Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car key fob help

stevejwalford

I am trying to identify the inside of the spare key I got with my car.

It used to unlock the car with the buttons but the battery died. It then sat doing nothing for a few years. I came to it the other day and there is no battery in it. 

Ideally I would like you guys to help identify the remote so that I can get the correct battery for it.

185826915_2547767692067704_4524839317304340038_n.jpg186319570_487072449080721_5801873939012330866_n.thumb.jpg.72b6f7e34b01ed97f2fd55c3554e2713.jpg

6 hours ago, stevejwalford said:

I am trying to identify the inside of the spare key I got with my car.

It used to unlock the car with the buttons but the battery died. It then sat doing nothing for a few years. I came to it the other day and there is no battery in it. 

Ideally I would like you guys to help identify the remote so that I can get the correct battery for it.

185826915_2547767692067704_4524839317304340038_n.jpg186319570_487072449080721_5801873939012330866_n.thumb.jpg.72b6f7e34b01ed97f2fd55c3554e2713.jpg

Usually a CR2032 battery.

• Like 1

Slide the battery out of it's holder and it will have a part number stamped on the battery.

• Like 1

He said there is no battery in it. :rolleyes:

But yes, it's almost certain to be a 2032.

2 hours ago, mjt said:

He said there is no battery in it. :rolleyes:

Whoops, I missed that bit. I'm getting on a bit now. 🙃

Even without the battery, you can still work out what it takes. The battery number directly relates to the size, so a 2032 would be 20mm diameter, and 3.2mm height. It's likely to be a 20mm diameter battery, and if you have an accurate gauge, you can measure the height gap.

If you can't measure the height accurately, do your best and get as close as you can. If you get it wrong, the worst that will happen is the battery will either fall straight out, or won't squeeze in!

I replace a lot of 'watch' batteries where for some reason the owner thinks they are helping by throwing the old battery out! LOL

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Even without the battery, you can still work out what it takes. The battery number directly relates to the size, so a 2032 would be 20mm diameter, and 3.2mm height. It's likely to be a 20mm diameter battery, and if you have an accurate gauge, you can measure the height gap.

If you can't measure the height accurately, do your best and get as close as you can. If you get it wrong, the worst that will happen is the battery will either fall straight out, or won't squeeze in!

I replace a lot of 'watch' batteries where for some reason the owner thinks they are helping by throwing the old battery out! LOL

Thanks Steve, I have measured a battery that fits in but is too thin. I used my digital calipers and I have worked out the battery I need is a CR1632.

I have now ordered 5 from amazon to give it a try 🙂

Thanks to all who commented 🙂

Only remote fob batteries we ever fitted on ford fobs were 2032 ,2025 and  2016. 

The CR1632 batteries arrived.

The key fob would not initially unlock / relock doors etc.

I checked to make sure the fob was giving out an RF signal using my dads RF scanner - All OK

Had to reprogram the fob using the other key 4 times from position 1 to 2 in the ignition. The car did not beep like I have seen in videos on YouTube but once I pressed a button on the existing key it then beeped. Then I pressed a button on my spare fob which also made the car beep.

Both remotes now working as intended :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevejwalford said:

The CR1632 batteries arrived.

Both remotes now working as intended 🙂

Now, who doesn't love a happy ending, glad you got the correct batteries...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club