Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Front wheel bearing replacement

jlawes20389

Hi all,

I'll soon be tackling a front wheel bearing on my partner's MK3 which is on the way out.

I have access to a press etc but just wondered if anybody had any tips before I start it?

The Focus MK3 uses a so called GEN2 wheel bearings at the front. On a GEN2 wheel bearing the bearing is an integral part of the wheel hub. This means that in case of a defective wheel bearing the complete wheel hub needs to be replaced.

1.jpg

2.jpg

GEN2 wheel bearings require special tools for both disassembly and assembly of the hub from the hub carrier. With GEN2 bearings a hydraulic workshop press does not bring much. Most GEN2 toolkits use a threaded rod to pull the bearing into the hub carrier. Some professional toolkits use a hydraulic ram.

Be aware that GEN2 bearings are not standardized. Most car manufactures that use this bearing/wheel hub design have their own dimensions. This means that you need a specific GEN2 toolkit that is suitable for the Focus MK3 bearings. 

• Like 3

Thanks Wilco, that leaves me with some thinking to do as looks completely different to what I've read and seen myself.

I may need to look at changing the hub instead in that case

2 hours ago, jlawes20389 said:

Thanks Wilco, that leaves me with some thinking to do as looks completely different to what I've read and seen myself.

I may need to look at changing the hub instead in that case

That's a bit excessive. A guy on here local to me done my MK2.5 gen2 bearing and it didn't take long at all. @stef123

True, it may be a bit excessive but it's the partners car and if it's off the road too long i won't hear the end of it haha.

Going to ask a friendly mechanic I know if he can swap the bearing if I give him the hub, save me the hassle then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlawes20389 said:

True, it may be a bit excessive but it's the partners car and if it's off the road too long i won't hear the end of it haha.

Going to ask a friendly mechanic I know if he can swap the bearing if I give him the hub, save me the hassle then

Lol how bad is it? Is it rumbling on roundabouts and slight side to side movement? 

Yep, play in the wheel and also a nice rumbling sound. The mechanic I spoke to didn't want to touch it helpfully but have spoken to someone from my local boatyard who has changed them before and has offered to do it so all sorted (once I drop the hub to him!)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club