Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 pre-facelift SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 upgrade for late 2012, 2013 and 2014 models

JPW

Use the ChipEx website - enter a reg for a quote and the VIN is in the address bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JackoJacko said:

If you're able to get hold of them, could you get the VIN for FA18 ESO if possible please?

WF05XXGCC5JT30926

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, Mattinho18 said:

Also, my nav doesn't seem to be working. The GPS is plugged in but it has a random location and doesn't move at all. Any ideas?

Are you coming from Sync 1 or Sync 2?

If Sync 1 and your car came with GPS you can just use your original GPS antenna, if Sync 2 then you'll need an aftermarket GPS antenna. If it's plugged in and in a place with a fair view of the sky then I would suggest the antenna is not compatible/not working.

I have an additional question of my own for anyone who has done this.

I've heard on the grapevine that updating the firmware of the APIM and setting the C1MCA illumination gateway value in ForScan allows you to select the 'Auto Dim' option on later Sync 3.4 software versions.

Does anyone have access to UCDS to grab some firmware files for me, or has anyone done this and can confirm the grapevine?

4 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

JT30926

You beat me too it 🤣

I knew it was WF05XXG_ _ _ JT30926. Just missing the middle 3 letters/numbers 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm so nearly there 😂 Really happy with how it looks. Thanks for sorting the VIN. I've run into another issue - wrote to BCM with no issues. However, as soon as I clicked Write to IPC, a loud pop comes out of the Speakers, the car resets and this error comes up saying Unknown ECU. Does anyone have any ideas? My fascia buttons aren't working but I know that's going to be down to my wiring - something to sort at the weekend.

20230606_193838.jpg

20230604_185637.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JackoJacko said:

as soon as I clicked Write to IPC, a loud pop comes out of the speakers,

That is actually quite normal.

Don't know about the message. You need some help from Wilco @JW1982, he might know the answer.

• Like 1

What gps unit is best? Have bought two so far and neither has worked 🤷‍♂️

On 6/7/2023 at 7:36 AM, Mattinho18 said:

What gps unit is best? Have bought two so far and neither has worked 🤷‍♂️

https://amzn.eu/d/8LzVX5N

I ended up buying this one but sometimes I still get the GPS malfunction message, but it will kick in after. I can't say it's the best but it seems functional enough. I'll be using Android Auto for my sat navigation anyway

On 6/6/2023 at 7:43 PM, JackoJacko said:

I'm so nearly there 😂 Really happy with how it looks. Thanks for sorting the VIN. I've run into another issue - wrote to BCM with no issues. However, as soon as I clicked Write to IPC, a loud pop comes out of the speakers, the car resets and this error comes up saying Unknown ECU. Does anyone have any ideas? My fascia buttons aren't working but I know that's going to be down to my wiring - something to sort at the weekend.

20230606_193838.jpg

20230604_185637.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much. FoCCCus isn't the most reliable or up to date bit of software and as far as I am aware the IPC is only a backup of the config and isn't actually referenced anywhere so as long as the BCM is up to date then that's fine.

You could also make the necessary changes within ForScan itself if needed.

Can confirm the pop and reset is normal 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:16 PM, Rowan112 said:

I ended up creating a sync1 to sync3 adapter loom using the wiring diagram, it fully works and no problems.
no need to cut, splice or repin anything.

image0.jpg

Hi mate im doing an upgrade on my kuga its 2015 plate its got sync1 with dab reverse camera already installed do you sell the wireing loom you made?also the hazzard switch looks different to the sony sync1 unit what do i have to do for it to work on sync3 any advice would be brilliant  many thanks my email is jason.williams2375@gmail.com 

bonjour,

j'ai une ford focus de 2014 avec syns1 sur lequel il y a la navigation, est ce que les modifications sont les memes?

benoit

Hi I'm newbie and would like to thank members with their comphrensive instructions on this subject I want to do this to my car and would like to contact Rowan112 to confirm whether he would make a wiring harness for my Focus 2013 Titanium X upgrade from sync 1 to sync 3

Hi im also looking for someone to do me a loom aswell sync1 to sync 3 i have a kuga 2015 titanium x sports with park assist and reversing camera already in the sync1 i tried with a loom from eBay and the unit come on but nothing else dab wasnt working or the gps and the steering controls amd reverse camera wasnt working also the display and the front panel dont work volume only the hazzard switch. when i turn the heaters on didnt come on the screen tbh im pulling my hair out.i was left with a small plug which connected to the sync1 screen which wouldnt go anywhere please someone help i dont mind traveling to get this done and will pay thanks 

If you want to contact Rowan, then PM him as he might not check the thread very often. I believe he's also on holiday for the entirety of June, so I suspect you won't hear from him for a while.

Though to answer the HVAC query - the HVAC repeater can work but most turn it off as the driver and passenger temperature zones are reversed. I have completely disabled climate in Sync 3 as the Focus never had it due to it already having a separate HVAC panel.

2 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

If you want to contact Rowan, then PM him as he might not check the thread very often. I believe he's also on holiday for the entirety of June, so I suspect you won't hear from him for a while.

Though to answer the HVAC query - the HVAC repeater can work but most turn it off as the driver and passenger temperature zones are reversed. I have completely disabled climate in Sync 3 as the Focus never had it due to it already having a separate HVAC panel.

