Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 pre-facelift SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 upgrade for late 2012, 2013 and 2014 models

JPW

Hi everyone.

First off, what a great guide! I wouldn’t have known where to start with this upgrade without this and the follow-up comments.

So, I’ve just upgraded my 2013 Titanium from sync 1 to sync 3 using the harness from AliExpress mentioned in a previous post. Everything seems to have gone to plan except for one thing: I don’t have the parking sensor image or the green/yellow/red lines when I put it into reverse. I still get the beeps, but I don’t get the “Park Pilot” image that I used to have in sync 1. The car just has the 4 rear sensors (no camera and no auto-park features).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried changing a couple of things on Forscan, but no joy so far. 

3 hours ago, TheAdmiral said:

Hi everyone.

First off, what a great guide! I wouldn’t have known where to start with this upgrade without this and the follow-up comments.

So, I’ve just upgraded my 2013 Titanium from sync 1 to sync 3 using the harness from AliExpress mentioned in a previous post. Everything seems to have gone to plan except for one thing: I don’t have the parking sensor image or the green/yellow/red lines when I put it into reverse. I still get the beeps, but I don’t get the “Park Pilot” image that I used to have in sync 1. The car just has the 4 rear sensors (no camera and no auto-park features).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried changing a couple of things on Forscan, but no joy so far. 

I’ve managed to fix it. In case anyone else comes across the same problem, I had to go to:

7D0-02-02 xxxx-*xxx-xxxx 

on APIM asbuilt and change * to 2

• Like 2

Only vaguely on topic here but thought I'd put my experiences of firmware updating both the APIM to MY18.5 firmware (to enable Calm Screen and DAB logos) along with updating the firmware on the ACM to the latest.

APIM firmware was a quick and painless process -  took all of 10 minutes to download and apply the firmware via Forscan. I needed to re-apply the ASBUILT data twice in order to clear the configuration error DTC but after that, all worked fine and error free. I just left the engine running during this process instead of having the car on the charger.

The ACM was a bit more squeaky bum. I left the engine running as I did before but this time the firmware took a lot longer to flash - about 30 minutes start to finish. The log suggested one failure but after a retry it worked fine - HOWEVER, I strongly recommend the battery charger recommendation. The ACM firmware upgrade disables most of the cars functions while it is going ahead - windows wouldn't operate, neither would the locks, HVAC - even the engine start/stop buttton. Leaving the engine running meant that after about 10 minutes of the process, I believe the fuel pump shut off - the engine started rough running and shaking around while it slowly died and I couldn't even put it out of its misery early by pressing / holding the engine stop button. Even the throttle pedal was a no-go.

After the engine died the battery survived long enough to finish the firmware update successfully at which point the car came back to life and I was able to restart the engine - was a bit hairy for a little while though.

Not sure if it's placebo or not but the sound quality does appear to have improved somewhat - a less muddy sound with the centre dash speaker connected.

• 3 weeks later...

@TheAdmiral Nice to see you've made the upgrade with success. Maybe I'll need to PM you if it's OK for you😊

What is the configuration of your Focus ? (auto or manual climate, auto parking or juste sensors? )

Is the harness from Ali good in terms of quality, and shiped quickly? I hesitate a little between buying it forum Ali or from @Rowan112 ...

Think I'll do the upgrade this summer, when I'll have the missing parts (fascia and USB Hub).

Hi,

I am looking to go from Sync 1 to Sync 2 in my 2012 focus as I'm not too fussed over the car play etc I havre bought a cheap harness off eBay which has arrived and I'm just weondering if anyone has used one on here and if they actaully work, my sync 2 unit isn't here yet so i can't check that way just don't want to rip the car apart if its not going to work, I can add pictures of the connectors if that would help confirm.

Also i have no arm rest in mine and it looks as though the USB hub is all part of the arm rest and doesn't look like it comes out seperate has anyone done it with the no arm rest before and know if it does come out.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, smr said:

s-l1600.jpg

Couldn't find anything to say I'm not allowed to post this so if it's not ok a mod can delete but you may know I was looking at buying a Sync 3 upgrade and did so, fitted successfully and really enjoyed it until my car was written off a couple of weeks ago so I'm selling the complete Sync 3 kit - this includes everything except the USB Hub but as I'm an Android user I didn't need that, and I also didn't buy a radio as you can use your existing one.

So this includes everything as an Android user you'd need - fascia, Sync 3 screen and APIM, Trim, Wiring Loom, GPS and bracket. 

PM me if you're interested in buying.

i can't message as i'm a new user but i'd be very interested as this is next on my task list for Parental Leave - I've got a preface lift Focus 2013 with emergency assist, auto stop-start and manual climate control. It doesn't have parking sensors or rear camera - if this will work please message.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:34 PM, Rennie said:

Hi,

I am looking to go from Sync 1 to Sync 2 in my 2012 focus as I'm not too fussed over the car play etc I havre bought a cheap harness off ebay which has arrived and I'm just weondering if anyone has used one on here and if they actaully work, my sync 2 unit isn't here yet so i can't check that way just don't want to rip the car apart if its not going to work, I can add pictures of the connectors if that would help confirm.

Also i have no arm rest in mine and it looks as though the USB hub is all part of the arm rest and doesn't look like it comes out seperate has anyone done it with the no arm rest before and know if it does come out.

Just an update to anyone looking for the harness, the one on eBay I purchased and it was incorrect, I have bought the one mentioned from Aliexpress further back in this thread. I am installing sync 2 at the moment but will be going to 3 in a couple of months.... Went with 2 for now to keep the cost of it all down while working out how to get it working as I am not confident doing the wire changes on the car wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you instruct me to connect the turn signal switch on both sides and the door lock switch to this mask?

ae411a01-68e8-4382-adc8-61d9fafa342f.jpg

Hi Team, I wanted to ask if there is still an option to get a customized harness for my Sync1 to Sync3 conversion project which is stalling because of a faulty Chinese harness. 

@Rowan112 Could you perhaps help me with this? I have also tried sending you a PM...

Many thanks to all of you guys for any help!

Best Regards

/Evan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club