've done 4177 miles since last service. I'm so confused as to what the best thing for me to do is! 🤦 Should I spend £150 on a full service or £40+ on an oli and filter change? They should learn u this at school! Haha 

Just oil and filter change.  Air filter and fuel filter (full service) are recommended every 3 years so no need for those again so soon.

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just oil and filter change.  Air filter and spark plugs (full service) are recommended every 3 years so no need for those again so soon.

Lol I think Linzi mentioned it was a diesel😀

Like the other guys, I normally have an MOT at the same time as service work anyway.  Car's having MOT and oil change at the moment in fact, as I mentioned earlier.

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol I think Linzi mentioned it was a diesel😀

Whoops! :laugh:  Edited to fuel filter...no one will ever know! :wink: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Linzi89 said:

Thank you guys for taking time out to help me! I think it's baffling how the manual says one thing and the car another? So do you guys think I should just change oil and filter instead of a full service? And wait till next year for a service? 

Absolutely Linzi

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club