Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 pre-facelift SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 upgrade for late 2012, 2013 and 2014 models

JPW

Hi Guys,

I'm converting from Sync1 to 3, first tests were functional, but I cannot get the doorlock to work. I changed the blank button to get it working connected Pin 2 from the FASCIA to Pin 10 on the Button. 

On the Button Pin 10 an 12 are connected when the Button is pressed and Pin 12 is already wired. But unfortunately the doorlook doesn't work.

Could anyone tell me what I did wrong and how I have to connect the button to get the doorlock to work.

Thank

Okay, got it sorted, I took the wrong wire (Doorlock indicator) from the FASCIA.

Now everything is working fine except for the Rearview camera. PDC is beeping, but I get a "camera not working" message in Sync3...has anyone an idea?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone

That's just great work you did @JPW.

I'm wondering, does this work for an MK3.5 (facelifted)? I have the basic version 2017 Focus SE 1.6l (flex fuel) with Sync 1 4" and I got the entire hardware from a 2016 Titanium (APIM, ACM, USB hub, cables for Apple Car etc. Even got the donor car VIN and still can get some more parts from it at the junkyard it is stored). But now I need the cable and programming, but I'm not that tech savvy to mess with the cables so a conversion harness would be great and still keep the original harness intact.

@Rowan112, you still in the game of making those conversion harnesses? I live in Brazil and I couldn't find any good solutions over here, but I think I can get access to the connectors, so maybe we could negotiate for the project of your harness and then I try building it here if it gets crazy expensive to send one to Brazil.

4 hours ago, Rafael Scheid said:

Hello everyone

That's just great work you did @JPW.

I'm wondering, does this work for an MK3.5 (facelifted)? I have the basic version 2017 Focus SE 1.6l (flex fuel) with Sync 1 4" and I got the entire hardware from a 2016 Titanium (APIM, ACM, USB hub, cables for Apple Car etc. Even got the donor car VIN and still can get some more parts from it at the junkyard it is stored). But now I need the cable and programming, but I'm not that tech savvy to mess with the cables so a conversion harness would be great and still keep the original harness intact.

@Rowan112, you still in the game of making those conversion harnesses? I live in Brazil and I couldn't find any good solutions over here, but I think I can get access to the connectors, so maybe we could negotiate for the project of your harness and then I try building it here if it gets crazy expensive to send one to Brazil.

give us a pm, i am still creating the harness and i have actually made significant improvements to it

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,
I've recently upgraded from bv/vc to Sync3 following your guidelines. Thanks a lot for all the info ! 

The only thing I can't manage to solve is the fact that the front fascia is not working (no light, no buttons response). I've checked the wiring multiple times, everything seems to be ok. All the other functionalities on SYNC work fine, including steering wheel buttons and climate screen functionalities. Any advice about what I could check ? I've tried with other front fascia device and it doesn't work either.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:15 PM, Lukas3399 said:

Hey guys,
I've recently upgraded from bv/vc to Sync3 following your guidelines. Thanks a lot for all the info ! 

The only thing I can't manage to solve is the fact that the front fascia is not working (no light, no buttons response). I've checked the wiring multiple times, everything seems to be ok. All the other functionalities on SYNC work fine, including steering wheel buttons and climate screen functionalities. Any advice about what I could check ? I've tried with other front fascia device and it doesn't work either.

it is either your wiring or programming. get a multimeter and do a continuity test to see if you're getting continuity to the wiring.

what car did your sync3 came from?

On 9/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, Rowan112 said:

it is either your wiring or programming. get a multimeter and do a continuity test to see if you're getting continuity to the wiring.

what car did your sync3 came from?

checked with multimeter and I do have voltage on all the pins of the front fascia connector, except grounds.

what programming settings should I recheck ?

I don't know what the donor car is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started making my own improved conversion harnesses that makes the installation even easier.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec358ddc531e60cb09912e4ea8cbfcc1.jpeg

i bought sync lead from ROMAN112 works 100% plug and play got item next day 100% good seller

Hi

Just looking for some advise before I start.

My centre console USB isn't removable; how much of an issue will this be? Should I buy a new centre console? (ebay) or can I salvage from the one I have?

