Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk4 Driver Assistance Pack Opinions

FrankR

Hi everyone, just purchased a used 2020 Focus and I wanted it with the Driver Assistance Pack, but couldn't find any with it. Am I missing much? Is it that useful in everyday's life and is it worth thinking about mounting it aftermarket, if possible at all?

Thanks

It's horses for courses really.

I'm of an age where I can live without blind spot, collision assist, speed recognition etc., so I switch off as many as I can.

Other people love them and like the assistance.

• Thanks 1

DA pack on the Mk4 is adaptive cruise, auto high beam and traffic sign recognition.  So really it depends where you drive...  Adaptive cruise seems very useful if you drive a lot of 'steady' traffic (not so much in stop/start or empty motorways).  Auto high beam is also great if you drive dark, twisty country roads regularly.  TSR only seems to flash up no overtaking signs so I'm not sure that's worth it.

It can all be retrofitted using Forscan.  You may need a different radar for the adaptive cruise.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your replies. I only care about the adaptive cruise control really as I will have long motorway commutes to do soon. The alternative cars I had considered both had it (CX-30 and 1 Series). So FORScan by going to a Ford dealer?

Every Golf has had it since 2013 so it's a bit poor of Ford not to be fitting it to Mk4s imo!

Forscan is a free PC program for home use, similar to Ford's systems though.  You just need a modified ELM cable (around £20) and a laptop to use it.

I'd like the adaptive cruise but my issue with all this stuff is that it can't be turned off.  You might have seen my rants about collission assist but I HATE it.  I have at least disabled auto braking but the wretched thing still goes off regularly.  I'm not a speeder nor a tailgater.  I want to turn it off completely but I can't.

Yeah Forscan you would have to do yourself.  There's lots of info about it and it's also worth having as a fault code reader.

I have DA package, and you can turn off both adaptive cruise and auto high beam if you wish.  It's on mine but not sure if it's part of the DA package, the plainly dangerous cruise "Intelligent Mode"  where the car read the speed limit via traffic sign recognition and accelerates to that speed, no matter what the traffic is like.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

DA pack on the Mk4 is adaptive cruise, auto high beam and traffic sign recognition.  So really it depends where you drive...  Adaptive cruise seems very useful if you drive a lot of 'steady' traffic (not so much in stop/start or empty motorways).  Auto high beam is also great if you drive dark, twisty country roads regularly.  TSR only seems to flash up no overtaking signs so I'm not sure that's worth it.

It can all be retrofitted using Forscan.  You may need a different radar for the adaptive cruise.

I believe the Focus ST has traffic sign recognition which it uses for changing the speed limits if you use cruise control or the speed limiter? I've never know it to flash anything up, is it supposed to?

8 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

I believe the Focus ST has traffic sign recognition which it uses for changing the speed limits if you use cruise control or the speed limiter? I've never know it to flash anything up, is it supposed to?

Not sure if it's on all models or just those with DA, but on mine there are two icons in the dash display, one shows the speed, and on VERY rare occasion the other will display things like no overtaking zone ( by rare I think mine has come up once in the last two years)

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 01.44.09.jpeg

Yeah, I don't think the DA pack was standard even on the ST3 so TSR and adaptive cruise will only work if it was chosen as an optional extra.

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I don't think the DA pack was standard even on the ST3 so TSR and adaptive cruise will only work if it was chosen as an optional extra.

I'm talking about the Mk4 ST were I believe it is standard. Never seen anything other than speed signs.

If only there was another way of finding out what the road signs are saying.  If only cars had windows. 😂

3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I'm talking about the Mk4 ST were I believe it is standard. Never seen anything other than speed signs.

Oh, your profile still says 2013 ST3 lol. :tongue:  It should be standard on Mk4 yeah. 

As far as I know it does only pick up no overtaking signs unless there are any other round prohibition signs on your route (no U turn maybe), it doesn't pick up triangular warning signs as far as I'm aware, making it a bit pointless!

3 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

If only there was another way of finding out what the road signs are saying.  If only cars had windows. 😂

Tbf, it is easy to miss signs in an unfamiliar area...the amount of people that sit on the ring road at 30mph passing sign upon sign displaying '40' is mad! :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf, it is easy to miss signs in an unfamiliar area...the amount of people that sit on the ring road at 30mph passing sign upon sign displaying '40' is mad! :rolleyes: 

Agreed, it also doesn't help when they drop the speed limit by 10mph on nearly every road in your area without warning

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club