Hi have tried contacting him direct but no reply yet the adapter i bought i think its wrong because im left with the plug thats goes into the old screen not connected and cant use the front pannel or steering controls and the driver assit is disabled its doing my head right in i dont mind loosing the hvac display but the park assist and reversing camera dont work nor does the dab 

Just now, Jay23wales said:

Hi have tried contacting him direct but no reply yet the adapter i bought i think its wrong because im left with the plug thats goes into the old screen not connected and cant use the front pannel or steering controls and the driver assit is disabled its doing my head right in i dont mind loosing the hvac display but the park assist and reversing camera dont work nor does the dab 

Quite a few of the online harnesses aren't correct and are designed for North American cars.

Either you can make the wiring modifications yourself as the start of the thread, or wait for Rowan to acknowledge you and build you a custom harness. 

Most of the other issues you've mentioned there sound coding related though - have you done the coding changes using ForScan?

Park assist and reversing camera need to be enabled in the APIM configuration. I think Rowan posted the ASBUILT changes in a reply to me in this thread somewhere.

Are you coming from Sync 1? If so, your DAB issue will be that you need to plug the DAB antenna that went into the back of the old screen into the back of the ACM instead of the one that was in the back of the ACM already (black cable IIRC).

1 minute ago, dontpannic said:

Quite a few of the online harnesses aren't correct and are designed for North American cars.

Either you can make the wiring modifications yourself as the start of the thread, or wait for Rowan to acknowledge you and build you a custom harness. 

Most of the other issues you've mentioned there sound coding related though - have you done the coding changes using ForScan?

Park assist and reversing camera need to be enabled in the APIM configuration. I think Rowan posted the ASBUILT changes in a reply to me in this thread somewhere.

Are you coming from Sync 1? If so, your DAB issue will be that you need to plug the DAB antenna that went into the back of the old screen into the back of the ACM instead of the one that was in the back of the ACM already (black cable IIRC).

Hi thanks mate yea i think its the wrong cable no havnt got that far yet mate ive put the old sync1 back in a min.the sync1 had dab already and the reverse camera it also had reverse direction monitor the plug which is yellow has 4 pins init i dont mind paying someone to do it for me its all been cut out ready to fit thanks for the replay mate

1 minute ago, Jay23wales said:

Hi thanks mate yea i think its the wrong cable no havnt got that far yet mate ive put the old sync1 back in a min.the sync1 had dab already and the reverse camera it also had reverse direction monitor the plug which is yellow has 4 pins init i dont mind paying someone to do it for me its all been cut out ready to fit thanks for the replay mate

When i plug it all in and from the blutooth module behind the glove box im left with the small plug which connects to the old sync1 it want connect anywhere on the loom i got 

2 minutes ago, Jay23wales said:

When i plug it all in and from the blutooth module behind the glove box im left with the small plug which connects to the old sync1 it want connect anywhere on the loom i got 

It might not need to. Not everything needs to plug in as long as Sync 3 has all the connections it needs, and if it's turning on and you've got audio then the other bits might not necessarily be required.

DAB - take the black Fakra connector from the back of the old screen and plug that in to the black socket on the ACM alongside the white one.

Fasica - coding related

Park Assist - coding related

Reverse Camera - coding related

Sounds like fundamentally your system isn't too far away, but you need the coding sorted before it'll work properly.

30 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

It might not need to. Not everything needs to plug in as long as Sync 3 has all the connections it needs, and if it's turning on and you've got audio then the other bits might not necessarily be required.

DAB - take the black Fakra connector from the back of the old screen and plug that in to the black socket on the ACM alongside the white one.

Fasica - coding related

Park Assist - coding related

Reverse Camera - coding related

Sounds like fundamentally your system isn't too far away, but you need the coding sorted before it'll work properly.

Yea someone has tried putting one in before by the look of it as its all been cut out the 2 round plugs plugged straight back in to the new dvd player ill have to put some pictures up when i get back u can see what i mean then.at first it wouldnt come on shut the door when up to the house to get the front pannel about 4mins come back opened the door and it come on but want come on with ignition it waa playing normal radio but couldnt turn it up or nothing ive put the old sync back in for a min and reverse camera and park assist works again dont know why the front pannel want work.do u do the upgrades mate.

I don't do upgrades for people, I just did mine (with the help of Rowan) on my Titanium X.

There are things I can't get working and probably never will (the grey dynamic parking lines are gone), but the camera and sensors and auto park work fine.

26 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

I don't do upgrades for people, I just did mine (with the help of Rowan) on my Titanium X.

There are things I can't get working and probably never will (the grey dynamic parking lines are gone), but the camera and sensors and auto park work fine.

Its the same as mine then because i can zoom in with my camera and got the grey direction line im not botherd about that tho aslong as the park assist works i dont even mind about the display for the hvac on urs was the small plug which was plugged into the sync 1 screen unused or did it plug into the loom and the front pannel with power button and volume the hazzard switch works but thats it thanks for helping mate im pulling my hair out and the plig going to the bluetooth module behind the glove box 

On 6/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, dontpannic said:

Just found out it is the wrong wiring loom i bought its for the usa fords no wonder it dont work have u got a screenshot of the asbuild mate cant find it thanks 

On 6/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, dontpannic said:

Use the ChipEx website - enter a reg for a quote and the VIN is in the address bar.

Hi mate ive got a vin number of a kuga with sync3 init same as mine where can i download the asbuild for for me to load it onto my car many thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club