Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mark 1 Tddi 1.8 PATS code 23

Thatchers friend

I do hope there isn't already a thread but I did search.

The title says it all really, 2004 1.8 wouldn't start & after doing the normal things, fuel filter, injector hoses & calling a mobile mech we thought it was solved. It did start & run but then let us down , AA got it going, we got home but then died again. The immobiliser is stopping the fuel with PATS code 23. Has anyone managed to overcome this without huge expense? Car belongs to an 83 yr old for whom just searching for another car is pretty traumatic. He is still very able & not ready to give up entirely just yet.

Thank you

Hi Tina, welcome to the Ford Owners Club.

I assume you have a 2004 Focus Mk1 - 1.8 Tdci (just checking).

The fault relates to loss of comunication between the PCM and the fuel injector control. Given I see from your post that work has been done on

9 minutes ago, Thatchers friend said:

fuel filter, injector hoses & calling

I would start by checking that all plugs and connectors that have been disturbed during that work have been put back correctly. Also the cabling is getting old and will be brittle and prone to breaking at the point going in to connectors. Check also for signs of corrosion of the pins on the plugs. The fault could be at the PCM end of things but I think it more likely that the problem will have been caused by recent work

Many thanks, no it is a Tddi, as per heading. An auto electrician came out thinking it was a straight key/immobiliser problem due to the manic flashing of the light but it was trying to crank. He then read the flashing code given out which is PATS 23. Apparently the bit on the top of the fuel pump not talking to the ignition & shutting off fuel. By plugs do you mean injectors? Those hoses were old & changed thinking it was a straight fuel starvation problem. We will go back over everything disturbed but would it throw up the 23 code?

Tddi - OK 👍

Electrical plugs - connectors plugs & sockets. The connector that plugs the fuel pump in to the rest of the car wiring.

It's very difficult to prohibit at diesel engine from running from a security point of view. On a basic diesel engine as long as the engine is already hot and there is a fuel supply you could bump start it and it would run. So to try and prevent the theft of diesel engined cars the fuel pump is intelligent and is part of the PATS security sytem.

If the PCM is not happy with the communications with the fuel system then the PATS system will not allow the car to start.

Many thanks, we will check all the connectors. I fully see the reason behind the immobiliser shutting off the fuel & know that is what has happened. My question was if anyone else had a fix other than a replacement fuel pump at eye-watering prices.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club