Also not sure if this is part of the update but my focus doesn't have the current speed as an option on the drivers display. By going from sync1 to 3 will this update that display? (given me the speed read out) or is that something that's done elsewhere?

I've found it difficult to find those exact model numbers..it is any sync 3 from 2016-2018 right? this one? the USB hub this one?

Cheers for the awesome guide!!!

20221009_161323_70.jpg

4 hours ago, supajason said:

Hi

Just looking for some advise before I start.

My centre console USB isn't removable; how much of an issue will this be? Should I buy a new centre console? (ebay) or can I salvage from the one I have?

Also not sure if this is part of the update but my focus doesn't have the current speed as an option on the drivers display. By going from sync1 to 3 will this update that display? (given me the speed read out) or is that something that's done elsewhere?

I've found it difficult to find those exact model numbers..it is any sync 3 from 2016-2018 right? this one? the USB hub this one?

Cheers for the awesome guide!!!

20221009_161323_70.jpg

since you have a pfl 2013, i would suggest going to the armrest center console pfl where the handbrake is closer to your knee.

the fl one is a really big upgrade

2 hours ago, supajason said:

Thanks Rowan.

Are you saying I should move the handbrake? that seems like a big job, no? Here's a full picture of the centre console. Would this be the replacement https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175371111543

111111111.jpg

no it's not a big job, only issue is you gotta disconnect the handbrake cable and put the new one in which the eBay listing you've sent has everything needed for the upgrade.

Hi

I realise this is a very old thread but wondered if the SYNC 1 (2013) to SYNC 3 harnesses are still available?

12 hours ago, Lewis_ST said:

Hi

I realise this is a very old thread but wondered if the SYNC 1 (2013) to SYNC 3 harnesses are still available?

yes mate, give us a pm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Want to give a big shout out to @Rowan112 for helping me with my SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 conversion. Been using it for a couple of months now and it's AMAZING! so much better than the sync1. I changed the center console and sync conversion all on the same day; 

Would highly recommend the cable he sells; it has all the bits and works perfectly!!

vlcsnap-2023-01-07-14h37m06s873.png

vlcsnap-2023-01-07-14h36m16s197.png

vlcsnap-2023-01-07-14h35m36s295.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade went all fine but my reverse camera isn't clear and sometimes cuts out, its like its double vision, is there a setting or something I have to change? as I have tested both the sync RCA input and camera output both are fine.

11 hours ago, OverRated said:

my reverse camera isn't clear and sometimes cuts out,

That sounds like either a faulty camera , or a loose connection. Software settings would either work all of the time or not at all.

10 hours ago, unofix said:

That sounds like either a faulty camera , or a loose connection. Software settings would either work all of the time or not at all.

I did think that but I tested the camera output on a old TV using the AV input and it was perfectly fine, I also tested the sync 3 input with a old PS2 and it seem to hold the signal and had full color, I really don't know what the issue is. I have photos of all 3 here.

It reminds me of a PAL vs NTSC issue but i hardly think that would be the case.

• 1 month later...

I have 2014 Focus SE with 4” sync 1 no digital/dual heat.

looking to get 8” set with sync 2 (Sony) from same year.

does anyone know if my existing harness would work out of the box or will need to change pins like for sync 3?

thank you!

hi everyone

i am new to the forum so please be gentle! lol 

sorry to resurrect a very old thread but i am trying to do a sync 1 to sync 2 conversion on my 2013 ford focus titanium navigator estate  and was wondering if anyone has created a conversion harness for this just before i start cutting into my existing loom to try and follow the guide on here.

i have found sync 1 to sync 3 harnesses but don't know if they would work for mine?

any help will much appreciated thanks 

On 3/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, chris powell 63 said:

hi everyone

i am new to the forum so please be gentle! lol 

sorry to resurrect a very old thread but i am trying to do a sync 1 to sync 2 conversion on my 2013 ford focus titanium navigator estate  and was wondering if anyone has created a conversion harness for this just before i start cutting into my existing loom to try and follow the guide on here.

i have found sync 1 to sync 3 harnesses but don't know if they would work for mine?

any help will much appreciated thanks 

Same here, looking for info on sync1 to sync2 harness and apim pins difference.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club